• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's Mammals 2015 (1 Viewer)

Red Fox X 2. Note that both shots show the black smudge on the right ear. I am now fairly sure that the photo from a few nights ago that didn't show that feature is a different individual.

John

Attachments

• 2015_03_04 (1)_Red_Fox (800x533).jpg
    2015_03_04 (1)_Red_Fox (800x533).jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 2015_03_04 (2)_Red_Fox (800x533).jpg
    2015_03_04 (2)_Red_Fox (800x533).jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 77
Had an evening staking out the canal Badgers. One came out and deigned to have a couple of minutes scratching, I got a couple of pix one of which may be worth putting on here, I hope. Meanwhile on my side of the canal three Wood Mice came to a big handful of muesli thoughtfully left by the hedge for them and I had a good photo session with them.

A Roebuck stirred the leaves near the Badger sett but avoided the lens: a Rabbit which presumably has a burrow in among the sett holes hopped about, and the local Little Owls shouted their heads off from the fields.

Scanning the canal in the hope of amphibians or aquatic mustelids on the way back to the road, I saw a flicker over the water surface. I paused by the road bridge for a more thorough search of the canal and confirmed what I had suspected: my first Daubenton's Bat of the year was skimming over the water.

John

I was invited to join a whole car load of people called James to go wild boar hunting on Saturday. It was a good plan.

Attachments

• boarsmall.jpg
    boarsmall.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 92
  • babyboarsmall.jpg
    babyboarsmall.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 91
Last Sunday John and I went to Lakenheath to follow up on the Ermine stoat seen recently but weather conditions were not great so we did a bit of birding mammal wise only Brown hare and rabbit seen. But Saturday battling with a bad back I returned with a little more info and better weather and with Roe deer and muntjac on the access track. The GWE was present and I started my search of the area, a mix of wandering and sitting and watching. I took a quick look at the far viewpoint a flying bittern of note to break up my search. Eventually my persistence paid off and after a few false alarms with old white tree guards I spotted the Ermine stoat and managed a few photos despite it being obscured by grass.

Mark

Attachments

• DSC_5263.jpg
    DSC_5263.jpg
    721.9 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_5346.jpg
    DSC_5346.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_5359-2.jpg
    DSC_5359-2.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 82
I was invited to join a whole car load of people called James to go wild boar hunting on Saturday. It was a good plan.

What Steve is too modest to mention is that he is an honorary James: it is one of his middle names. The plan was indeed good, the execution eventually likewise. I fell in love with this particular little piggy.

Attachments

• e_LO_9542.jpg
    e_LO_9542.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 92
Spent a pleasant weekend in the company of an old friend of mine and well known Farnborough resident. First order of business was an early morning jaunt down to Arne with another friend from way back, Clare, for a nailed on mammal tick, namely Sika Deer. Things were quiet at first, but our early fears that perhaps the Sikas were still in their burrows (don’t ask) turned out to be unfounded when, after a short walk, two does were found in the heath, allowing reasonable shots (John’s will be better, watch this space), and then we headed up to some high ground and were met with a fine spread of birds on the marshes below us, 17 Spoonbill being pick of the bunch, with a flock of Black-tailed Godwits and scatterings of Wigeon, Shelduck, and Brent Geese and a couple of Great Black-backed Gulls also on offer. Things got lively when a female Marsh Harrier arrived on the scene, and we were treated to all of the above filling the air in a panicked swirl. On to the hide, by which time a herd of sixteen Sika, including three stags, was out on the saltmarsh, with a seventeenth animal, a radio collared doe, beyond them where the marsh met the heath. Also had Raven overhead, a year tick for Clare.

Back at the car park a Peacock was displaying, and I know they’re plastic as hell, but it’s still a treat to see, and who can resist reaching for the camera when it happens (cue huddle of miserable buggers raising their hands…).

Blandford was next port of call, but the Otters, having shown early doors, weren’t playing, which left the Kingfishers in the spotlight. Thankfully the Kingfishers were happy to rise to the occasion, and put on the best performance from this species I have ever seen. It started with a female fishing, with a male then arriving on the scene, catching a fish and passing it to her, the pair of them then indulging in a joint display, sky pointing with tails cocked, calling like crazy (practically singing), absolute magic!

The day was rounded off with a drop in at a place whose name escapes me, close to Sixpenny Handley, which had been playing host to several Short-eared Owls, none of which put in an appearance, and a ringtail Hen Harrier which did, albeit so briefly I was the only one of the three of us to score. We also saw a quite bizarre Buzzard here, with a largely white head, extensive white on the rump, very grey brown back & upper wing coverts, very pale below with a warm buff, almost apricot, wash across the belly/hindflanks. I know it’s a variable species, but this was quite unlike any I’ve seen before. Hopefully John’s pics have come out and you can all see for yourselves.

So ended Saturday, with a trip to the pub for a gas about the old days, and discussions on future ventures, including gleaning some useful site gen for a forthcoming Scotland trip. Cheers John!

Attachments

• DSCN7765.JPG
    DSCN7765.JPG
    463.4 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN7775.JPG
    DSCN7775.JPG
    411.2 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN7783.JPG
    DSCN7783.JPG
    431.2 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN7788.JPG
    DSCN7788.JPG
    290 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN7790.JPG
    DSCN7790.JPG
    301.7 KB · Views: 63
James has quite adequately described a very enjoyable Saturday, so without more ado here are the Sikas - I haven't processed the Kingfishers and weird Buzzard yet.

John

Sika Deer X 5

Attachments

• 2015_03_07 (2)_Sika_Deer (800x533).jpg
    2015_03_07 (2)_Sika_Deer (800x533).jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 2015_03_07 (3)_Sika_Deer (800x533).jpg
    2015_03_07 (3)_Sika_Deer (800x533).jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 2015_03_07 (6)_Sika_Deer (533x800).jpg
    2015_03_07 (6)_Sika_Deer (533x800).jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 2015_03_07 (10)_Sika_Deer (800x533).jpg
    2015_03_07 (10)_Sika_Deer (800x533).jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 2015_03_07 (14)_Sika_Deer (533x800).jpg
    2015_03_07 (14)_Sika_Deer (533x800).jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 71
I visited Lakenheath Fen RSPB this morning. Got the Ermine Stoat (see that thread for more details of sighting). Also 8 Roe & 3 Muntjac Deer in the same area.

Cheers, Simon

Some more from the other day. Apparently Blackavar and his tatty ear are resident at Blandford Forum now (everyone retires to Dorset) and a couple of the weird Buzzard at Wyke Down.

John

Rabbit X 2
Buzzard X 2

Attachments

• 2015_03_07 (19)_Rabbit (800x533).jpg
    2015_03_07 (19)_Rabbit (800x533).jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 2015_03_07 (21)_Rabbit (533x800).jpg
    2015_03_07 (21)_Rabbit (533x800).jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 2015_03_07 (32)_Buzzard (800x534).jpg
    2015_03_07 (32)_Buzzard (800x534).jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 2015_03_07 (34)_Buzzard (800x533).jpg
    2015_03_07 (34)_Buzzard (800x533).jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 90
A very brief sighting of the Water Shrew at The Lodge today (more info on that thread) & 2 Bank Voles in the same area.

Simon

One of my other Red Fox visitors came to dine on chicken today. It's a smaller fox than Black Notch, with a blackish tip to a thicker brush, less black on the legs and of course no black notch on the front of the right ear.

It wasn't quite as confident as Black Notch, but it held its ground when the camera flash went off, sniffed out the chicken leg and took it away to eat.

John

Attachments

• 2015_03_13_Red_Fox (800x533).jpg
    2015_03_13_Red_Fox (800x533).jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 75
Two things to talk about.

First, while I was on the way home yesterday from the Forest of Dean (that story tomorrow) Maz popped out for a breath of fresh air by the front door. While she was there, one of the local foxes trotted up, sniffed all round next door's lawn, then sniffed all round our lawn, found nothing and then stood and looked at Marion with a distinct air, she reported, of "where's the bloody chicken then?"

So Marion said "Wait here" and went inside, fetched a chicken leg and fed the fox. It's not just me who's a soft git round here!

Second up, today.

I decided to have a second crack at the Ermine Stoat at Lakenheath Fen RSPB, since everyone else seems to have seen it. I spent five hours flogging round and round the area of the reserve that seems to be its home range, to no discernible effect (though I did enjoy the company of a fairly confiding Kestrel.)

The last hour of the five I was accompanied by Mr Babbs, whose company as always enlivened proceedings but unfortunately didn't change my luck. We agreed hot drinks were in order and returned to the car park. He got his coffee from the car and I was briefly baffled by a failure of my key fob to open the door electronically. I then felt a right tit (no comedians please) as Steve suggested using the key....

After I'd decided to move on to Lakenheath Warren and Steve had gone back out on the reserve, I found out why the key fob had failed: the lights were still on and the battery was flat. The reserve centre doesn't have jump leads (I shall be writing to The Lodge about this) but luckily a family just arriving was volunteered by Dad (once he had ruled himself out of pushing because of recent spinal surgery) to bump start the car and their enthusiasm made short successful work of it. Fantastic!

Back on the road, I repaired to the huge Rabbit warren by the end of RAF Lakenheath's runway to see if it was being predated by Stoats. From my point of view, unfortunately the 110 Rabbits I saw in one sweep of my bins were feeding undisturbed. I didn't wait all that long before deciding to do a bit of plane-spotting (I still think it's odd that birdwatchers abhor the term "spotter" whereas plane-spotters embrace it) and set off for Mildenhall, pausing on the way to photograph four A10 Thunderbolt IIs deployed from Stateside on Friday.

Mildenhall was quite fun, with the based KC135 tankers and a line of C130J Hercules familiar, but a bonus C17 Globemaster III, four of the based Osprey tilt-rotor craft and a Turkish Air Force Airbus A400M Atlas. The last was my undoing, as it took me a while to find somewhere from which to photograph it. When I returned to the car after the walk to take my snaps, I was keen to get on home, so I quickly shoved all my kit in the boot, discarded my fleece into the same place, slammed the lid and remembered too late that my key fob was in the fleece.

AAAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!

I rang the AA. They said they would be an hour (they always say that). Then they sent me a text to say they would be a bit longer. It has been cold today. I had just locked my fleece in the car. (I had more hot water to make tea in the car, as well.)

I went for a brisk walk to warm up. During the course of this I found a church, and decided to pass a few minutes looking round the graveyard, which included a small military cemetery. RAF Mildenhall was originally a real RAF base which housed Bomber Command squadrons in the WWII, and that's my period of history. The first headstone I looked at was that of Sergeant Pilot J Dixon: I left very quickly with icy fingers running up and down my spine, and it wasn't just the chilly wind.

Mr AA man turned up earlier than I feared and proved to be the real deal. It took a while but he got into my car without breaking any windows or locks or indeed anything. I can't tell you exactly how he did it but who knew modern cars have a cheat key?

Anyway, I was absolutely delighted to have a disaster turned into an amusing anecdote.

I hope you have been too.

John

Never a dull moment, eh? Crazy looking brutes those Ospreys, next time I'm in the area I may well pass through for a gander myself.

James

Taster from Saturday as I need an early night. More tomorrow, promise. Zzzzzzzzz

John

Wild Boar X 3

Attachments

• 2015_03_14 (11)_Wild_Boar (800x533).jpg
    2015_03_14 (11)_Wild_Boar (800x533).jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 2015_03_14 (14)_Wild_Boar (800x533).jpg
    2015_03_14 (14)_Wild_Boar (800x533).jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 2015_03_14 (20)_Wild_Boar (533x800).jpg
    2015_03_14 (20)_Wild_Boar (533x800).jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 66
When photographing timid animals like Deer, stealth & concealment are all important...

Attachments

• DSCN7819.JPG
    DSCN7819.JPG
    447.1 KB · Views: 125
Most amusing!

Marion has just watched a Red Fox demonstrating how to pick up four separate bits of pizza with just a pair of jaws. NB: she was actually outside, not lurking in the hall - they are getting pretty tolerant of us (but not anyone else: smart animals.)

John

I'm off to the pub. Two more from yesterday:

Adult female Boar resisting stalking

Spot the Humbug

John

Attachments

• 2015_03_14 (6)_Wild_Boar (533x800).jpg
    2015_03_14 (6)_Wild_Boar (533x800).jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 2015_03_14 (7)_Wild_Boar (800x533).jpg
    2015_03_14 (7)_Wild_Boar (800x533).jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 104
Last night I had an experience with the foxes quite similar to Marion's of last weekend. I had a look out of the front door, and spotted one coming along from the left: I knew the chicken had already gone. It arrived, sniffed round the lawn and gave me an expectant look. I told it to wait and went to the kitchen for another leg. As I threw it towards the fox on my return, someone else opened their front door and the fox was out of sight through the arch on my right in a flash.

I decided to wait. After about five minutes, along comes a fox from the left - but its not the same one: this time its the smaller animal with the dark tail tip. This one trots along the concrete path giving me a wary eye, doesn't bother looking at the lawn (perhaps it had the first sitting?) and continues right through the arch. I carried on watching. After a few more minutes along comes a fox - also from the left! This time it was Black Notch, who must have circled the block to make this second approach. I'm sure it was the same fox I'd got the chicken for, because he diverted off the concrete onto the lawns two doors down and made a beeline straight for it. Picked it up, gave me a glance and trotted off right with his prize. Job done. I went to bed.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back