• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Japan - February 2020 (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the responses guys.

Yes, it was a great start Chris & Mike - better than I had anticipated in my day-dreaming during the long build-up to the trip.

Couldn't agree more kb57 & Andrew.

Sorry Adam, I'm going to rub it in a bit more by saying that I had great views of all three!

Nice report

Great report of brilliant country.

We loved it so much in 2016 we managed to stop off for a week last year on a big trip to finally see the Copper Pheasant.

Is Jay now split?

Is Jay now split?

Thanks.

My Helm guide uses IOC taxonomy and I think is suggesting a possible future split by showing the species as Eurasian Jay (Garrulus glandarius) as the heading but the ones outside Hokkaido in the text as Japanese Jay G. (g.) japonicus with 4 sub-species.

Last edited:
Sunday 16th February:

The weather had been great so far but the forecast was for a drizzly day; however, it was still dry at first light so I set off back towards Yacho no Mori to continue the pheasant hunt. On the way I called in at a 7/11 and had a wander around the area behind the car park - I have no idea even now whether it was in fact the suggested 7/11 and there were certainly no pheasants. But there was a Black-backed Wagtail (lugens White Wagtail) in the car park, Eurasian Tree Sparrows in the garden trees and a smart Hawfinch on some telephone wires. It was also my chance to get a proper look at all the Corvids and soon ID'ed both Oriental Crow & Japanese Crow - both apparent potential splits from Carrion & Large-billed respectively.

I then headed back to the Wild Bird Forest (this time parking off the road on the Kose-rindo track) and set off along the various tracks. Many of the more common species as yesterday were seen: Japanese Pygmy & Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Willow, Japanese & Long-tailed Tits, Wren, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Brown-eared Bulbul & (sorry again, Adam) presumably the same pair of Long-tailed Rosefinch in the same place. The only new species was Brambling. The drizzle had started and was becoming more like light rain so I set off back to the car, seeing a Grey Heron in the river by the bridge on the way. I also saw a Red Fox near the Tsurudamari road.

I called in to Shiotsubo Onsen to have a quick look around the car park area and then went in to check on the feeders - the staff member at reception seemed more than happy to let me do so once he saw my bins - where there were plenty of Willow, Japanese & Varied Tits & Oriental Goldfinch plus a couple more Hawfinch drinking from the small shallow pool at the back of the main one and an orientalis Oriental Turtle Dove hoovering up below the feeder.

With the weather still wet I decided to do the drive to Jigokudani Yaen-koen; even though it was a Sunday and it would therefore be busy I decided it was a better use of a wet day. On the road I had the first of many Black-eared Kites & a couple of Eastern Buzzard. The weather improved to overcast on the way. As expected the Snow Monkey Park was busy (I ended up in the overflow car park) but with patience the crowds thinned and although in reality it is not really like the creative camera-work on the Attenborough-type documentaries portrays it was worth the visit to see the Japanese Macaques and watch their behavior; and rather pleasingly they virtually ignore those watching them.

There were not many birds around at Jigokudani Yaen-koen and no further new birds for the trip or day were added until I stopped off at a Freeway Rest Area on the way back to Karuizawa where more Tree Sparrows and Feral Pigeons were joined by a flock of 20 or so White-cheeked Starling. With a bit of light still left by the time I got back I headed to Shiotsubo Onsen for another session at the feeders but for a lot of the time a Japanese Squirrel was dominating the feeder and keeping the birds away. Once the light had all but gone I called in for a McD's in town (I guess you've got to experience both ends of the culinary spectrum) and went back to base.

1. - 5. Japanese Macaques.

Attachments

• snow monkey 1 resized (2).jpg
    snow monkey 1 resized (2).jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Snow Monkey 2 resized.jpg
    Snow Monkey 2 resized.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Snow Monkey 3 resized.jpg
    Snow Monkey 3 resized.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Snow Monkey 4 resized.jpg
    Snow Monkey 4 resized.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 31
  • Snow Monkey 5 resized.jpg
    Snow Monkey 5 resized.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Monday 17th February:

I was moving on today and as I was packing last night ready for an early exit in the morning, a couple of things were going round in my mind. Firstly, that I should have allocated at least an extra day in the Karuizawa area. The second was where to go for my last realistic attempt at those pesky pheasants. From BF and Kantori I had a couple of other possible sites in the area but the way my brain works in this sort of situation is along the lines that if I went to a new spot and missed seeing my target, back at the previously visited site all the pheasants in the area would be out on the tracks parading around with a 'middle primary up to you' sort of gesture. So with that flawed logic still with me this morning, I checked out, put my bag in the car and set off back to Yacho no Mori!

On the road to the site I saw the usual common species (Feral Pigeon, Crows, Kites) and the walk up through the forest provided much the same as the previous mornings, although a bit quieter in general than the first visit, but still plenty of the three more common tits, Jay, plus Pygmy, Great Spotted & Japanese Green Woodpecker (sorry, Jeff!), a number of Dusky Thrush & another Meadow Bunting. The prize for the bird of the day - though still very early - must go to the Ural Owl looking disdainfully down at me from a path-side Japanese Larch. Walking back to the car after doing all the tracks again in vein for the pheasants and deciding I had to reluctantly leave I lucked in to a Japanese Giant Flying Squirrel peering out of the entrance hole to it's nest box.

A last brief visit to Shiotsubo produced more tits, a Nuthatch, Hawfinch, Oriental Greenfinch and Brown-eared Bulbul on or around the feeders.

So there's your three back, Adam, I dipped on both pheasants and the accentor.

It was by then late morning and time to head back into town to return the car, which all went smoothly, and catch a shinkansen back to Tokyo. From the train I picked up Great Egret & Grey Heron in the track-side field ditches & Black-eared Kite & Eastern Buzzard overhead. Once the train slowed in the suburbs I was a bit surprised to see a small flock of House Swift - presumably kuntzi.

Once at the station I was back into the realms of crowded and politely rushing humanity on the platforms & concourses. I found the lockers, there were few empty ones available of the right size for my ridiculously oversize bag but eventually I found one in which I could just about stuff it after having removed a few items into a smaller backpack to take with me. I headed out of the station and was then suddenly in the calm again of what looked like the Business District with the Imperial Palace Gardens just a block away and across a road.

I only recently discovered the joys of city park birding in a brief visit to Bangkok last summer and this lovely park around the Imperial Palace is definitely worth a visit if you have some time to spare in the city. The giant Bonsai (if that isn't a contradiction in terms) pines are impressive, the grass and hard surfaces immaculate and the contrast of old and new fascinating. I did a complete circuit of the perimeter which was well used by joggers, cyclists and others and adjoined by busy roads with tall buildings just beyond. Nevertheless, there were plenty of Crows & Bulbuls in the trees and White-cheeked Starlings & Black-backed Wagtails on the grass plus Kites overhead. But the main interest for birders is in and alongside the moats where I had: Mute Swan, Mallard, Gadwall, Falcated Duck, Eastern Spot-billed Duck, Northern Shoveler, Eurasian Teal, Common Pochard, Tufted Duck, Little Grebe, Great-crested Grebe, Great Cormorant, Coot & Black-headed Gull.

Back at the start I had a wander around the streets to take in a bit of urban Japan and then returned to the main station and found a restaurant in the adjoining mall. Despite picking up a map of the station earlier and noting where the lockers were I'm damned if I could find my way back to where my bag had been stashed until I realised that they were the on the 'train side' of the ticket barriers - it must be an age thing. So I bought a Yamanote line ticket, recovered my bag and took a train to Hamamatsutcho with the intention of taking a subway train a few stops and then walking a couple of km to my hotel for the night but the day's walking and the weight of my bag persuaded me to take a taxi. I only had the name of the hotel written in English, which the driver was not able to read, and my appalling Japanese pronunciation did not help but by comparing maps on the car's sat nav, his mobile and my smartphone we managed to agree on a correct location near the airport.

1. Ural Owl;
2. Japanese Giant Flying Squirrel;
3. Tokyo - old & new;
4. Imperial Palace;
5. Pruning giant Bonsai Pines.

Attachments

• Ural Owl resized.jpg
    Ural Owl resized.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Japanese Giant Flying Squirrel resized.jpg
    Japanese Giant Flying Squirrel resized.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Old & New resized.jpg
    Old & New resized.jpg
    692 KB · Views: 38
  • Imperial Palace resized.jpg
    Imperial Palace resized.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Giant Bonsai Pines resized.jpg
    Giant Bonsai Pines resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Well, so far that's two birds we missed on the two-week birding trip I went on at the same time - Grey-bellied Bullfinch & Ural Owl - we didn't have specific sites for the first and our site for the second didn't produce the goods. I'm not going to complain, though, as we ended up with 180 species in total which is, I think (hope), pretty good.

Thanks.

My Helm guide uses IOC taxonomy and I think is suggesting a possible future split by showing the species as Eurasian Jay (Garrulus glandarius) as the heading but the ones outside Hokkaido in the text as Japanese Jay G. (g.) japonicus with 4 sub-species.

I was wondering the same about the bullfinch too. Presumably same deal?

Loving the report. Hope to go to Japan one day :t:

I was wondering the same about the bullfinch too. Presumably same deal?

Loving the report. Hope to go to Japan one day :t:

Thanks Larry, yes, a great place to visit / bird - I really couldn't recommend it more highly.

As for the Grey-bellied Bullfinch Helm has it as Pyrrhula (pyrrhula) griseiventris & notes "included within following species by IOC" - the following species being Eurasian Bullfinch.

Yes, I wasn't by any stretch of the imagination expecting to find one myself, Jeff; I had to pay a guide in Finland to show me my first - and what I thought at the time would be my only - one!

Thanks Chris. The trees were pretty special - not only were they pruning off the small branches to keep the 'cloud' shapes but they were also removing all the needles that were more than a year old growing back from the tip of each twig! Another photo of the tree this time without ladders and tree surgeons.

Attachments

• Giant Bonsai 2 resized.jpg
    Giant Bonsai 2 resized.jpg
    707.5 KB · Views: 38
I'm another to be gripped by your Ural Owl Pete. I asked the Picchio staff about them and they admitted a pair was there but would not disclose the location, so finding one was a superb effort - great stuff!

Cheers
Mike

Yes, I wasn't by any stretch of the imagination expecting to find one myself, Jeff; I had to pay a guide in Finland to show me my first - and what I thought at the time would be my only - one!

Thanks Chris. The trees were pretty special - not only were they pruning off the small branches to keep the 'cloud' shapes but they were also removing all the needles that were more than a year old growing back from the tip of each twig! Another photo of the tree this time without ladders and tree surgeons.

A wonderful image Pete!

Chris

Envious of the Falcated duck in the palace moat, which I dipped - although to be fair I didn't check out the entire moat, just the area near the eastern palace gardens.

I did notice the Gadwall attracting a lot of interest from local photographers - didn't think they were particularly rare in Japan?

Mike, I'm afraid there was a lot of luck and not a lot of effort involved. The tree was very close to one of the well used main paths and I just looked up and saw it. As it was so close to an obviously public area I guess it could not do any harm to say that it was on the path from the Akagera Rest House to the Tsurudamari Road.

Thanks Chris.

kb57 - from memory the Falcated Duck were on the south side near the Sakuradamon Gate. Brazil states that Gadwall "winters widely C Honshu to Kyushu" so I don't think they are rare.

I had just completed the next day's post and was about to attach the photos when the whole lot disappeared! If I have calmed down enough by the time I am back from taking the dog out for a walk I may have another go!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back