• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

P900 - I don't understand (1 Viewer)

Thank you Marc... it'll take me a while to understand all that I think.

No doubt I'll be back with more questions LOL

Thank you Marc... it'll take me a while to understand all that I think.

No doubt I'll be back with more questions LOL

The short answer is those are older cameras and most any modern card you put in there should be fine. For current model cameras, again most any UHS-I or UHS-II card should be ok. For really fast mirrorless or top-end DSLRs or if 4K/8K video is your thing, you need to be a bit careful to get the right card.

SD, SDHC, SDXC, and SDUC are all "SD" sized cards, but with larger and larger storage capacities. These terms only refer to capacity. Speed is a different thing. microSD is the smaller format card.

SD 1.0, SD 1.1, UHS-I, UHS-II, and UHS-III refer to the speed of the electrical connections that attach the card to the host device. They are all backwards compatible. The original SD 1.0 is a 12.5 MB/sec connection, SD 1.1 is 25 MB/sec, and the UHS range from 50 MB/sec to over 300 MB/sec. That's the electrical connection, the actual write speeds will depend on what's inside the card, but will never exceed the bus speed.

Cards have a maximum and minimum rated read and write speed (4 speeds total). The minimum is more-or-less sustainable, such as for video applications. The maximum is usually for short bursts (where "short" will vary from card to card).

Nowadays, SD cards (all all the HC/XC variants) are measured for speed in either Class (C), UHS speed (U), or video speed (V). So you can have things like a C6 or C10 card, or a U1 or U3 card, or a V60 or V90 card. Bigger is better. U speed is generally for photography and V speed is generally for constant video recording, though this distinction can be blurred in top-end cameras that have super deep buffers and can take 100s or photos back-to-back.

For older cameras, usually any UHS-I or better card will be fine. It's going to be as good or better than a Class 10 (well, maybe there is some really junky card out there).

I got a P900 recently and also purchased a spare Duracell battery and a charger. Although rare, I've heard a few horror stories about third party batteries overheating so it seemed sensible to risk a cheap charger rather than a £600+ camera.

Over on the Nikon forum we have had reports of occasional problems using microcards, not any specific camera so its just a word of caution.

Over on the Nikon forum we have had reports of occasional problems using microcards, not any specific camera so its just a word of caution.
My rule of thumb is don't use adapters. Use the card size native to the device (if it's SD, don't use micro-SD with an upsizing adapter, for example).

Same with card readers; I prefer card readers that can read a give card size with it's own slot, without adapters.

Adapters just tend to be another point of failure or slowdown. Maybe modern ones are better, but I only use them when no other option is available.

Thanks so much for all the advice on this guys. I've decided on a card reader and will stick with the XD cards I currently use.

I've been offered one by Keith Dickinson, as he no longer needs his.

..... and Hans & Judy Beste have offered to sell me their no longer wanted P900, which I'll pick up when I get there. Complete with cards, batteries, UV filter and carrying case.

Aren't Birdforum members wonderful!!!!:t:

I had a UV filter for a Coolpix 990 and 995 (best part of 20 years ago). Can't remember how good they were, but they did protect the lens from scratches. As there's no sun hood, I guess it will be a good idea to use it.

Hi Dee,
I bought one of those rubber collapsable lens hoods cheap off ebay and it does a good job.I bought a uv filter for mine and found that it does slightly degrade image quality with very fine detail......i no longer use it.I think that adding yet more glass over a lens that is aready at the limits of what it can achieve will only add to a slight degredation in iq.
Good luck with the p900....it is capable of some lovely images,especially when used in less automated modes.

Oh thanks very much Mike!!!

The P900 isn't mentioned on there, I presume you know it is a fit though?

Thanks Mike and Neil.

So, it definitely is the 67mm one I would need?

Hi Daniel, you just need to re-size your images. If you don't know how, here's a few ideas:

Re-sizing Pictures:

After you've done any other work on your pic (always a copy mind ) and cropped away any part of the picture you don't want, you can then re-size it. But don't crop to get the file size you want.

How you actually do it depends on what programs you have.

In Windows 7 you can right click on the image and there's an option to re-size (choose the smallest 800x600 - you can go bigger 1032 on the longest side I think, but Windows doesn't give you that option!). Adobe Photoshop: you have a better choice there, in the Image menu: Resize, you can actually choose the size you want, and the quality... always select medium.

Window 8: Right click on the image and select Edit from the drop down. Then select Image from the menu in the Paint programme that opens. You can then type in the number of pixels for the longest side. I usually choose 900 but you can go up to 1032.

I use Paint.net (free) for basic editing. Then select Image > Resize. Type in 900 in the highlighted box and save. Then Save As (new name).

Alternatively you could download the free program called Picassa.

If you use a Mac, this page shows you how to do it: http://www.howtogeek.com/201638/use-your-macs-preview-app-to-crop-resize-rotate-and-edit-images/

I hope one of these ideas work for you. If not, try posting in the Computer subforum - I'm sure someone will have more suggestions for you. There's loads of methods depending what software you have.

Actually.... silly me.... it's just the same process (and size) as you'd use to prepare images for the Gallery, except you attach them to a post on here.

Hi Den

I don't have it yet LOL. Hans & Judy Beste in Queensland have offered to sell me theirs, which they've hardly used. I'll be staying with them early October and they say I can test it out and make sure I'm happy with it before I actually buy it off them. It comes complete with cards, batteries and carry case too.

I'm getting a little excited now - less that 90 days till I set off for that holiday!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back