• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D850 (1 Viewer)

Two things from my point of view, 1 i cant afford a D850 2 i never use any form of tracking so the D500 is perfect for me even though i dont know how well it tracks.
With a duck flying towards me with the D500 its past me with out me losing focus and that's at F9 with the Sigma 100-400 and 1.4 converter i use single point or 25 points.

A set from yesterday, i would need to have a lot of spare cash to buy the D850.

These where in the ISO 6400 area

Hi Mike,

That's quite impressive, would you mind sharing what AF tracking setting where you using? Are these cropped any?

Thanks

Kevin

Hi Mike,

That's quite impressive, would you mind sharing what AF tracking setting where you using? Are these cropped any?

Thanks

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,i dont use any form of tracking,focus point is always in the center single or 25,i think i would have most likely have started with 25 but gone to single towards the end.
The last one has had a small crop but not much.

Vespo,

Well, I think the D850's claim to fame is greater DR and ISO performance than the D810, whilst increasing resolution by about 25% AND was supposed to offer D5/D500 levels of AF performance. The dpreview (petapixels) report linked above, on AF is putting some doubt in my mind about that aspect of it ..... I'm looking forward to Les reporting back, and especially finding out more about the performance @9fps. :brains:

What I find a bit difficult to reconcile is the variation in DR measurements as made by DXOMARK and PhotonsToPhotos ...... I mean DXO has the D850 performing better than the D750, while at PTP it's the other way around!

Similarly, at PTP, the D850 in DX mode performs worse than the native crop sensor camera D500, despite the D500's few % smaller pixel pitch and higher resolution (which in theory should put it just behind the D850 in DX mode) --- what gives? :h?:

Of course DR and ISO performance is but a component of IQ, but a sizeable one nonetheless. :cat:

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Anybody updates ? I'm thinking of getting a D850 to go with my D500. I was going to get a D4s for the cleaner higher ISO when needed but thought I'll see how good the D850 is first

Thanks for posting the links etudiant.
Are you a subscriber to the Lloyd Chambers blog? .... it would be interesting to hear what his "Editorial of the Nikon D850 vs Medium Format" has to say.

I'd still like to hear more on the D850's high fps AF performance too ..... :cat:

Merely a birder interested in photography rather than a subscriber.

After the long awaited Australian BirdFair has been run and gone this weekend, I had hoped to be able to say what the D850 felt like in the hand both without and with the accessory battery grip ........ unfortunately Nikon photographic was a complete and utter no show!

They were there last time it was run 2 or 3 years ago, unlike Canon who've never put in an appearance, but this no show by any photographic equipment makers this year was very disappointing ....... :-C

D850 UK price dropped below £2,500 this week, wonder why?

It is your PM trying to convince you that Brexit will not be that bad -- or it is Nikon trying to get rid of their stock before Brexit means no-one can afford anything anymore.

3:)

NR reports D850 due for replacement but they don't say when. Now that mobile phone cameras are so good, in low light and detail, hope Nikon goes for quality - low noise and dynamic range rather than just upping the megapixel count.

NR reports D850 due for replacement but they don't say when. Now that mobile phone cameras are so good, in low light and detail, hope Nikon goes for quality - low noise and dynamic range rather than just upping the megapixel count.
Nikon has 'sales events' from time to time - such as the "Fall" sales event where there are discounts on a wide range of gear https://www.nikonrumors.co/up-to-1600-off-nikon-instant-savings-to-be-expired-tomorrow/

There are quite a few models coming up for replacement and in the short time I have known Nikon (a tumultuous relationship ! :) they seem cynical enough not to offer sales of run out models. They are more likely to wait until the new model has launched and sales of the old model have slowed, or just to clean up the last remaining few units ......

Any D850 replacement (D860?) will likely use the Sony a7R IV 61MP sensor as a base, and I also suspect twinned with the Mirrorless version (Z8?). Noise/Dynamic range will be very similar to the Sony offering.

I suspect they will do the same with the D750/ Z6 'twins' replacement (D760?/Z6II?) ......

It will be interesting to see what they do with the former ~45MP D850/Z7 twins once the new higher resolution models appear - I suspect they will leave them on the market available as new offerings to plug the resolution market gap in a similar fashion that Sony does.

Suggestion that the update to the D850 will have 60MP, is this a good idea?
It would be based on the Sony sensors and looking at the three (D850, a7RIII, and a7RIV) they are all pretty much line ball for photographic dynamic range. The 60MP sensor then would offer better resolution.

It becomes more of a question of file size, processing speed, and handling. There are also more onerous diffraction limitations on lenses. If Nikon offers dual CFe memory card slots, ups the computational brains and processing pathways of the camera commensurately, and offers in-camera crops back down to the lower resolutions then it's no harm no foul.

I would really like to see Nikon offer the 3 resolution market points as per Sony - 24, 42/45/47, 60/61MP.

Perhaps that's why Nikon called the updated D750 the D780 rather than the D760 ..... to offer a bit of market space if the D850 upgrade followed suit with a D880 - that way they could offer the 2 resolutions to the market at the same time, the way that they left the D800, and D810 lingering on.

My biggest wish is that they would unhobble the frame rate on the D850 so that it would do the full whack 9fps without requiring the heavy battery grip addition. That would be the camera I wanted all those years ago ! :D

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back