• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentifiable duck (1 Viewer)

mfineman

Hi, Folks,
I'm not a knowledgeable birder, and I'm having trouble identifying some ducks that have appeared on the small lake behind my house in northern NJ. There are three males--iridescent green back of head and down neck. White on throat and chest. Brownish side feathers with white wing tips. Tail feathers appear darker brown. Yellow bill. There were one or two females a couple of weeks ago but haven't seen them lately.

This picture doesn't add up to anything I see in the field guides. Any ideas?

Thanks very much. It's driving me nuts!

The yellow bill is pretty much unique to the male Mallard Duck, which also does have a green head.
Unfortunately, the rest of the description does not fit.
However, Mallards are famous for breeding with gay abandon, irrespective of species, so you may have a small group of hybrids. If you can get pictures, someone might be able to identify the parentage more completely.

Hi, Folks,
I'm not a knowledgeable birder, and I'm having trouble identifying some ducks that have appeared on the small lake behind my house in northern NJ. There are three males--iridescent green back of head and down neck. White on throat and chest. Brownish side feathers with white wing tips. Tail feathers appear darker brown. Yellow bill. There were one or two females a couple of weeks ago but haven't seen them lately.

This picture doesn't add up to anything I see in the field guides. Any ideas?

Thanks very much. It's driving me nuts!
Those are almost certainly domestic mallards, presumably with some "bibbed" breed such as the Swedish blue in their recent family history. Just about any poultry farm's website will help identify such birds. (See, for example, https://www.purelypoultry.com/waterfowl-c-256.html). When you see a strange duck, especially one on a small lake in northern NJ, think domestic mallard first, not hybrid.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back