• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clear Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Bill Quinn

I don't known if I am in the right place. I have a binoculars made by Bausch & Lomb that I pick up at a local auction a few months ago. Mark on the binoculars is: "Prism Stereo" "30mm Apert." "6 power" "Bausch & Lomb Optical Co." Rochester N.Y." USA. By checking the ser.# I found out the binoculars were made in 1927. I would said the binoculars are very good conduction (that my view). Binoculars came in a light brown leather case, that is mark "Made in Japan" ? I would like to get the lenses clear. I not going to clear lenses, need someone who known how to do it. Any information will be helpful. PS: binoculars are not for sale, I going to use them.

Hello Bill and welcome to BirdForum!

I am sure some of the experts in our 'Binoculars' section can help, and don't doubt a Mod will be along shortly who can move your post there!

Chris

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Bill, I'm going to move your thread to the Binocular section where you should get more feedback and I subscribed you to the thread so you will get emails when someone posts in it ;)

Hi Bill and welcome.

If the binocular was made in 1927, it is likely the Japanese case is much later.

Suddarth Optical can service the binocular, but it isn't really cost effective.

But if you want to use the binocular, then why not get it serviced.
It might cost $80, but you can ask Suddarth for a quote.

Regards,
B.

Hi,

welcome to birdforum, first of all.

I agree that if the year of manufacture is indeed 1927 (where did you find that info from the serial number - is there a public list for B&L as for there is for Carl Zeiss Jena?), it's quite unlikely that the bins were made in japan.

As for repairs, Cory Suddarth is indeed a very recommended address stateside.

Joachim

Hi Bill,

Welcome aboard. Do your binoculars look like the 6x30 model pictured below? The pages are from the 1923 B&L Catalog.

Another binocular repair source is Nicolas Crista, NRC Optics, who was the head of optical repair for Swift Instruments. He's cleaned and adjusted many binoculars for me.

Ed

Attachments

• B&L 6x25 6x30.jpg
    B&L 6x25 6x30.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
The stamp Rochester NY indicates they were made in USA. The case might not be original to the binoculars. Photos would help.
Good luck,
Foss

I second the notion of Nicholas Crista, NRC Optics. He did a 1950 B&L Zephyr 8x30 for me, as well as numerous Swifts, and a Zeiss Jenoptem.. Could not tell it from new when I got it back.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back