• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best of older technology (1 Viewer)

1973CJ5

Hello,

I am just getting started in digiscoping. I have a Pentax 20x60x80 EDA spotter. I have a possible choice of using a Nikon P6000 or Nikon 8400. I know very little about photography and am thinking it would be easier to start digiscoping with one of these cameras older/less expensive cameras ( I can get one or the other for under $80 right now). Once I learned a thing or two, I could then pick up a new/more expensive camera. If you had to make a choice..... which camera (P6000 or 8400) would you choose and why?

I read in another thread you started about DIY adapaters that you have already purchased on Ebay a whole stable of cameras that are just as capable, maybe even more so, than these "new" choices (step 2) and (step3) wanted to know how to make a compatible adapter.

Your intro post also says you are in Japan as a Pro B-ball coach. If you are ever in Tokyo I would be happy to show you the art of digiscoping.

Hello RJM and thanks for the response and offer. I do currently have a fuji F30, Canon S90, Nikon P5100, Panasonic FH1, and Panasonic FX150. I am living in Sapporo and coaching a JBL basketball team called Levanga Hokkaido. Before coming to Sapporo in July 2012 I had purchased the Pentax spotter which I was going to use for hunting in the North Dakota Badlands. Once I arrived in Saporro I found this website and have become very interested in disgiscoping, but, my spotter is back in the US. I owned the S90 before coming to Japan as well, but had never considered using the camera attached to a spotter until reading in this forum. I have specifically purchased the FX150 based upon information you provided in some of your past responses or threads. I have been getting the cameras very cheap on ebay and once I get home, plan on keeping two or three for myself and giving the others to my sons and daughter to use with my older spotting scopes. I have four sons and a daughter who hunt/hike/camp/explore with me. Based upon your knowledge of digiscoping, if you had to start with one of these cameras (P6000 or 8400) which one would it be and why?

I will be in Tokyo for games against Toyota in early February and would love to spend some time learning about digiscoping. I will send you the exact dates of our games.

Thanks

Scott

Hi Scott.

I would not purchase either no matter how cheap.

If we meet up I will show you how to use the Pany FX150.

In the mean time, you must go to Eastern Hokkaido asap! The coastline between Kushiro to Raisu is Japan's Yellowstone and the avian wildlife and scenery is absolutely spectacular to see in winter.

Hello RJM,

Thanks for the response. I will forward you the days in February that I will be in Toyko and we can see if they will match an opening in your schedule. I would enjoy learning how to use the Panasonic FX150.

I will try to get to the eastern coast of Hokkaido as soon as I can. We do not have practice this weak so I may be able to make arrangements. Speaking of Yellowstone, I was born in Livingston Montana "The Montana Gateway to Yellowstone".

Thanks again,
Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back