• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South West Australia - Help needed! (1 Viewer)

S Crisp

Help need to identify birds from some poor shots! All seen in the South West of Perth, Australia.
Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0063_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0063_edited-1.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0179_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0179_edited-1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0217_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0217_edited-1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0379 copy.jpg
    IMG_0379 copy.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0354_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0354_edited-1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 80
1-2 Female Carnaby's Black Cockatoo
3 No idea, can't figure this out at all
4 No idea........about ready to bin the field guide
5 Yellow-rumped Thornbill

Andy

1 and 2 really cannot see how Carnaby's or Baudins can be conclusive for either of these because the bill length is not discernible enough
As already said
4 Inland Thornbill with the heavy streaking and red eye
5 Yellow Rumped Thornbill

3 with the black eye band and white from the forehead circling around the head I 'd have to agree on Yellow Rumped Thornbill as well. No streaking on breast and I think the light/editing gives an unnatural color to the breast and back of bird.

Last edited:
1 and 2 really cannot see how Carnaby's or Baudins can be conclusive for either of these because the bill length is not discernible enough
As already said
4 Inland Thornbill with the heavy streaking and red eye
5 Yellow Rumped Thornbill

3 with the black eye band and white from the forehead circling around the head I 'd have to agree on Yellow Rumped Thornbill as well. No streaking on breast and I think the light/editing gives an unnatural color to the breast and back of bird.

Only female Carnaby's has a whitish bill or at least that what my field guide shows?

Andy

Only female Carnaby's has a whitish bill or at least that what my field guide shows?

Andy

Female Baudin's also has a whitish bill.

The Slater field guide illustrates the females of both species, whereas the Simpson & Day and Pizzey field guides illustrate only the female of Carnaby's. Presumably this is to save space on the illustration plate. The text accompanying the plates, in both these field guides, does indicate that both Carnaby's and Baudin's females have pale (Simpson & Day) or whitish (Pizzey) bills.

Based on what I can see of the bill in the photos here, and comparing that to what I see on the Carnaby's that come to trees near my home, I'm inclined to think that the photos also show female Carnaby's Black Cockatoos.

Female Baudin's also has a whitish bill.

The Slater field guide illustrates the females of both species, whereas the Simpson & Day and Pizzey field guides illustrate only the female of Carnaby's. Presumably this is to save space on the illustration plate. The text accompanying the plates, in both these field guides, does indicate that both Carnaby's and Baudin's females have pale (Simpson & Day) or whitish (Pizzey) bills.

Based on what I can see of the bill in the photos here, and comparing that to what I see on the Carnaby's that come to trees near my home, I'm inclined to think that the photos also show female Carnaby's Black Cockatoos.

Thanks for clearing that up Bruce, guilty of not reading the text, I thought it was a bit too easy!

Andy

I'm also pretty confident the Cockatoo who's bill you can see is a Carnaby's. Much more difficult bird to get a good enough view of to identify, than most visitors expect I think!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back