• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Roger Vine: XD 10.5x44 Review (1 Viewer)

Samolot

See attached link.

"Even more than the 8x33 model, these XD 10.5x44s are virtually an Alpha binocular. They are highly recommended for non-specs wearers, but only if sufficiently discounted compared to the premium brands."

He was really not a fan of the eyecups and the shorter-than-advertised eye relief and kidney-bean blackouts.

Also not sure what "sufficiently discounted" means. Why not call it "virtually an alpha binocular" and call it a good value since it MSRP's for half of what an EL 10x42 would cost. Unless he means that it's not a good value at cost, but then why call it an alpha binocular in the same sentence. Just found it a rather peculiar way to end the review.

As a side note, I have been loving the flurry of new reviews on Roger Vine's site.

Cheers

http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/Kowa105x44.htm

He has a lot of catching up to do, the Leica 10X50 HD+ was up there for months, and I am thinking is he done with reviews.... then boom, four reviews almost at once. I do enjoy his reviews, easy reading to get an idea of a specific bino or refractor. I enjoy his other writings as well.

Andy W.

The Roger Vine review sums up nearly everything. To add a few things:

The Kowa 10.5x 44 has a wider FOV (353') than most 10x42's so I tend to think of it more as a possible alternative to an alpha 10x50. They are shorter and slightly smaller than the UV HD + 10x50 but about the same weight. The weight of the Kowa helps hold it steady. Performance against harsh light is the best I have seen, even better than the Nikon EDG series.

Right now they are only $200 less than the SW 10x42 SLC @ $1399 vs $1599. I got my Kowa about two years ago for $1100.

Mike

They do have more FOV than the 8.5X44 does, the weight was not an issue for me, however the eye-cups did not work for my facial structure. For what ever reason, the Zeiss FL series and most Leicas, and most Nikons fit my eye sockets. I have to verify others first, and it was disappointing for some models with excellent optics, and other very good ergonomic features, but the eye-cups just ruled them out. Perhaps since many of the eye-cup designs today are wide/thick, not sure if they are geared more for eyeglass users.

Andy W.

Just in case anyone was curious - I did inquire Kowa about the possibility of swapping the Prominar Genesis eyecups for the new ones on the BDii XD as they appear a little thinner on the rim.

This is not possible sadly.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back