• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few for confirmation - Israel (1 Viewer)

Orvany24

Photos were taken today.

My ID:

1. Lesser Whitethroat.
2. Willow Warbler.
3. Clamorous Reed-warbler (Acrocephalus stentoreus).
4. Eurasian Reed-warbler (Acrocephalus scirpaceus).

Thanks in advance for confirming\correcting.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• 2018-08-18_23-26-31.jpg
    2018-08-18_23-26-31.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 2018-08-18_23-27-04.jpg
    2018-08-18_23-27-04.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 2018-08-18_23-29-28.jpg
    2018-08-18_23-29-28.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 2018-08-18_23-23-57.jpg
    2018-08-18_23-23-57.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 97
Are you really counting emarginations on this photo Ken? I wouldn't dare to. Plumagewise it looks like a 1cy Willow to me with so much yellow...

No. 4 is an Acrocephalus yes, but how to be sure it isn't a Marsh Warbler? I would want a better picture.

Agree with the rest.

Plumagewise it looks like a 1cy Willow to me with so much yellow...

No. 4 is an Acrocephalus yes, but how to be sure it isn't a Marsh Warbler? I would want a better picture.

Agree with the rest.

#2 - Chiffy should be eliminated since they're not due here til late fall\early winter.

#4 - the bird was conspicuously larger than a Marsh Warbler, which I understand to be the size of a Reed warbler.

Based on size and feathers tone, I would assume that another possible candidate other than Clamorous would be the Basra Reed-warbler (Acrocephalus griseldis), but short PP makes me lean towards Clamorous.

The latter is also rather common here while the former is a rare migrator.

#1 can’t be a Lesser Whitethroat with a pink eye-ring. I guess it’s a female Sard but tbh not fully sure on other eastern Sylvia’s such as Rüppells or Menetries.

Last edited:
#4 - the bird was conspicuously larger than a Marsh Warbler, which I understand to be the size of a Reed warbler.

Based on size and feathers tone, I would assume that another possible candidate other than Clamorous would be the Basra Reed-warbler (Acrocephalus griseldis), but short PP makes me lean towards Clamorous.

The latter is also rather common here while the former is a rare migrator.

In this comment above I was actually referring to bird #3, which I thought was the subject of Carery's reply. Sorry about this mix-up.

#1 can’t be a Lesser Whitethroat with a pink eye-ring. I guess it’s a female Sard but tbh not fully sure on other eastern Sylvia’s such as Rüppells or Menetries.

Your eye is better than mine. Those eye ring shoukd of course exclude Lesser Whitethroat. Not sure what it is then...

Sardinian warbler is correct.

#3 looks more like a Great Reed warbler based on wing structure but the picture is not really ideal...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back