• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Philippine species limits (1 Viewer)

from the ficedula thread again
Moyle RG, Hosner PA, Jones AW, Outlaw DC. 2014 ("2015"). Phylogeny and biogeography of Ficedula flycatchers (Aves: Muscicapidae): Novel results from fresh source material. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 82: 87-94. DOI: 10.1016/j.ympev.2014.09.029
[pdf]

Originally Posted by Richard Klim
Fuchs & Pons (in press). A new classification of the Pied Woodpeckers assemblage (Dendropicini, Picidae) based on a comprehensive multi-locus phylogeny. Mol Phylogenet Evol. [abstract]

Fuchs & Pons 2015. Mol Phylogenet Evol 88: 28–37. [pdf]

'The DNA divergence between the two D. maculatus subspecies we sampled is very high (6.1%) and may suggest that this taxon is in fact composed of several biological species. Such a high level of genetic differences between avian populations from the Philippines has already been highlighted (Oliveros and Moyle, 2010; Hosner et al., 2014). Yet, a clear understanding of the num- ber of biological species in D. maculatus would first necessitate a comprehensive sampling at the population/subspecies level before proposing any split.'

Last edited:
From the Porphyrio thread
Garcia-R & Trewick 2015.
García-R J.C., Gibb G. & Trewick S., 2014. Deep global evolutionary radiation in birds: Diversification and trait evolution in the cosmopolitan bird family Rallidae. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 81:96-108.
Dispersal_and_speciation_in_purple_swamphens
[pdf]

[via Laurent. :t:]

Last edited:
Silvery Kingfisher

Collar 2011. Species limits in some Philippine birds including the Greater Flameback Chrysocolaptes lucidus. Forktail 27: 29-38.

BirdLife International to follow...?

TiF Update November 29:

Kingfishers: Based on Collar (2011) and Andersen et al. (2013), the Silvery Kingfisher, Ceyx argentatus, has been split into Southern Silvery-Kingfisher, Ceyx argentatus, and Northern Silvery-Kingfisher, Ceyx flumenicola.

Campbell KK, Braile T, Winker K (2016). Integration of Genetic and Phenotypic Data in 48 Lineages of Philippine Birds Shows Heterogeneous Divergence Processes and Numerous Cryptic Species. PLoS ONE 11(7): e0159325. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0159325

[pdf]

Posted by Melanie on Glossy Swiftlet thread:
Speciation in Indo-Pacific swiftlets (Aves: Apodidae): integrating molecular and phenotypic data for a new provisional taxonomy of the Collocalia esculenta complex
FRANK E. RHEINDT, LES CHRISTIDIS, JANETTE A. NORMAN, JAMES A. EATON, KEREN R. SADANANDAN, RICHARD SCHODDE

Abstract

White-bellied swiftlets of the Collocalia esculenta complex constitute a radiation of colony-breeding swifts distributed throughout the tropical Indo-Pacific region. Resolution of their taxonomy is challenging due to their morphological uniformity. To analyze the evolutionary history of this complex, we combine new biometric measurements and results from plumage assessment of museum specimens with novel as well as previously published molecular data. Together, this body of information constitutes the largest systematic dataset for white-bellied swiftlets yet compiled, drawn from 809 individuals belonging to 32 taxa for which new molecular, biometric, and/or plumage data are presented. We propose changing the classification of white-bellied swiftlets, for which two species are currently recognized, to elevate eight regional forms to species level, and we also describe two new subspecies. The ten taxa we recommend recognizing at the species level are: Collocalia linchi (Java to Lombok, Sumatran hills), C. dodgei (montane Borneo), C. natalis (Christmas Island), C. affinis (Greater Sundas, including the Thai-Malay Peninsula and Andaman–Nicobar Islands), C. marginata (Philippines), C. isonota (Philippines), C. sumbawae (west Lesser Sundas), C. neglecta (east Lesser Sundas), C. esculenta (Sulawesi, Moluccas, New Guinea, Bismarck Archipelago, Solomon Islands), and C. uropygialis (Vanuatu, New Caledonia). Future molecular and morphological work is needed to resolve questions of speciation and population affinities in the Philippines, Christmas Island, Wallacea and central Melanesia, and to shed light on historic diversification and patterns of gene flow in the complex.

Keywords

Aves, speciation, DNA sequencing, morphology, Wallacea, Indo-Pacific, zoogeography

Also in Merops thread

https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._Consideration
'Genetic distance shows that the differences between M. v. viridis and M. v. americanus is higher than that M. v. viridis vs M. leschenaulti based on Cyt b gene. Morphology, geographical distribution and genetic data suggest the elevation of M. v. americanus to a full species Rufous-crowned Bee-eater M. americanus, supporting the latest taxonomic arrangement by IUCN'

Hi Des,
where does the name 'Americanus' come from in an Asian species?

A

Andy,
I am sure there is a host of people more knowledgeable about this on the forum than I am, but I will chance my arm with the guess that the collection location of the original type specimen was wrongly thought to be in the Americas (Muller, 1776). There were quite few hiccups like this made, eg Lalage chilensis
Des

Andy,
I am sure there is a host of people more knowledgeable about this on the forum than I am, but I will chance my arm with the guess that the collection location of the original type specimen was wrongly thought to be in the Americas (Muller, 1776). There were quite few hiccups like this made, eg Lalage chilensis
Des

Thanks Des,
scientific names can be and do get changed and this seems an appropriate candidate to me?

A

Statius Müller 1776 [OD] cited Buffon and gave "Isle-de-France" as the bird's origin. He presumably based himself on the Planche Enluminée n° 252 [here], where the bird is given as "Guêpier de l'Isle-de-France". (The earliest actual description by Buffon that I seemingly can find ([here]) is posterior to the naming of the bird.) Brisson in 1760 [here] had already called the bird by that name, although with a slightly different spelling ("Le Guespier de l'Isle de France"; "Apiaster ex Franciae Insula" in his non-binominal Latin).
"L'Isle-de-France" is Mauritius, and indeed an incorrect type locality for the species -- Brisson says the original specimen was sent to France from there; assuming this was correct, Mauritius will only have been a stopover in the bird's journey to Europe. But it's not in the Americas, hence it doesn't explain the name. The name suggests that Statius Müller additionally misinterpreted this incorrect type locality, perhaps confusing the name with that of one of the French American territories.

scientific names can be and do get changed and this seems an appropriate candidate to me?
Scientific names cannot be changed for this type of reason. See [ICZN Art. 18].

Last edited:
Statius Müller 1776 [OD] cited Buffon and gave "Isle-de-France" as the bird's origin. He presumably based himself on the Planche Enluminée n° 252 [here], where the bird is given as "Guêpier de l'Isle-de-France". (The earliest actual description by Buffon that I seemingly can find ([here]) is posterior to the naming of the bird.) Brisson in 1760 [here] had already called the bird by that name, although with a slightly different spelling ("Le Guespier de l'Isle de France"; "Apiaster ex Franciae Insula" in his non-binominal Latin).
"L'Isle-de-France" is Mauritius, and indeed an incorrect type locality for the species -- Brisson says the original specimen was sent to France from there; assuming this was correct, Mauritius will only have been a stopover in the bird's journey to Europe. But it's not in the Americas, hence it doesn't explain the name. The name suggests that Statius Müller additionally misinterpreted this incorrect type locality, perhaps confusing the name with that of one of the French American territories.

Scientific names cannot be changed for this type of reason. See [ICZN Art. 18].

I see that they don't do it for this reason but it's plain wrong especially if as you can seem to show, it is in error, isn't that enough?

A

Last edited:
Statius Müller's 1776, Merops americanus, was based on de Buffon's Guêpier de l'Isle de France. He probably forgot that the Île de France (now Mauritius) was in the Indian Ocean, and perhaps thought it was either in the West Indies or in Louisiana (French America), or had come thence via Mauritius. Despite the fact that both de Buffon and Statius Müller were wrong as to the habitat of their bird, the name must still stand, joining such as Numenius madagascariensis, Sakesphorus canadensis, Bucco capensis, Touit batavica, Caryothraustes canadensis and Turnagra capensis. However, they are only labels by which birds or animals can be identified; once we start changing scientific names because they are "wrong" chaos will prevail. Before you know where we are someone will be trying to regulate English bird-names!

Last edited:
Don't know about this case, but in a plant case, Scilla peruviana (native to Portugal) was so named because the specimen was delivered to Linnaeus on board the good ship Peru, and he misinterpreted the dispatch note as being its origin, rather than its means of conveyance.

So maybe Buffon's bee-eater was imported on a ship called the America???

- - - - - - -

Surely l'Île-de-France is the Paris area?

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back