• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Harrier id, Norfolk, UK (1 Viewer)

Solihull Villan

Hi
Saw this ringtail Harrier at Burnham Overy Dunes on 08/05/18. Thinking maybe Montagus or even Pallid? Appreciate quality of pic maybe insufficient for a definite id but would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

IMG_5570_1.jpg

Only an impression but maybe a little heavy/broad armed for Montagu's. Certainly that or a Pallid as you say. Great bird for the location!

For sure a Montagu's or Pallid, but hard from the photo to be 100% of which. Slim jizz, slender-looking tail, extensive white above eye, weak collar and what looks to be a dark trailing edge to the hand would point towards Montagu's. Any more photos?

For sure a Montagu's or Pallid, but hard from the photo to be 100% of which. Slim jizz, slender-looking tail, extensive white above eye, weak collar and what looks to be a dark trailing edge to the hand would point towards Montagu's. Any more photos?

to add a few pro Pallid fearures: still visible collar in a blurred pic bordered by extreme boa and lot of dark below white face marking, dark (looking) secondaries...
more pics needed indeed

Here's a brighter, cropped and enlarged version of the OP, don't know if it can be trusted but underwing looks quite good for a Pallid?

Attachments

• Cir_BFMay.jpg
    Cir_BFMay.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 135
Only an impression but maybe a little heavy/broad armed for Montagu's. Certainly that or a Pallid as you say. Great bird for the location!

I'm not up to date these days as I don't twitch anymore but Mont'ys has a regular breeding history in Norfolk, Pallid most definitely hasn't!

A

With the coastal location, time of year and the increase in Pallids in the west of Europe in recent years Pallid isn't that less likely than Monty's. I thought the breeding pop was inland...? Anyway, I'm not sayng it is a Pallid though ;)

With the coastal location, time of year and the increase in Pallids in the west of Europe in recent years Pallid isn't that less likely than Monty's. I thought the breeding pop was inland...? Anyway, I'm not sayng it is a Pallid though ;)

I think Pallid is still MUCH rarer than Monty's in the UK, probably 3-5 records per year?

A

If you want to base the ID on probability that's fine. What I meant to say was that Pallid shouldn't be ruled out, especially because of coastal location, time of year and the recent exponencial increase of Pallids. True, its much rarer than Monty's in the UK, you are right, though Monty's aren't exactly common - they are pretty scarce indeed; 5-10 pairs?

Last edited:
If you want to base the ID on probability that's fine. What I meant to say was that Pallid shouldn't be ruled out, especially because of coastal location, time of year and the recent exponencial increase of Pallids. True, its much rarer than Monty's in the UK, you are right, though Monty's aren't exactly common - they are pretty scarce indeed; 5-10 pairs?

Agree

A

I think Pallid is still MUCH rarer than Monty's in the UK, probably 3-5 records per year?

A

Certainly more than that - 15 reports in 2017, 31 in 2016. I guess a good few don’t make the grade but certainly regular enough to consider with each Monty’s type. 2 held territory last year as well.

Certainly more than that - 15 reports in 2017, 31 in 2016. I guess a good few don’t make the grade but certainly regular enough to consider with each Monty’s type. 2 held territory last year as well.

Many of these will be the same birds I'm sure and 'reports' are not the same as confirmed.

Here in Russia, I don't see them annually despite their recent increase in Finland.

Struggling to find figures but 1950-2015 there had been 85 records, that's 1.3 birds per year over the period.

A

Last edited:
Many of these will be the same birds I'm sure and 'reports' are not the same as confirmed.

Here in Russia, I don't see them annually despite their recent increase in Finland.

Struggling to find figures but 1950-2015 there had been 85 records, that's 1.3 birds per year over the period.

A

Try the later years, not fair to include 50's-70's when ringtail ID was a nightmare ;)

Pallid's trend in recent years has been a westward spread (massive increase in records in Spain - and for that matter, Portugal) so maybe why there's no increase in Russia, maybe even a decline (?).

Anyway - nice that the OP's photo now has an ID -- saves the local Norfolk folk kickin' themselves!

Last edited:
2016 BBRC WIP file shows at least 17 accepted Pallids in the UK that year (with 1 still in circulation, and not counting any accepted as 'same' as I wasn't sure what to do with them).

1.3 per year over 1950 - 2015 does not reflect the big upturn in records over the last ten years or so. What used to be a mega is now an expected rarity, and if it carried on with this trend will not be a BB for too much longer.

It would be interesting to know what percentage were adults; I mean if its higher than expected (due to the bias of vagrant juvs) it could be indicative of extending breeding range further. Here in Portugal its been mainly juvs. but there have also been a some 2nd cal and adult birds in the last 5 years more or less.

Last edited:
Pallid's trend in recent years has been a westward spread (massive increase in records in Spain - and for that matter, Portugal) so maybe why there's no increase in Russia, maybe even a decline (?).

Indeed, hasn't one theory behind the increasing Scandinavian population been that birds are moving out of previous strongholds (like Steppe habitat in Russia), and moving into N & NW Europe?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back