• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Report: BGA Classic 7x36 (1 Viewer)

I feel even better about the price I paid. Pretty close to that Eaglet price including tax. They still have at least one more at that price if anyone is interested.

I was looking up different eyepiece designs and found this site.
http://www.quadibloc.com/science/opt04.htm
Apart from Kellner and Erfle I'm not sure which are used in binoculars, but I'd never been quite sure which kind of glass went where in the designs. On the Abbe/RI chart I think ED glass is the light pink in the bottom left.

The funding of education is a contentious issue here. I was fortunate that I got my university education for free and even got some funding for living expenses. Back then I think it was something like 8% went to university now it's almost 40% and the math doesn't add up.

David

I've just bought a used Delta 7x36 (marketed when new by 'in focus') in excellent condition on UK eBay for £48 (c.$77). Comparing it with the Eaglet 7x36, it's identical, and with the Classic 7x36 BGA from Opticron it's clearly a clone apart from slight cosmetic differences in the body shape, but the specification's the same in every detail. The Delta's view is bright and contrasty, pretty sharp (but not as good as a Zeiss Conquest or Nikon SE) and focus is smooth (but goes the 'wrong' way, anti-clockwise to infinity, back all the way down to a near limit of about four feet!). The black satin rubber covered body is pleasant to hold, is inscribed "Made in Japan, 7x36, Field 7.14*, J-B35, Waterproof, Phase Corrected, Multicoated, Delta from 'in focus', 000198". Eye cups twist up and down nicely (I have them nearly all the way down to minimise blackouts, with 'O' rings 2mm width inserted) and it came with a neat, nicely made weather resistant case and good quality RSPB neck strap. I didn't need "yet another binocular" (as my wife put it) but I couldn't resist buying such a bargain. The Opticron version sold new in the UK for £399, discounted down to £349, and I've never seen even a used one go for less than £200, so I feel I've done rather well...!
P.S. I see there's now another one for sale by the same seller, currently at £19.99 with 5 days to go... (Usual disclaimer, no connection with me, except as a satisfied customer).

Last edited:
I've visited the Eagle Optics website to compare in more detail the Swift Eaglet 7x36 with my recently bought Delta 7x36, and they are twins, apart from their respective names. Build quality does seem to be impressive, and both Eaglet and Delta have the same J-B35 Japanese code. With a low serial number (000198) I wonder if mine is an early production model, although it does have phase coatings and its general cosmetic condition suggests it's almost new, or has been kept very well, and the case looks unused. The Delta's view is amazingly bright, competing well with my Bausch & Lomb 7x42 Discoverer. The names Opticron and Swift have a greater cachet than the relatively nondescript 'Delta', but for less than £50 I think I can live with that...

I now see there's an Opticron 7x36 BGA Classic for auction on UK eBay with 2 days to go, quoted as having cost around £300 when new and now offered at a starting price of £150. It's the spitting image of the Delta 7x36 in every way except the name.
I won't bore you with any more such revelations, but it's nice to know bargains such as the Delta can still be found with a bit of luck...

A few weeks ago i was trying out some bins and was handed a pair of Delta sl3. As I tried to focus the wheel would not move. On further investigation the reason for the focus wheels inability to turn became apparent, the focus wheel and the rubber armouring where as one in that they were joined by the rubber armouring itself.

Quality control was lacking in this particular model. My one and only experience with Delta I'm afraid to say was not good.

Ger.

A very good deal indeed. At that price, I wish I'd bought it, but since I have one already...
I must say that my Delta looks and feels like an expensive binocular, at least as good as my Zeiss Conquest, since its satin-smooth rubber covering is a tactile delight, unlike the Zeiss.

I tried to encourage my son to buy them (since he's signed up) but as has a couple of binos, borrowed from me, he didn't think he needed them. :eek!:

Hope you enjoy your Deltas as much as I enjoy the Classics.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back