• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IPD and binoculars for small faces? (1 Viewer)

My wife has an extremely narrow IPD (~54mm I would estimate) and most binoculars are unusable for her. In my experience it can be variable depending on the model and the minimum IPD spec is not always 100% reliable.

Leica Ultravids seem to be one of the best model lines overall for narrow faces. My wife now has an 8x32 UVHD and it accommodates her IPD with room to spare, which is a first! The 32mm UV has a minimum IPD spec of 52mm, Allbinos measured it at 52.8mm. I just crudely measured with a ruler and the distance between the middle of the eye lenses does appear to be between 52-53mm.

Even the Ultravid 42mm models seem to be nearly as narrow -- they are spec'd at 55mm, and Allbinos measured the HD and HD+ models to be slightly narrower (54.4 and 54.2 mm).

As others have noted Zeiss FL seem to be on the narrow side as well. So if shopping in alpha price territory, those seem to be the two lines to target.

Interestingly, my wife also was able to use my Meopta Meostar 8x32 without issue. Even though it has a much wider minimum IPD spec (58mm, Allbinos measured at 57.1mm). However I just measured mine and it does appear closer to 55mm. Who knows.

However the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30, which I tried for her because of the 55mm min spec, was always problematic. But it could work if you have a few mm extra vs her very small IPD. I would assume the same for the similar clones like Maven 8x30. That would be a good target at a more moderate budget, the 42mm Monarch 7 models also appear to have a 55mm minimum.

A dark horse on a more limited budget is the Sightron 8x32 SII "Blue Sky" (as well as the Pentax 9x32 clone). It has slender barrels and an open bridge, and the min IPD is around 54mm. My wife is able to use them, and they are a great value in the ~$200 range.

Last edited:
I just crudely measured with a ruler and the distance between the middle of the eye lenses does appear to be between 52-53mm.

It's better to measure from the left edge of the left eye lens to the left edge of the right eye lens.
If you want to do it really precisely, put a caliper across both eyecups and subtract the diameter of one eyecup.

John

Interestingly, my wife also was able to use my Meopta Meostar 8x32 without issue. Even though it has a much wider minimum IPD spec (58mm, Allbinos measured at 57.1mm). However I just measured mine and it does appear closer to 55mm. Who knows.

However the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30, which I tried for her because of the 55mm min spec, was always problematic. But it could work if you have a few mm extra vs her very small IPD. I would assume the same for the similar clones like Maven 8x30. That would be a good target at a more moderate budget, the 42mm Monarch 7 models also appear to have a 55mm minimum.

I wish I knew the Meostar 8x32 was a possible fit a while back when I was shopping for a mid range 8x32. Reviews were great but I never gave it a look due to the stated 58mm min IPD.

Regarding the Monarch 7 8x30, I feel like there are different production runs with some that are able to collapse down more than others. I have tried a few pairs that didn't quite work for me when almost all other 56mm IPD spec'd models will. Then I have found a few that have room to spare. I recently took a chance and bought the 10x30 and they have room to spare on my 56ish IPD--probably would work for 55mm or 54mm. The small eye cups on the Monarch 7 x30 are a bonus for small faces. The glare on the other hand...

I'm in Eitan's camp here. I just measured my Cabela's version of the Meostar and the IPD appears to be around 53mm. It's a great binocular. My personal preference is for narrow eyecups which it has as well.
Peter

Good day Pat,
To clarify, the idea of buying the Canon was more of an exercise in determining what a good view with proper IPD and ER would look like. The model mentioned in this thread is available for less than $50 so I thought it may be worth a chance. Probably it is not since it may require repairing.

If they were in good working condition, $50 would be a decent deal as that is about what I have into mine. I got mine in a trade deal where I traded a very old non-working guitar (wall hanging art basically) worth about $100 for 2 pair of 60's MIJ porro binos and the Canon's were easily the better of the two. I sold the other pair of Soligor 7x50's for $50 so I figure I got a great deal! I just measured the old Canon 7x35 IPD with a caliper and find it goes down to 50.8mm! I use it much closer to 60mm but my wife as I said before is much smaller. She prefers the Canon 7x35 to my Oberwerk 10x42 Sport ED simply because they work better for her IPD.

I wish I knew the Meostar 8x32 was a possible fit a while back when I was shopping for a mid range 8x32. Reviews were great but I never gave it a look due to the stated 58mm min IPD...

There’s no way that spec is accurate. I posted a few photos of my wife’s UVHD and my Euro HD. Measuring a little more carefully the Leica clocks in at spec close to 52mm, and the Euro HD is just a hair wider, around 55mm at most.

Attachments

• 4AF07AA7-3E95-476C-92C1-A494FC107DAA.jpeg
    4AF07AA7-3E95-476C-92C1-A494FC107DAA.jpeg
    303.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 75ABE083-8AF5-4E8E-8FBF-2105BF1C5673.jpeg
    75ABE083-8AF5-4E8E-8FBF-2105BF1C5673.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 29
  • 7C07CFF0-13F7-40DD-BFA5-FFF2F9F7FB19.jpeg
    7C07CFF0-13F7-40DD-BFA5-FFF2F9F7FB19.jpeg
    306.9 KB · Views: 28
Does anyone know what the IPD of the pre Ultravid bricks is? There are really many of those about and they're supposed to be quite decent ...

Edmund

My wife has an extremely narrow IPD (~54mm I would estimate) and most binoculars are unusable for her. In my experience it can be variable depending on the model and the minimum IPD spec is not always 100% reliable.

Leica Ultravids seem to be one of the best model lines overall for narrow faces. My wife now has an 8x32 UVHD and it accommodates her IPD with room to spare, which is a first! The 32mm UV has a minimum IPD spec of 52mm, Allbinos measured it at 52.8mm. I just crudely measured with a ruler and the distance between the middle of the eye lenses does appear to be between 52-53mm.

Even the Ultravid 42mm models seem to be nearly as narrow -- they are spec'd at 55mm, and Allbinos measured the HD and HD+ models to be slightly narrower (54.4 and 54.2 mm).

As others have noted Zeiss FL seem to be on the narrow side as well. So if shopping in alpha price territory, those seem to be the two lines to target.

A dark horse on a more limited budget is the Sightron 8x32 SII "Blue Sky" (as well as the Pentax 9x32 clone). It has slender barrels and an open bridge, and the min IPD is around 54mm. My wife is able to use them, and they are a great value in the ~$200 range.

Hi Edmund,

I presume that you’re referring to the earlier BN/ BA models? The x32's have a listed minimum IPD of 56 mm

See the page from a 2002/ 2003 catalogue showing all the specifications (the x42 and x50 models have a minimum IPD of 58 mm)

It's from the Company Seven archive of Leica materials at: http://www.company7.com/library/leica/notes.html

John

Attachments

• Leica BN x32.jpg
    Leica BN x32.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 23
I happen to have the Maven 8x30, Meostar 10x32 and a GPO 8x32...all have about the same 55mm

Attachments

• 20200605_082340_resized.jpg
    20200605_082340_resized.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 26
My 8x32 BA has a minimum IPD of 56mm measured by ruler.

Ill try calipers later. The eyecups are hard rubber so it should give a fair reading.

B.

I have the Zeiss Victory pocket 8x25 and I highly recommend them as very light, excellent ergonomics, and excellent optical quality. They are superb.

UPDATE: I’m the OP who started this discussion. I bought the Fujifilm KF 8x32 (recommended above) via a heads up in the Binocular Bargains thread ($75). As far as I can tell this is a very nice pair of binoculars. However they are not so comfortable for me - perhaps because they are at the borderline of the IPD range. I’m also noticing some shaking. Maybe the combination of these two things interacting?
Conclusion: I took a chance on mail order (I can return them) but happy to have the experience of trying them. Now I will wait until the shops open again before trying/buying anything else because I’ve confirmed that the written specifications do not tell the whole story (as you pros well know).

Is it safe to buy a binocular from the 60s (if you don’t know what you’re doing)?

The answer is definitely NO. That does not mean that useful binoculars from that era don't exist - but you need to educate yourself on what the best performing models are; the likely issues (fungus, hazing etc) that may crop up when purchasing binoculars that old; what their shortcomings are compared to modern binoculars (for instance, you have mentioned wearing glasses, which makes a great number of older binoculars less desirable, as they were designed to be used straight to the eyes); and get a sense for how much they may be expected to cost. Caveat emptor.

Hi Edmund,

I presume that you’re referring to the earlier BN/ BA models? The x32's have a listed minimum IPD of 56 mm

See the page from a 2002/ 2003 catalogue showing all the specifications (the x42 and x50 models have a minimum IPD of 58 mm)

It's from the Company Seven archive of Leica materials at: http://www.company7.com/library/leica/notes.html

John
John,

Thank you. Unfortunately that removes these from my wishlist.

Edmund

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back