• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLC, Monarch HG, Conquest or Trinovid ? (1 Viewer)

I disagree. I have had all those binocular's and compared them in low light and the Conquest and SLC are definitely the brightest in low light. IMO the Conquest is the brightest in low light of the four. Zeiss tend to have very high transmission in general and I can see it. You get over a 4% difference in transmission and it is obvious. The SLC though has better contrast than the Conquest. One weaker area of the Conquest HD is contrast. For example, the Swarovski CL 8x30 has better contrast than the Conquest HD and that is one reason I prefer the CL over the Conquest.

I would have to agree with this. I've only looked through the Monarch HG's in the store, but compared to the Conquest HD's and Swaros, they were not as bright. Fantastic in every other way, however.

I disagree. I have had all those binocular's and compared them in low light and the Conquest and SLC are definitely the brightest in low light. IMO the Conquest is the brightest in low light of the four. Zeiss tend to have very high transmission in general and I can see it. You get over a 4% difference in transmission and it is obvious. The SLC though has better contrast than the Conquest. One weaker area of the Conquest HD is contrast. For example, the Swarovski CL 8x30 has better contrast than the Conquest HD and that is one reason I prefer the CL over the Conquest.

The Conquests are brighter because they were engineered to allow more blue light through which dramatically increases our sense of brightness. TV manufacturers do this with their tvs on display in stores by upping the blue so that they appear brighter. But what this does, is effectively lower the other colors intensities. Reds, Yellows, and oranges are especially affected and will appear much less vibrant and in my opinion, slightly dead. Birding is about enjoying nature and the Conquests make everything look slightly less beautiful in my opinion. I am probably in the minority on this, I was trained as a painter and i put a ton of emphasis on color, probably way more than other people care about, so keep that in mind.

The Conquests are extremely sharp though.

I eventually ended up with the SLC which I LOVE!! It does not have the absolute best color I have seen, but the colors are very neutral and vibrant. I can't remember which one, but one of the Leicas had the best color yet that I have seen but it wasn't very ergonomically comfortable.

The SLC is so easy on the eyes and super relaxing. The armor is also very comfortable and super durable. I have had n=mine for a few years now and show absolutely no wear at all. My conquests have not held up as well and show much more wear than the SLC's even though they have only been used a 10th of the time. They are starting to get a powdery white surface. Not sure what that is about.

I have tried the HG's at Cabelas a few times and was not impressed with them. They did not wow me like others do.

I would highly suggest the SLC. My wife has the 10x50 Swarovisions and I even prefer the view from my SLC's to them.

Be aware that they have very slow focus so they are frustrating to use during warbler season, which is only a month or so. But other than that they are amazing.

You won't regret it and they will last your lifetime.

I haven't ever really found a pair of (modern) binoculars that I thought looked 'dim'. I guess you could argue the Conquest HD and others are brighter, but I think color balance (as ArielElf mentioned above) is the bigger thing at play here.
It's again all preference. The SLC-HD are certainly the best binoculars, optically, and probably my favorite overall pair I've owned (which has been many, many pairs). But are they $500 better than a the Monarch HG, if price is a factor of interest? I would have to say no, particularly when considering the advantages of the Monarch (smaller form factor, lighter weight, wider FoV).

All I can say is I've OWNED and STILL do each of the above binoculars. I use them birding and not in a store. I use the SLC and Monarch HG the most MAINLY due to FOV. I've owned the Trinovid HD since 08/2016. I bought my first 8X42 SLC, a SLC HD 11/2016 and the Conquest HD the same month. I bought the Monarch HG when it first came out, 01/2017. I bought the SLC WB, current model 04/2018. So the SHORTEST time I've had any one of those is two years and a month.

The difference in brightness of these four is literally nil. Go birding dusk, dawn...cloudy, etc and neither binocular is going to give the observer ANY benefit whatsoever. And neither is going to impact the observer in a negative way.

I'm not going to comment any more on this topic as it would be futile.

OP...good luck with your choice! Any of the above are fine binoculars. As another member says, proceed with confidence.

The Conquests are brighter because they were engineered to allow more blue light through which dramatically increases our sense of brightness. TV manufacturers do this with their tvs on display in stores by upping the blue so that they appear brighter. But what this does, is effectively lower the other colors intensities. Reds, Yellows, and oranges are especially affected and will appear much less vibrant and in my opinion, slightly dead. Birding is about enjoying nature and the Conquests make everything look slightly less beautiful in my opinion. I am probably in the minority on this, I was trained as a painter and i put a ton of emphasis on color, probably way more than other people care about, so keep that in mind.

The Conquests are extremely sharp though.

I eventually ended up with the SLC which I LOVE!! It does not have the absolute best color I have seen, but the colors are very neutral and vibrant. I can't remember which one, but one of the Leicas had the best color yet that I have seen but it wasn't very ergonomically comfortable.

The SLC is so easy on the eyes and super relaxing. The armor is also very comfortable and super durable. I have had n=mine for a few years now and show absolutely no wear at all. My conquests have not held up as well and show much more wear than the SLC's even though they have only been used a 10th of the time. They are starting to get a powdery white surface. Not sure what that is about.

I have tried the HG's at Cabelas a few times and was not impressed with them. They did not wow me like others do.

I would highly suggest the SLC. My wife has the 10x50 Swarovisions and I even prefer the view from my SLC's to them.

Be aware that they have very slow focus so they are frustrating to use during warbler season, which is only a month or so. But other than that they are amazing.

You won't regret it and they will last your lifetime.

Thnx for this gr8 piece of information. Appreciate :)

I haven't ever really found a pair of (modern) binoculars that I thought looked 'dim'. I guess you could argue the Conquest HD and others are brighter, but I think color balance (as ArielElf mentioned above) is the bigger thing at play here.
It's again all preference. The SLC-HD are certainly the best binoculars, optically, and probably my favorite overall pair I've owned (which has been many, many pairs). But are they $500 better than a the Monarch HG, if price is a factor of interest? I would have to say no, particularly when considering the advantages of the Monarch (smaller form factor, lighter weight, wider FoV).

True. Thnx :)

All I can say is I've OWNED and STILL do each of the above binoculars. I use them birding and not in a store. I use the SLC and Monarch HG the most MAINLY due to FOV. I've owned the Trinovid HD since 08/2016. I bought my first 8X42 SLC, a SLC HD 11/2016 and the Conquest HD the same month. I bought the Monarch HG when it first came out, 01/2017. I bought the SLC WB, current model 04/2018. So the SHORTEST time I've had any one of those is two years and a month.

The difference in brightness of these four is literally nil. Go birding dusk, dawn...cloudy, etc and neither binocular is going to give the observer ANY benefit whatsoever. And neither is going to impact the observer in a negative way.

I'm not going to comment any more on this topic as it would be futile.

OP...good luck with your choice! Any of the above are fine binoculars. As another member says, proceed with confidence.

Thnx for guiding :) I hve ordered Monarch HG 8x42 coz the FOV Weight, looks r hard 2 ignore. If i dnt find Image quality good or not bright enuf. I'll return them and buy SLC. Another thing i did recieve message from members where they hve sold SLCs even ELs and kept Monarch HG bcoz of lil diff in Image quality but gr8 diff in ergonomics.

Thnx for guiding :) I hve ordered Monarch HG 8x42 coz the FOV Weight, looks r hard 2 ignore. If i dnt find Image quality good or not bright enuf. I'll return them and buy SLC. Another thing i did recieve message from members where they hve sold SLCs even ELs and kept Monarch HG bcoz of lil diff in Image quality but gr8 diff in ergonomics.

Good luck to you!

Good luck to you!

Received my Monarch HG 8x42 today (Pic attached)
Beautiful piece of equipment. Feels very nice in hand.
Awesome ergonomics.
Image very crisp and sharp
Some blur on the edges but i feel no impact of it.
Checked in low light, I felt it was really good but may be SLC and Conquests are more brighter.
Watched Starlings at 50-70 mts in low light.. pic was clear, i could see details but not the details which u get when u click a bird with a DSLR camera... May b SLC captures those details.. dnt knw.. Planning to buy SLC.. judge both of them and then return one of them :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200527-153458_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200527-153458_Gallery.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 154
I do not believe the SLC will provide you with the images you get from a DSLR (having used both), just FYI.
The difference in image quality between the MHG and the SLC will be very small, at best.

Feel free to buy and compare with the SLC, but I think you may end up disappointed...

Justin

I do not believe the SLC will provide you with the images you get from a DSLR (having used both), just FYI.
The difference in image quality between the MHG and the SLC will be very small, at best.

Feel free to buy and compare with the SLC, but I think you may end up disappointed...

Justin

I agree of course! :t:

Received my Monarch HG 8x42 today (Pic attached)
Beautiful piece of equipment. Feels very nice in hand.
Awesome ergonomics.
Image very crisp and sharp
Some blur on the edges but i feel no impact of it.
Checked in low light, I felt it was really good but may be SLC and Conquests are more brighter.
Watched Starlings at 50-70 mts in low light.. pic was clear, i could see details but not the details which u get when u click a bird with a DSLR camera... May b SLC captures those details.. dnt knw.. Planning to buy SLC.. judge both of them and then return one of them :)

Nice looking binocular. If you want a binocular that may help in that regard try a SLC 10X56. Also you may try using on a tripod.

What is that makes SLC then superior to Nikon Monarch HG?

Hi,

1. Higher center sharpness and better contrast
2. Less chromatic aberrations.
3. Brighter picture.
4. More natural color rendering.
5. More robust housing.
6. Edge sharpness is at least at the same level, with a little less field of vision.

It was not for nothing that I would have chosen the SLC!

... But ... If you are satisfied with the Nikon it is the right binocular for you, do not look back and enjoy the glass.;)

Have fun with it,
Andreas

I would agree with Andreas on maybe CA and color rendering. On the rest I would not be able to tell the difference - particularly as it relates to brightness and center sharpness. But these differences would be VERY DIFFICULT to notice in anything but direct comparisons over several different conditions - and it would be more up to the individual to decide if those minute differences are worth the large increase in cost.

Nikon has a far better focus knob, in my experience (not the the Swarovski is bad, per se, it just has an odd feel due to their design). They are also lighter and offer a wider field of view.

Justin

If one wants to buy an 8X because they want a Swarovski, get the 8.5X42 SV. In my opinion the larger aperture SLCs are the best in the SLC line.

Andy W.

Hi,

1. Higher center sharpness and better contrast
2. Less chromatic aberrations.
3. Brighter picture.
4. More natural color rendering.
5. More robust housing.
6. Edge sharpness is at least at the same level, with a little less field of vision.

It was not for nothing that I would have chosen the SLC!

... But ... If you are satisfied with the Nikon it is the right binocular for you, do not look back and enjoy the glass.;)

Have fun with it,
Andreas
All true but the Nikon MHG has:

1) Bigger FOV
2) Way less distortion
3) Much better close focus of less than 5 feet versus 10 feet for the SLC. Which is important for insect watcher's.
4) It is 4 oz. lighter at 24 oz. versus the SLC at 28 oz.
5) It is $500.00 less expensive.

All true but the Nikon MHG has:

1) Bigger FOV
2) Way less distortion
3) Much better close focus of less than 5 feet versus 10 feet for the SLC. Which is important for insect watcher's.
4) It is 4 oz. lighter at 24 oz. versus the SLC at 28 oz.
5) It is $500.00 less expensive.

Yes true, For 3-4 days i kept watching through SLC in low light and HG and kept on finding a reason to go for SLC instead of HG but to be honest as several members mentioned there is no difference in Image quality. Almost identical and FOV, Price, weight of HG beats SLC hands down. In Warranty and Housing ofcourse SLC mayb better in long run

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back