• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pycnonotus barbatus (Common bulbul), Marrakech (1 Viewer)

IamFof

England
Very common, especially, in parks and gardens.
The Moroccans love to plant fruit trees. 2 of the commonest street trees, appeared to be Oranges and Olives, while in the parks; Olives, Oranges, Pomegranate and Dates.
Certainly, where the Orange and Pomegranate are concerned, nobody bothers picking or anything.
I didn't hear a single complaint from the Bulbuls the whole time I was there.
Fof

Attachments

• P1060776.jpg
    P1060776.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 9
  • P1060814.jpg
    P1060814.jpg
    512.8 KB · Views: 14
  • P1070587.jpg
    P1070587.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 15
The orange tree in the photo is ornamental (we call it ‘wild orange’), and their fruits are not edible by humans.

That being said, Common Bulbuls and locally House Sparrows are not considered pests and generally people are not bothered by their presence around their trees.

At home we have several fig trees, and the bulbuls are the first to taste the fruits when they start to ripe. The same for the single loquat tree we have, they are the first and last to eat from it.

Mohamed
Thank you for that piece of info.
I never considered a "wild orange", as the fruit always looked yummy, like the rest of the fruit availabe everywhere.
Fof

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back