• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lifford Reservoir and nearby canals (1 Viewer)

4.30 PM....

Great Crested Grebe....only saw 3 adult and 1 chick....

Angler says had 2 dead Field mice floating in Resa ....thinks poisoned after "they" cleared up trees etc alongside river.
He thinks this is also to blame for not seeing "hawk" along car park in day and Barn Owl at night.
Also on about there might be a road built between River and Resa to relieve congestion on Lifford Lane.....

Thanks Keith.

I wonder what time at night they've been seeing a Barn Owl (and whether it was actually a Barn Owl and not a Tawny Owl), and when they last saw it.

Could be fishermans tales Rob...lol

On BTO a Barn Owl was reported in Bournville in 2013 and a local paper reported one in a Selly Oak back garden in 2014 (maybe an escapee). I thought I saw one once in Brum but it disappeared so quick and I was so in shock I just couldn't be sure what I saw lol, I'll keep on looking though.

(BTO has reports of Tawny Owls at Stirchley)

Last edited:
On BTO a Barn Owl was reported in Bournville in 2013 and a local paper reported one in a Selly Oak back garden in 2014 (maybe an escapee). I thought I saw one once in Brum but it disappeared so quick and I was so in shock I just couldn't be sure what I saw lol, I'll keep on looking though.

(BTO has reports of Tawny Owls at Stirchley)

Cheers...good info.

As lots of Midlands sites are doing lists today, here's my paltry effort. 9.30am - 11am, 28 species.

Mute Swan
Canada Goose
Mallard
Tufted Duck
Great Crested Grebe
Coot
Moorhen
Black-headed Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Chiffchaff
Long-tailed Tit
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Treecreeper
Feral Pigeon
Woodpigeon
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Wren
Robin
Blackbird
Magpie
Jay
Carrion Crow
Jackdaw
Goldfinch
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Bullfinch

First time I've seen Treecreeper around Lifford. My personal year list for this site now up to 51 species.

Does anyone know whether this area at the junction of the two canals in Kings Norton has a specific name?

It's a regular part of my Lifford walk now, easily accessed from Broad Meadow Lane canal bridge, and always plenty of birds around. A pair of Great Spotted Woodpeckers this morning, as well as at least five Jays.

Attachments

• junction_wood.jpg
    junction_wood.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 83
I don't know if it has a specific name, but the canal junction is known as King's Norton Junction so I suppose you could use that for the adjacent area too?

Last edited:
I don't know if it has a specific name, but the canal junction is known as King's Norton Junction so I suppose you could use that for the adjacent area too?

Yes, probably a good call.

The other bonus of that patch is that it's always deserted when I've been there. Occasionally someone walking a dog but more often no-one. The paths are well mown but the rest of it seems to be left untended.

Good numbers of birds around the canal junction this morning, shortly after the rain had stopped.

Small group of Fieldfare and Redwing moving through.
At least three male and two female Bullfinch.
Groups of Goldfinch, up to 50 at a time.
Sparrowhawk over.

Grey Wagtail at Lifford Reservoir.
Black-headed Gull with a light green ring on its right leg, flew off just as I got the binoculars on it sadly.
Noticeable build-up in gull numbers around the tip, with several Lesser Black-Backed and Herring Gulls perched on the buildings.

Sparrowhawk over the canal junction around 11.45am, followed by a male Kestrel over the woods nearby around midday.

No fishermen at Lifford this morning, so two Cormorants were airing their wings and a Grey Heron was flitting around the edges. Still two Great Crested Grebes present.

Several roving flocks of tits (Long-tailed, Great, Blue) with Goldcrest in amongst them.

At the canal junction, Great Spotted and Green woodpeckers, Jay, Bullfinch, Redwing, Buzzard overhead and a Kestrel over the woods.

I ended 2017 on 52 species for the area around Lifford.

This morning's highlights 10am - 11am (my second visit this year):

Lifford Reservoir - Cormorant, Great Crested Grebe x 3, Stock Dove, Sparrowhawk (being mobbed by crows) and a group of 3 Raven doing aerobatics high up.

Also a Collared Dove at the canal junction, not a common species in Birmingham in my experience.

The biting wind was encouraging most smaller birds to stay under cover.

Chiffchaff in the scrubby trees along the path at the north end of the reservoir around 10.30am
Grey Wagtail x2
Greenfinch x1

Coots nest building
Jays noisily scrapping for territory
Great Spotted Woodpeckers chasing each other around

50+ Swallows and House Martins feeding over the water at Lifford this morning.
Not regular visitors in my experience.

Song Thrushes all over the place, but the Blackcaps seem to have moved on.

50+ Swallows and House Martins feeding over the water at Lifford this morning.
Not regular visitors in my experience.

Song Thrushes all over the place, but the Blackcaps seem to have moved on.

Fantastic.....wouldn't expect to see that there

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back