• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dolphin shot (1 Viewer)

Having read the article and observed immediately at least one error in that the dead dolphin in the photo is clearly an adult Common Dolphin and not a baby (the error almost certainly comes from a member of the public whose idea of dolphin size depends on Bottlenoses), it's only a short leap of imagination to think that there weren't two holes in the head but one, and the dolphin used it for breathing.... 8-P

The only sensible remark in the report is by the organisation saving comment till it hears the PM result.

John

I was thinking along the lines of John. Also, the idea of someone out on a boat with any gun capable of shooting a hole is a bit bizarre - even a shotgun, which would not do more than spray pellets. As stressed, wait for PM.

Unless someone's out harpooning?

Having read the article and observed immediately at least one error in that the dead dolphin in the photo is clearly an adult Common Dolphin and not a baby (the error almost certainly comes from a member of the public whose idea of dolphin size depends on Bottlenoses), it's only a short leap of imagination to think that there weren't two holes in the head but one, and the dolphin used it for breathing.... 8-P

The only sensible remark in the report is by the organisation saving comment till it hears the PM result.

John

This crossed my mind too but I assume there is something more which suggests a wound at least, if not a bullet wound, blood for example. I also think that most people do realise how Dolphins breath.

I was thinking along the lines of John. Also, the idea of someone out on a boat with any gun capable of shooting a hole is a bit bizarre - even a shotgun, which would not do more than spray pellets. As stressed, wait for PM.

Fishermen have been known to shoot Seals and would probably use a .22 rifle. I don't think it totally surpsing that a fisherman would keep such a weapon on board and probably, legally.

I think Boris will be too busy to deal with this unless he slips it in under 'AOB' when they negotiate the fishing rights...........;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back