• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lost Land of the Tiger camera traps (1 Viewer)

Oops, sure they are around Edinburgh too though, with the hominids ;)

Come across them all the time in my job :)

I've played around with a couple of different kinds but only cameras and separate recorders which are a bit figgety, not the all in one bushnell types. They might not be too expensive, I'll have a look around... though there ain't no birthday money Andrew!

Donations welcome ;)

Come across them all the time in my job :)

I've played around with a couple of different kinds but only cameras and separate recorders which are a bit figgety, not the all in one bushnell types. They might not be too expensive, I'll have a look around... though there ain't no birthday money Andrew!

Donations welcome ;)

This thread is introducing me to some intriguing new words ;).

While you were out, I think Paul C. mentioned this one on the thread about 'Lost land of the Tiger':
http://www.bushnell.com/products/trail-cameras/trophy-cam/
I don't know if that's the one they used in the programme though.

Yes - the bushnell trophy cams are the ones that were used on the programme. There are two versions - one with a built-in LCD viewer (more expensive) and one without. With Christmas and my 40th coming up, I have put the word out!;) There is also another brand of camera trap that I think they used for the wildcats on last week's Autumnwatch.

The only thing that concerns me is that they used loads of them on the programme, so it may need a great deal of luck to hit the jackpot (whatever that may be!) with just one.

Yes - the bushnell trophy cams are the ones that were used on the programme. There are two versions - one with a built-in LCD viewer (more expensive) and one without. With Christmas and my 40th coming up, I have put the word out!;) There is also another brand of camera trap that I think they used for the wildcats on last week's Autumnwatch.

The only thing that concerns me is that they used loads of them on the programme, so it may need a great deal of luck to hit the jackpot (whatever that may be!) with just one.

You just need to think like a tiger! Or other animal of choice! Just think for every night of cranefly footage you're gradually improving your tracking skills. Maybe.

Anyone out there with any experience using them?

Thanks for all replies so far

Look where in your area you see lots of animal tracks and try there. Some places in the woods are just good. On my local patch I know some forest pools (like holes in the ground) and one sandy meadow on the forest edge where I always see lots of animal tracks. Or you can bait with tuna can or fruit jam.

I am myself curious about camera traps and would welcome any info on how often they get stolen. ;)

Interesting suggestion here: http://www.pinemarten.info/newsite/blog/?cat=11

Drag a dead rabbit through the forest and then leave the remains (with jam, peanut butter etc. on top) in front of your camera trap.

I suppose the only thing you would need to be careful of is not drawing predators into sensitive areas for ground nesting birds.

And hope noone sees you...!

It's harder work and obviously less reliable but I think it's a lot more rewarding to capture them more naturally. Admittedly the best we've filmed is badgers but you soon get a bit bored of watching them eat bait, I'd happily trade in hours of footage of them munching peanuts for a few minutes of more natural and interesting behaviour.

Each to their own though, I just hope people don't buy all those cameras before I bite the bullet!

Have you got nuisance neighbours you need to monitor Laura? Might be cheaper to hire a fella to give them the malky. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back