• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your advice please..... (1 Viewer)

Recording software, eh? Well, that depends ...

If you're talking music recording software, I can certainly help. If you're talking bird log recording software, you can probably check out www.birdlog.co.uk and they have free software to download which is pretty easy to use. I think IanF recommends it. Unless you know otherwise Ian?

:cool:

Hm. Just checked out this site I mentioned and it doesn't appear to be there anymore. D'oh!

:-C

I had birdlog Ralph and yes it appears to have gone, there have been folks asking of it's whereabouts on the ng, don't know what happened to it :(

El Annie

Well, if you would like BirdLog again, I always make a point of saving my downloaded program files to CD-R, so I can certainly send you a copy on CD if you wish. There are definitely no copyright problems 'cos I seem to recall at the time the guy who wrote the program said it could be copied at will.

Let me know if you need another copy. It is, unfortunately, much too big to email (over 4meg as memory serves).

:t:

Birdlog certainly seems to have bitten the dust. The chap who wrote it lived near me, and I used to see him out and about on my local patch. i haven't seen him for ages, so I can only assume that he's given up birding (shame!)

Darrell

This is a question, Ive been asking for ages and seem to be getting no where with!!! A good website for recording is www.birddiary.co.uk, its a new site and allows you to enter records for everyone to see, but at the moment doesnt allow you to print or store it on your own pc.But is new and improving all the time !! Also www.birdwire.co.uk has been reccomended to me and Ive tried installing it, but cant get it to work on my pc.....

Another thread that I missed out on whilst on holiday ???
You are right Ralph, I do use this one, but Stuart got the link right - it's from the Birdwire site not Birdlog. It works okay for me and I must have had it nearly two years now, since it's inception. It is simple though I haven't any other similar programs to compare it with. You can customise it and add your own comments, but not include photos which would have been nice. Best of all it's FREE
It is still available on the link :bounce:
http://www.birdwire.co.uk/ -
I seem to recall it's about 4 MB and may need MS Access to work properly, though I can't honestly rmeber now. Give it a go and if it works then - great !

Last edited:
When I downloaded mine, Ian, I mailed the guy who wrote the program and he gave me a serial number which removed the annoying nag box. Of course, I no longer have the serial AND I can't contact the guy to give me another one. I think he's definitely sold out to some bigger cheese, and I don't think I'll be bothering them.

I have heard of some super-duper recording software, although the name slips my feeble mind at this early hour. It does cost a bit though, but I understand it arrives on a shiny CD-ROM and can do everything you could possibly desire. Except make toast.

If I ever come across it, I will share the info here.

;)

I must admit that I bought the Birdguides 5 CD Rom set of all the birds of Europe and within that set came a birdlog programme. I log everything I see and by using my comments wisely I can extract all sorts of lists from it.

Recently I changed it for the DVD version but I still have the old 5 CD Rom set. I hadn't thought about it before but I suppose I could sell it. It was originally £149. What are they worth now. I don't know, what do you think?

Erm, all well and good dowitcher!! But some of us surfers arent as good as you, with all that programming malarkey.......Im sure it just aint as simple as that ???? is it ?

If it is I may give it a go !!!

Stuart said:
Erm, all well and good dowitcher!! But some of us surfers arent as good as you, with all that programming malarkey.......Im sure it just aint as simple as that ???? is it ?

If it is I may give it a go !!!

I only write mine in HTML because I've got a webpage: anyone else could just write it on a word processor, typewriter (!) or even (horror of horrors) a NOTEBOOK!!!!!

A NOTEBOOK !!!! :king:

and I thought it was a computer age, if only I can only figure out, how to turn the thing on and make me a cup of coffee;)

Bird Recording Software

I think the all-singing, all-dancing one referred to earlier is Bird Recorder 32, from Wildlife Computing. It is expensive (nearly £100 for the version with full World Database). I have no connection with the producer, just put me down (gently) as a satisfied user. If it will not violate rules on advertising, I can post the URL where full details may be found. Also records mammals, butterflies, moths & dragonflies.

HTH

Tony

Hi Stuart
I am sure they do make coffee if you get the correct programme, because mine came with a coffe cup holder!. It slides out of alittel drawer in the front!

burhinus

Coffee cup holder

Beware, though, chaps and chappesses - when you reboot the computer, it sneakily dives inside the case, leaving the coffee cup with no visible means of support. This is of course against the law (in this instance, Gravity), and the cup plummets downwards, invariably on a slant with the mouth towards you. Its progress is impeded by the shelf / desk / 200 year old oak table (delete whichever is inapplicable) upon which your equipment rests. This restriction of motion is not, however, shared by the liquid contained therin, which continues merrily upon its way, with the addition of a forward component added by the tilt of the original container, plus various swirling effects occasioned by the contours of the cup. The hot liquid thus released propels itself away from the computer, and thus towards any person or object in its path, with hilarious results. In short, the coffee spills in your lap. You Have Been Warned.

Tony

Er, sorry guys - you've lost me ...

Just looked closely at my Sinclair ZX80 and I can't find any said coffee-holder. Do you think it's too late to take it back and complain?

o:)

Essential Accessories

Sorry, Ralph, the ZX80 was an early model - only had the built-in coffee grinder, aka tape drive.

Speaking of computers and allied food incidents (we weren't, but we might as well), when I was a lad I was a computer mainframe operator on an ICL 1904. These beasts used to get extremely hot, and on night shift we used to remove one side of the casing to try to keep it cool and us warm. And it came to pass that we discovered that it was hot enough inside to warm up meat pies (still in their cellophane, of course) - sort of an early macrowave. All went well, until one fateful night the pie slipped... It was difficult explaining away the loss of an hour's processing time as we stripped the mainframe down to retreive our errant supper, and I'm sure the ops manager didn't believe a word of it.
Happy days.

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back