• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griffon Vultures Portuguese/Spanish border (1 Viewer)

Lynda MS

Hi
I understand there is a large colony of Griffon Vultures on the border of the Sao Mamede national park.
Does anyone know the exact location and whether the site is accessable for photography purposes?

Thanks Simon, useful information, but there is also a fair sized colony further south, somewhere near the Marvao to Valencia road and right on the border, but the exact location eludes me so far.

Hello Lynda,

The colony you mention is at a place called Galegos. It is very easy to find, as it lies directly next to the road.

Leaving from Castelo de Vide (or Marvão), pass Portagem and follow the signs to Spain. About 1 km (or less) before crossing the border, a huge rock appears on the left, it's called Fraga da Esparoeira.

Image here: http://www.avesdeportugal.info/images/esparoeira.jpg

I should note, however, that the colony is not very large, it has 3 or 4 pairs, I think.

Hope this helps,
Gonçalo

Thank you for the information Goncales
I found the rock but only saw one vulture overhead. However if you go a bit further, cross the border and about 100m on the left is a ruined house, a further 100m after this is a grass track on the left, you can park here and there is a track that gets you closer to the rock. There is said to be a colony here of over 20 pairs, unfortunately it started to rain and the cloud was low but we saw 11 vultures overhead at this point. I need to go back on a better day.
Another day I went to the Portas do Rodao and managed some photography from the viewing platform in front of the Castelo do Rodao [also signposted as the Castelo Rei Vamba] where we saw about 6 pairs overhead and on the rocks opposite. Best photo on www.flickr.com/photos/105107154@N07/
Which is the best month/time of day for vultures?
I will never forget the vultures at Monfrague, hundreds of them which we saw at the end of January.
Lynda

Which is the best month/time of day for vultures?
I will never forget the vultures at Monfrague, hundreds of them which we saw at the end of January.
Lynda

Right now is good, but most birds should be on eggs/chicks and the other member of the pair can be absent of the colony, but you should be able to get some “good” numbers at Rodão at any time in the next few months, the most important is that you arrive early before the birds start to take off, that is also important because Egyptian-vultures return earlier than Griffons, and being there earlier is the best strategy to get all the breeding species, Griffons, Egyptians and Black storks, but there’s not a right time to arrive, it depends of the time of the year, weather conditions etc, as a rule of tumb 2-3 hours after the sun rise is a safe window. Be on the lookout for Black-vulture, they are no very frequent at Rodão, but occur occasionally

Thank you for the information Goncales
I found the rock but only saw one vulture overhead. However if you go a bit further, cross the border and about 100m on the left is a ruined house, a further 100m after this is a grass track on the left, you can park here and there is a track that gets you closer to the rock. There is said to be a colony here of over 20 pairs,

Hi Lynda, I am not sure about the most recent figures, but I think that 20 pairs is a little too optimistic.

Best r.,
Gonçalo

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back