• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Hoverfly Thread (1 Viewer)

Hi Geoff,
it's not a hoverfly but a Soldierfly! Probably Stratiomys potamida [given the common name of Banded General fairly recently]. Nice find though, I've been looking for these for a few years now and am yet to connect!!
Cheers,
Steve.

Cheers Steve... Thats really appreciated, I've googled your suggestion and it appears spot on. Case closed I think.. Yay..!!!.. Hope you connect soon Steve :t:

Much appreciated B :)

a couple more for id please

Loved hoverflies all the time, now wanting to get into identifying them! So firstly could you tell me what these 2 are please, (2pics of one) im not sure if the last one is a hoverfly though, not actually seen it before

002.jpg

003-2.jpg

006-3.jpg

My garden has been invaded by these in the past few days; far out-numbering E. corollae. The main attractant as ever is the Hebe 'Great Orme'. This has had well in excess of 100 hovers of at least 13 species on it. If I ever get time (unlikely at the moment) I'll post some photos.

Best so far have been Eristalis intricarius, Volucella inanis, Platycheirus albimanus (common I know, but probably overlooked in the garden), Myathropa florea, Scaeva pyrastri.

a few from the garden

I had fun snapping away... but could someone help me with IDs. The black and white one was bigger than any of the others. I've got more shots of some of them if I'm missing a vital feature.
Thanks,
Ken

Attachments

• hoverfly1 exIMG_1067 (800).jpg
    hoverfly1 exIMG_1067 (800).jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 47
  • hoverfly2 exIMG_1084 (800).jpg
    hoverfly2 exIMG_1084 (800).jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 49
  • hoverfly3 ex8475 (800).JPG
    hoverfly3 ex8475 (800).JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 56
  • hoverfly4 ex8479 (800).JPG
    hoverfly4 ex8479 (800).JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 47
  • hoverfly5 ex8486 (800).JPG
    hoverfly5 ex8486 (800).JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 51
I'm doing this without the book in front of me so there may be errors. Get them checked.

1. Eupeodes corollae (lunules appear to extend onto the sides of the tergites)
2. Scaevia pyrastri
3. Eupeodes luniger (lunules are comma like and side of tergites are black)
4. ?
5. Eristalis sp. A shot from the front would help.

I don't have a book either at the moment, but the 3rd one could be Dasysyrphus venustus. 4th is a Platycheirus, maybe one of the clypeatus group. As with Brian,though, these are unchecked.

I'm doing this without the book in front of me so there may be errors. Get them checked.

1. Eupeodes corollae (lunules appear to extend onto the sides of the tergites)
2. Scaevia pyrastri
3. Eupeodes luniger (lunules are comma like and side of tergites are black)
4. ?
5. Eristalis sp. A shot from the front would help.

Thanks, Brian and John,
I'll have a look in my book and see if I can get any further.
The 'front view' of #5 may not show the relevant features - I'm not sure what you are looking for.
Ken

Attachments

• hoverfly5 ex8482 (800).JPG
    hoverfly5 ex8482 (800).JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 44
Merodon equestris?

I've posted this request on the main board too, but although it's getting views it's not getting responses, so I'm casting the net a bit further.

Are these Narcissus flies? They were feeding in a coniferous forest in inland Northumberland today

Attachments

• P1210399 copy.jpg
    P1210399 copy.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 50
  • P1210438 copy.jpg
    P1210438 copy.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 58
Thanks, Brian and John,
I'll have a look in my book and see if I can get any further.
The 'front view' of #5 may not show the relevant features - I'm not sure what you are looking for.
Ken

Not sure I'm going to get these sorted. Help appreciated.
Is there anyone who collects 'records' of hoverflies?
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back