• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Maven B3 6x30 Custom Has Arrived (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
I had my eye on these from day one. Put in my order on April 19th, they arrived today. Most reviews I have read have been very positive, the only negative remarks were about its eye relief. It’s been 2hrs in hand using, eye relief excellent with my glasses. Optics extremely sharp/clear. FOV huge, almost unbelievable big for such a very, very small frame. It’s construction very robust. This custom body color scheme has a very positive feel, not tacky with a positive grip while holding. All other outside coloring of its frame rich in color, top notch painting. From the firm positioning eye cups to the extremely well done coating to glass with the blacking of each barrel so dark you need a flash light to see completely from the objectives to inside to the ocular end. The only thing I would change would be a little slower focuser which is not a negative just a personal preference. The only other small 6-8 power binocular with a 30mm objective that had this high quality with all the boxes checked positive for me was my 2015 8x30 Cl Swarovski. If the 8x version B3 is as good as the 6x I just received and if I was in the market for another Alpha grade high end small 8x30 I would buy the Maven over the Swarovski. Seeing is believing, the 6x30 B3 Mavens are that good :t::t:

Attachments

• 2742A543-4870-4761-8F29-3C3D4F9D8E52.jpeg
    2742A543-4870-4761-8F29-3C3D4F9D8E52.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
I'll look forward to hearing your further thoughts or reading a new review on these! I've in the past been tempted but have always been put off by the seemingly small (at least on paper) AFOV.

I've had a Kowa BDII-XD 6,5x32 for about two months now, and am tempted to order a demo Maven to make a better comparison... I like the Kowa, in some ways quite a lot, but I don't love it.

I'll look forward to hearing your further thoughts or reading a new review on these! I've in the past been tempted but have always been put off by the seemingly small (at least on paper) AFOV.

I've had a Kowa BDII-XD 6,5x32 for about two months now, and am tempted to order a demo Maven to make a better comparison... I like the Kowa, in some ways quite a lot, but I don't love it.

I owned the Kowa BDII-XD 6.5x32 for a short period, really nice lower power binocular for under $400. I highly recommend it. My opinion of the Maven or the Kowa .... both super sharp/clear. For my eyes the Maven gets the slight EDG over the Kowa Optically. Size comparison, the Maven is the smallest binocular in the 6x plus category I have ever handled or owned. For reference I owned the Meopta, the Leupold, both vortex’s, Opticron 6x32 and if my memory is correct the Opticron 6x32 might have been a tad more compact. Both the Kowa and the Maven have outstanding eye relief, with the Kowa edging out the Maven due to its larger ocular lens which is a plus if eye placement is a priority for the user. If money is the deciding factor, the Kowa wins over all including the Maven. However if one can afford the Maven and you want the most compact High End well built 6x30 binocular that gives up nothing optically to any of the 6x plus binoculars I just mentioned, in my opinion the Maven is the current reigning King :king: .... I thought I would show the Maven with the Op/Tech Bino Wrap. I chose to leave the lens protectors on, my use for the Bino wrap with the Maven is instead a substitute for a more conventional binocular carry case. This Bino wrap is a softer more compact carry case, which I can easily carry comfortably around my neck.

Attachments

• 1B255D42-4B22-4303-87B1-B7C9FCE1CFA6.jpg
    1B255D42-4B22-4303-87B1-B7C9FCE1CFA6.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 98
  • DFD04C7D-1B65-4ACC-B6AD-0EE2845DF8A9.jpg
    DFD04C7D-1B65-4ACC-B6AD-0EE2845DF8A9.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts, I was initially interested in the Maven but went with the Kowa.
The only thing I find fault with the Kowa is the strap lugs - they are in a poor position and cause the straps to hang at an akward angle.
Maven seems to work with Kamakura to produce a very high quality product, and they are temping me with a new full sized model - either the B1 or B2, though I want to see Meopta's (and maybe Kowa's?) new model(s) first...

Justin

I LIKE IT!!!

IMO there is nothing second rate about a Maven B1/B2/B3.

I had the 8X30....it didn't have QUITE enough ER for me in the field. I feel like 1mm would have made all the difference in the world. I'm tempted to revisit the 8X30 but probably the results will be the same.

Congrats on your very nice binocular! :t:

I LIKE IT!!!

I had the 8X30....it didn't have QUITE enough ER for me in the field. I feel like 1mm would have made all the difference in the world. I'm tempted to revisit the 8X30 but probably the results will be the same.

If you do revisit, remember the eye cups screw off. It is simple to add an O-ring for a mm or two extension. You are right...nothing second rate there.

However pbjosh is right about the afov. I had a 6x30 for review, while the field is not too narrow, or restrictive, it falls short of wide field designation. Th 6x fov feels smaller than the 8x. Small afov values will always be the case with 7x or less magnification. The mentioned Kowa seems to overcome that, so maybe we will see some trend in wider fov in smaller magnifications.

I used Kryptec Highlander camo on my B2.

I LIKE IT!!!

Chuck ... Why not add the Maven 6x30 to your vast stable of binoculars. If the Eye Relief works, which on paper is longer than the 8x30 it will certainly evaluate you from the :king: to super king :king: :king: . If you choose not to ... you will still be the king :t:

Last edited:
Chuck ... Why not add the Maven 6x30 to your vast stable of binoculars. If the Eye Relief works, which on paper is longer than the 8x30 it will certainly evaluate you from the :king: to super king :king: :king: . If you choose not to ... you will still be the king :t:

Well I've THOUGHT of doing it. I almost just exchanged the 8X30 for the 6X30. The guys at Maven assured me the ER WOULD WORK! Why didn't I? I guess I would be a LITTLE bit concerned that 6X is approaching the minimum magnification required for me to ID a bird. When I started birding I used an old SLC 10X42...then I went to 8X....now 7X....LOL! Where do we stop?? ;)

I'll be interested in hearing how you do in the field with the 6X30. Take an 8X along with you and compare the two.... Should be some plovers and sandpipers for you to ID down your way! :smoke:

I am with Pbjosh in that I never tried the Maven B3 6x30 because of it's small AFOV of only 51 degree's versus the 65 degree AFOV of the Kowa BDII-XD 6.5x32. One reason I never cared for my Nikon EDG 7x42 was the smaller 56 degree AFOV. Does the small AFOV bother you at all on the Maven? How are the edges and how are they for flare and CA? Kamakura can make some nice binocular's though. Can you ID the bird's with 6x, as well as, as an 8x? Here was a nice review on the Maven B.3 6x30 from a thread on Bird Forum.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=329552

Last edited:
I am with Pbjosh in that I never tried the Maven B3 6x30 because of it's small AFOV of only 51 degree's versus the 65 degree AFOV of the Kowa BDII-XD 6.5x32. One reason I never cared for my Nikon EDG 7x42 was the smaller 56 degree AFOV. Does the small AFOV bother you at all on the Maven? How are the edges and how are they for flare and CA? Kamakura can make some nice binocular's though. Can you ID the bird's with 6x, as well as, as an 8x?

The smaller FOV of the Maven 6x30 I agree is noticeably smaller when comparing it to the Kowa BDII XD 6x32. Comparing the two to the Differences in FOV is really not a binocular to binocular fair comparison. The Kowa with the 2mm larger objective which has a much larger ocular lens designed just for that purpose. Really one can not say the Maven’s 6x30 FOV is small. It may be smaller than the Kowa, but for its smaller 30mm objective lens it certainly has a FOV as wide if not wider than any other 30mm roof prism binocular past and present I have ever looked thru. If the user’s priority is getting the maximum FOV, in a 6x plus (6-7) small roof prism binocular the Kowa in my opinion is the current king :king:. If you want the smallest(compact) 6x plus roof prism binocular, having the highest Alpha quality both in its physical construction and with its optical view the Maven in my opinion is the reigning king :king: . The center field sweet spot to my eyes is about 85% when using the Maven. Any edg distraction out of focus is something that I do not dwell on. The Maven 6x30 FOV with its large center sweet spot is more than enough for my eyes. I find its flare control excellent, not a problem with my facial characteristics in with the way I hold them to my face. I see no CA with these, but my eyes have never been sensitive when it comes to CA. When it comes to ID ? That’s a question that has to many scenarios to answer ..... is the subject close or near , noon time sun or early low morning and how close to sunset. If the subject is small, definitely a 8x is better but depending on its optical qualities a 6x could easily provide better details. One thing that everyone has encountered at one time when out with a viewing instrument, whether it is a Binocular or Spotter/Monocular ... the thought of I wish I had brought more power. A 6x power view is very relaxing/easy on the eyes and with me I find that to be my top priority.

:king:
The smaller FOV of the Maven 6x30 I agree is noticeably smaller when comparing it to the Kowa BDII XD 6x32. Comparing the two to the Differences in FOV is really not a binocular to binocular fair comparison. The Kowa with the 2mm larger objective which has a much larger ocular lens designed just for that purpose. Really one can not say the Maven’s 6x30 FOV is small. It may be smaller than the Kowa, but for its smaller 30mm objective lens it certainly has a FOV as wide if not wider than any other 30mm roof prism binocular past and present I have ever looked thru. If the user’s priority is getting the maximum FOV, in a 6x plus (6-7) small roof prism binocular the Kowa in my opinion is the current king :king:. If you want the smallest(compact) 6x plus roof prism binocular, having the highest Alpha quality both in its physical construction and with its optical view the Maven in my opinion is the reigning king :king: . The center field sweet spot to my eyes is about 85% when using the Maven. Any edg distraction out of focus is something that I do not dwell on. The Maven 6x30 FOV with its large center sweet spot is more than enough for my eyes. I find its flare control excellent, not a problem with my facial characteristics in with the way I hold them to my face. I see no CA with these, but my eyes have never been sensitive when it comes to CA. When it comes to ID ? That’s a question that has to many scenarios to answer ..... is the subject close or near , noon time sun or early low morning and how close to sunset. If the subject is small, definitely a 8x is better but depending on its optical qualities a 6x could easily provide better details. One thing that everyone has encountered at one time when out with a viewing instrument, whether it is a Binocular or Spotter/Monocular ... the thought of I wish I had brought more power. A 6x power view is very relaxing/easy on the eyes and with me I find that to be my top priority.
Thanks! Good answer. Makes me want to try one.:king: I ordered a stock pair B.3 6x30's in black/grey with overnight shipping from Maven and they shipped them in less than a 1/2 hour. WOW that is fast shipping!

Last edited:
:king:
Thanks! Good answer. Makes me want to try one.:king: I ordered a stock pair B.3 6x30's in black/grey with overnight shipping from Maven and they shipped them in less than a 1/2 hour. WOW that is fast shipping!
WOW ... that is fast. After reading your many, many praises of your Alpha stable of binoculars especially your Swarovski Bino’s, be kind to your Maven’s when they arrive. Your Maven’s will not have the words Swarovski labeled on them anywhere .... just remember these little Mavens are very unique. The little 6x30 Mavens represent the best to date in a high quality compact Optical design in a 6x30 compact configuration. The three Current Alpha produces have yet to put forth a up to date compact 6x, this puts the 6x30 Maven in a niche by itself. If you had jumped on the recent Maven 15% off all Maven orders you could have specialized your order to be visually unique as well. As one longtime member here quoted ... If you put these in a lineup unlabeled both in name and origin with two other Alpha Brand binoculars also unlabeled, most people after viewing all three would probably have a problem distinguishing the non Alpha Brand binocular from the other two more expensive High End Alpha Brand binoculars.

Last edited:
WOW ... that is fast. After reading your many, many praises of your Alpha stable of binoculars especially your Swarovski Bino’s, be kind to your Maven’s when they arrive. Your Maven’s will not have the words Swarovski labeled on them anywhere .... just remember these little Mavens are very unique. The little 6x30 Mavens represent the best to date in a high quality compact Optical design in a 6x30 compact configuration. The three Current Alpha produces have yet to put forth a up to date compact 6x, this puts the 6x30 Maven in a niche by itself. If you had jumped on the recent Maven 15% off all Maven orders you could have specialized your order to be visually unique as well. As one longtime member here quoted ... If you put these in a lineup unlabeled both in name and origin with two other Alpha Brand binoculars also unlabeled, most people after viewing all three would probably have a problem distinguishing the non Alpha Brand binocular from the other two more expensive High End Alpha Brand binoculars.

I have to admit...I am mightily impressed by the Mavens. Now I am not looking at a 6x30 but an 8 x30 and they are most likely the same size, same everything other than magnification. Very impressive.

I don't have any Swarovski's anymore! Too much GLARE! I have reduced my stable to just a few fine pony's. I am kind of a Black and Grey guy. I know boring. You can't try every pair of binocular's out there so when somebody really likes one I like to try it. The 6x30 format has a lot of advantages if it has enough magnification for you. Big 5mm exit pupil so it is brighter than an 8x30 and more comfortable with easier eye placement, better DOF, bigger FOV and much easier to hold steady than an 8x. I don't care if it has a case or not because I will use a Zeiss Conquest 32mm case and a simple light Vero Vellini strap.

Last edited:
If the subject is small, definitely a 8x
I love the Mavens.... but for me, a 6x is just not a birder bin as too little power. A great pair no doubt. Just like a great pair of bins is the Zeiss 8x25, the physical size makes it a non birder bin too (in my humble opinion).

But, both ...excellent bins (haven't tried the 6x Maven but the 8x is impressive)

I love the Mavens.... but for me, a 6x is just not a birder bin as too little power. A great pair no doubt. Just like a great pair of bins is the Zeiss 8x25, the physical size makes it a non birder bin too (in my humble opinion).

But, both ...excellent bins (haven't tried the 6x Maven but the 8x is impressive)
As gcole say's above 6x is enough magnification for closer in birding and shorter ranges. It is just like a 10x is better than an a 8x when you start birding at longer distances in open areas and coastal areas. A 6x would be good for Warbler's in bushes at short range where they are difficult to follow with it's big FOV and better DOF. Every binocular is a little better at different thing's. That is why it is nice to have a few different magnification's and aperture's for different lighting and different condition's. 8x is no doubt the best all around magnification if you only have one binocular but there is a place for 6x, 7x, 8x, 10x, 12x and even 15x under certain condition's.

Last edited:
As gcole say's above 6x is enough magnification for closer in birding and shorter ranges. It is just like a 10x is better than an a 8x when you start birding at longer distances in open areas and coastal areas. A 6x would be good for Warbler's in bushes at short range where they are difficult to follow with it's big FOV and better DOF. Every binocular is a little better at different thing's. That is why it is nice to have a few different magnification's and aperture's for different lighting and different condition's. 8x is no doubt the best all around magnification if you only have one binocular but there is a place for 6x, 7x, 8x, 10x, 12x and even 15x under certain condition's.

If I had that collection/range....I could see myself packing up in the morning to go out birding:)..... A car full, carefully arranged in order, ready to go. Heck, I already take enough stuff with water, snacks, a jacket or two, field guide, boots in the back, hat, ... But yes, valid point, jim

If I had that collection/range....I could see myself packing up in the morning to go out birding:)..... A car full, carefully arranged in order, ready to go. Heck, I already take enough stuff with water, snacks, a jacket or two, field guide, boots in the back, hat, ... But yes, valid point, jim

If Chuck lived within shouting range to you, you could call chuck the :king: of all Binocular Inventory far and near. If you invite him for a cookout at your favorite birding spot and tell him you are providing all the food/beverages with all the necessities B :) maybe he will offer to bring all the necessary Equipment/Birding Binoculars :t: .... maybe you could even talk him into getting a loaner of a certain 6x Bino well ahead of your scheduled outing just to make sure everyone’s viewing needs are covered :smoke:

It would be nice if they made a zoom binocular that was as good as a fixed magnification that went from 6x to 15x but then you would probably have to have at least a 50mm aperture to bring enough light for the 15x so it would be hard to make it small and compact like a 6x30 binocular. 6x30x is an interesting format. I have had the Vortex Viper HD 6x32 and the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 and they were both nice binocular's. Very clear, bright and sharp. The Viper had about a 425 foot FOV and the Yosemite a 420 foot FOV. So this Maven B.3 6x30 is considerably wider than both of them. Steve actually measured the Maven B.3 6x30 FOV @ 460 feet and he say's that Maven underestimate's their FOV's in general which is probably true if your observation's are correct about the FOV seeming to be very wide. I think Chuck has a Maven B.3 6x30 or he was talking about trading his 8x30 for one. Gcole, I like talking to you! You have a good sense of humor which is refreshing but yet you know what you are talking about. There is a lot of good birding down there in Jacksonville. I was just in Cape Coral Florida last summer and went to the Everglades and saw a lot of new bird's including a Pileated Woodpecker which is kind of a miniature Ivory Billed but you probably see them all the time. I will let you know what I think of the Maven B.3 6x30's. I get them on Monday.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back