• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotted a red breast grosbeak (1 Viewer)

Alan grimshaw

Hi I'm new to all this but today while I was working outside in the Devon sun shine a bird court my eye and it was black and white feathers with a bright red breast I could not get my camera out quick enough but I was wondering if it was a red breast grosbeak. Many thanks

I think you can discount Rose-breasted Grosbeak. It is a North American bird. Although vagrants have been known to turn up in the UK, they are exceptionally rare and July would be the least likely time to see one. Having said that, an escaped cage bird is always possible.

If you were out in the countryside I'd put my money on it being a male Stonechat. They look quite smart at this time of year, although the breast is orange rather than red. The other possibility would be a male Bullfinch which have bright red breasts and show striking black and white rear ends in flight.

Here's a photo of a Stonechat.
https://www.deviantart.com/jamie-macarthur/art/Stonchat-Male-284842237

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back