• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod adapter/reducer (1 Viewer)

mathare

I've just bought a Manfrotto carbon fibre tripod with a 3/8" mounting screw. I have a Velbon PH-157Q head I want to mount on the new tripod. That head has a 1/4" socket. So I need an adapter.

If I Google or search on Amazon I get a lot of adapters claiming to convert between 3/8" and 1/4". And I have to look at each carefully since some say 3/8" male meaning the screw on their adapter and others mean 3/8" male as what they attach to ie the adapter has a 3/8" female connection.

I want to step down from 3/8" male to 1/4" male.

I have seen adapters that do this but they are stubby things that I worry about balancing the head on, effectively. I want something quite flat and broad to spread the load. Or a 3/8" version of the fastening in the bottom of the head itself. Can someone point me in the right direction please? It shouldn't be this hard!

Thanks Pete. I saw the Manfrotto ones and thought there must be a more generic solution, but apparently not. Hundreds of suppliers for the other way - expanding 1/4" to 3/8" - but very few options for reducing it seems.

I decided to solve the problem a slightly different way in the end...I bought a Manfrotto fluid head! That has a 3/8" tripod mount socket and if ever I want to use it on anything with a 1/4" screw thread, such as my hide clamp, well, I've already seen the adapters to turn my 1/4" screw into a 3/8" screw are ten a penny.

I really don't like the idea of the whole head balancing on a stubby adapter that's taller than it is wide, especially when the adapters I saw to convert between 3/8" and 1/4" were generally 1/2" across. Put a scope on a head on top of that adapter and you're asking for trouble, surely. Hence wanting a solution that was wider than it was tall, such as the Manfrotto ones. But if I'm paying that sort of money for an adapter I may as well look at a new head, which is what I did in the end.

I appreciate the help though Pete :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back