• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (11 Viewers)

The bird appears to have gone, the question is did flash gun Frank scare it off or did it just decide to leave of its own accord!

Using a flash gun definitely has an impact on a birds behaviour, we will never now if it had filled itself up enough that is was ready for the off or if it felt disturbed by the flash gun and decided to move on.

Once when I was watching a Waxwing flock in Norwich, the birds were happily dropping down to the rowan berries to feast on from time to time and then return to their perch. The light for photo's was awful but along comes this guy with camera and flash gun so every time the birds drop down to feed the flash starts going off and the Waxwing immediatley fly back to their perch!! Several angered people spoke to him and he ignored all of them...

Happily I saw the bird on Friday evening when it briefly showed around 7PM (this was the first opportunity I had all week to get there for it). However I could not return yesterday and decided to make the return visit this morning. To say I am disappointed is a huge understatement!! To add to my misery, there are some wonderful photos of this bird, but I however haven't even managed one record shot of it :-C

There were no others that are using flash on Saturday apart from the ticket warden came and people have to move their cars. Sorry for those who got ticket booked especially the innocent bikers. They were genuine visitors but got booked :-C

RCA has moved on and congrats to others who have witnessed such rare bird and able to get good photos. Myself just a record shot but it doesn't matter since the bird are common in other places. People with bad or good manners has come and gone. Time to move on people just learn from your own experience :t:

R

Would be interesting to know if a flash was used at any time prior to yesterday evening...

I agree with nearly everything you have said regarding the behaviour of the few at twitches. My issue is that posting photos of those on the net who you have decided have broken codes, inviting comments online is probably more inappropriate than the behaviour your trying to prevent! Cheers.

To name and shame is probably the only way to get through to some people that their actions annoy the majority of the others present. They probably could not care less, but images posted might have some effect.
Drove down from Mull last night hoping to get some shots of the Starling today, don`t suppose anyone has pics of the muppet with the flash.;)

John

www.kellingnature.zenfolio.com

To name and shame is probably the only way to get through to some people that their actions annoy the majority of the others present. They probably could not care less, but images posted might have some effect.
Drove down from Mull last night hoping to get some shots of the Starling today, don`t suppose anyone has pics of the muppet with the flash.;)

John

www.kellingnature.zenfolio.com

We will have to beg to differ. Expect no sympathy should your actions backfire;)

We will have to beg to differ. Expect no sympathy should your actions backfire;)

Mark, can you never sit on the fence, do you always have to disagree ;)

I asked them to move back as quite a few of us hadn't seen the bird, they refused, in a crowd situation shirley it's alwasy best just to be polite and respectful to other people ?!?

If you're alone in the depths of the jungle and use hours of stealth, army style webbing, head to toe cammo gear, face paint etc. to get within an inch of your target that's a whole different matter !

Last edited:
There were also 50+ Starlings at the back of the kids playground just to the west of the quay yesterday.

Realise it may be of little interest to chasers after transient exotica but did you note the ratio of adults to juveniles. Starlings appear to have fledged very few young in North Norfolk this year.

Mark, can you never sit on the fence, do you always have to disagree ;)

I asked them to move back as quite a few of us hadn't seen the bird, they refused, in a crowd situation shirley it's alwasy best just to be polite and respectful to other people ?!?

If you're alone in the depths of the jungle and use hours of stealth, army style webbing, head to toe cammo gear, face paint etc. to get within an inch of your target that's a whole different matter !

Whatever reasons you care to come up with Stuart, posting photos of people on the net and encouraging others to comment is not appropriate. Not defending their behaviour, just not endorsing yours. Cheers.

Last edited:
Starlings appear to have fledged very few young in North Norfolk this year.

A flock of several dozen, regular at this time of year, was recently at Gramboro’.

If any one is at Salthouse tomorrow on gramboro hill, keep an eye out for a lightly streaked pipit. I think its only a mipit thou.

The Meadow Pipits have fledged here. They can be highly variable. In my recent visits, I haven’t seen any out of the ordinary.

Realise it may be of little interest to chasers after transient exotica but did you note the ratio of adults to juveniles. Starlings appear to have fledged very few young in North Norfolk this year.

Although I couldn't be precise there appeared to be very few juvs if I saw the same flock as Dawn- If I had to say a percentage less than 10%

The bird appears to have gone, the question is did flash gun Frank scare it off or did it just decide to leave of its own accord!

If you were there Saturday later on and had read the very helpful notice outside the house where the starling was -it said something to the effect that the bird was becoming more mobile and coming to the feeders less during the course of the day and was venturing to other parts of the area.

It seems to me that the bird arrived on Tuesday as a tired migrant fed up and stayed close to a food supply and when it had recovered from its journey starts to explore its surrounding area. Didn't therefore come as too much of a surprise that the bird wasn't there Sunday.

PS I don't use a camera but often get in front of others with permission as they can see right over the top of my head.

On Wednesday when the RCS was not being seen around the feeders. I walked east and onto the raised bank. There were flocks totalling into three figures made up entirely of fledged juveniles coming off the salt marsh and resting on the last houses.Whereas in the town there were mainly adults possibly on second broods. So perhaps they have not done so badly.

Time to name and shame!

Waiting patiently for the Rosy Pastor (much nicer name than RCS!) to show this afternoon at a sensible distance when the three muppets in the foreground arrived and decided they needed to be five yards closer than everyone else.
A polite request to stand a bit further back was met by a mumble from one of aforementioned than 'there hadn't been a problem earlier in the week' and they all stayed put. Felt especially sorry for the responsible birders who had been waiting for a couple of hours for the bird to come down to the bird bath only to find that when it did, one of the muppets quickly tried to reposition and the bird bolted back into the tree as a result.
I'm fortunate to have many contacts around the county and can say that more and more are getting thoroughly p*ssed off with the attitude of (mainly, but not exclusively) so called 'photographers' with all the gear but no f******g idea who despite £5K of equipment aren't happy unless they can shove their lens up the birds arse. As a result more and more birds are going to be either suppressed or else just shared with people who can be relied upon to act responsibly.
Apologies for the tone of the post but after initially missing the Roller and being told by two independent birders that it had been 'flushed by a photographer' and then 'it's being chased around by a photographer' it's time to say enough is enough.

PS: This isn't aimed at responsible photographers - there are some about, one of whom was kind enough to provide the people who's garden the bird is in with a framed print.
PPS: If there is a collection on site tomorrow (RNLI?) please give generously.

Mick
This rant from Mick Saunt is the biggest load of rubbish I’ve heard in years. I was one of the 6 people standing in the group photograph. The distance that we were standing (c.10m from the privet hedge) was well outside the minimum distance the bird was happy with us standing. This was based on the fact I had been there the previous day for 4 hours and people were standing much closer to the bird and it showed no nervousness to people moving around noisily.
Mick’s accusation that people scared the bird by moving is very doubtful, people did move, I wasn’t one of them I hasten to add. The bird flew down to the bird bath and spent around 20 seconds and took around 3 gulps of water before flying back into the tree and certainly didn’t appear to have flown due to people moving slightly. This was definitely part of the pattern the bird has been showing during its stay. The bird tended to feed on the fat balls for 5-10 minutes then it normally goes for a drink, 3 to 4 gulps then back into the sycamore tree for a quiet period (c.30 mins) to digest its last meal. Therefore the above fitted with the regular pattern and the accusation that people scared the bird off of the bird bath in this instance is complete and utter fantasy.
I assume that Mick was one of the 3 folks, 2 of which had cameras that were standing further back than everyone else. As well as us there were approximately 10 additional people standing on the other side of the road at roughly an equal distance to the bird/garden to what we were. I’m happy for him to stand back that’s his choice, but from that position you wouldn’t get a decent shot because the bird looked pants on the bird bath and the bird feeders from a photographers point of view. We were stood quietly at the furthest distance that it was possible to see the bump on the bottom of the sycamore trunk were the bird occasionally alighted. This was the most desirable spot to get the bird perched for a nice photograph. A quick search of the web reveals lots of pictures of the bird on this spot. In fact the picture mentioned Mick that was given to the owners was a picture of the bird in this position and was obviously taken from roughly the point we were stood! Interestingly once Mick and the other moaner cleared off, we asked the owner if we could throw a few raisins in and around the garden and wow! He came down and then came down right in front of us only a few feet away and seemed unperturbed by a rush of birders clanking tripods.
Mick, here is a bit of advice, what you need to do is get out and start doing some bird finding and gaining general experience in birds and their habits after a while you will get the hang of it. This is far better than running around chasing other peoples birds and being so sad that you just want to moan about others that are far more competent than yourself. Unfortunately these days the twitching scene is full of low level bird spotters like you. In the old days people used to get a local patch familiarise themselves with the common species then consider travelling more widely in search of new birds, this went along with swotting up on the identification of less familiar birds such as melodious/icterine warbler or Mediterranean gull etc. Sadly these days are long gone people go straight to the twitching scene and don’t have a clue about what they are looking at. A good example of this is the recent Melodious warbler in Notts, good on the finder for noticing something different. But for crying out loud the bird was being watched virtually all day before someone with an ounce of knowledge and ability made the correct ID. That’s an example what has happened to the state of the typical twitching crowd. I’m not against beginners but for heaven’s sake I don’t like to be told where to stand by folks who don’t have a clue what they are looking at.
Another thing I can’t understand is why people seem to think it’s good to arrive at a twitch to watch the bird facing the sun in terrible heat haze when they can scarcely see anything more than a blob and think that a satisfactory ‘tick’. The whole idea of going to see a rare bird is that you are supposed to be familiarising yourself with the identification features for future reference when you might be lucky enough to come across one for yourself. I don’t know whether it’s just laziness in walking or just general lack of interest in the bird once the tick has been trainspotted. The melodious warbler incident proves this point none of the people twitching the melodious warbler had any idea what they were looking at, none of them bothered to look at the ID features before travelling to see the bird, how pathetic!
At the RCS none of us wanted to move back due to the fact that we were trying to enjoy the bird as the 3 idiots 5m behind were talking really loudly, joking and talking general drivel, they sounded like they were all bloody deaf to me. I caught some bull about the bird getting blown off course and rubbish about some birds the 3 in the group were bragging about seeing, Yawn!
This seems to be a big problem these days at twitches with people making constant loud noise that frequently prevents the bird coming out into the open. As said earlier In fact the majority of people these days at twitches are absolutely clueless as to what they are watching, but appear to be experts in the tolerance to a birds approachability. A lot of photographers at rarities these days try to sit quietly to the side and wait for the bird to come to them. This can be difficult as if you try to do this all you get is a load of numpties stood directly behind you chatting loudly arms waving about and constantly clanking tripods standing directly over where the bird wants to come out while you’re sitting quietly hoping for the bird to show. Well if you do this expect to be walked in front of, its people trying to get away from the numpties.
Also I will add I was never on Dunwich heath taking pictures of Dartford warblers except for the day I had a walk there when I rough-legged buzzard fly over, If I had seen someone on there that day I would have remembered. Other than that the only other day I’ve been up there was the day of the Daurian shrike so Pete I think you must be confusing me with someone else.

Kevin. On the subject of the melody. Agree the wing formula from the photos being obvious. Was at the site yesterday. Had two flight views in five hours. Would have been a nightmare to id yesteday. It also responded to a tape of icky warbler, or so I understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back