Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Geese and night migration

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Sunday 1st October 2017, 20:51   #1
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 11,753
Geese and night migration

We've had Greater White-fronted Geese on the move over St Petersburg today and we can still hear them in the dark. Had no idea that Geese moved at night?


A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 2nd October 2017, 00:46   #2
birdmeister
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
We've had Greater White-fronted Geese on the move over St Petersburg today and we can still hear them in the dark. Had no idea that Geese moved at night?


A
Several years ago I watched the Winged Migration documentary. It had footage of Snow Geese migrating at night.
birdmeister is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 2nd October 2017, 02:09   #3
AidenD
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bergen County
Posts: 619
I've heard them migrate at night, here in the United States.
AidenD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 2nd October 2017, 19:46   #4
Barred Wobbler
Registered User
 
Barred Wobbler's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North of the wall, south of the border
Posts: 4,665
We often hear them migrating at night (mainly pinks around here), but also moving from roosting fields to feeding areas in the dark all winter.
Barred Wobbler is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 8th October 2017, 23:06   #5
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 16,463
Thousands of Barnacle Geese arrived in Northumbs from the NE this morning; they had to be flying overnight (at least one night, maybe two) from their last stopover on Bear Island (north of Norway)

https://twitter.com/Mark_A_Eaton/sta...06083390541824
https://twitter.com/RossAhmed/status/917069841927942145
Nutcracker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 9th October 2017, 01:45   #6
birdmeister
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Thousands of Barnacle Geese arrived in Northumbs from the NE this morning; they had to be flying overnight (at least one night, maybe two) from their last stopover on Bear Island (north of Norway)

https://twitter.com/Mark_A_Eaton/sta...06083390541824
https://twitter.com/RossAhmed/status/917069841927942145
The second video is really impressive! I was at Middle Creek Wildlife Management Area in Lancaster, PA a few years ago when they had about 50,000 Snow Geese. I got to see most of them coming in, and each time a Bald Eagle came by the whole group would flush... magical.
birdmeister is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 9th October 2017, 13:45   #7
jurek
Registered User
 
jurek's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Switzerland/Poland
Posts: 3,841
It is normal.

Unless you see from the window parachuting soldiers without insignia - then it was not white-fronted geese.
jurek is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 9th October 2017, 15:18   #8
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 11,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurek View Post
It is normal.

Unless you see from the window parachuting soldiers without insignia - then it was not white-fronted geese.
So that's what happened in Ukraine, they mistook Russian paratroopers for 80kg Barnacle Geese!



A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 15th October 2017, 21:48   #9
michalb
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Gdynia, Poland
Posts: 113
Geese migrating at night is a regular thing I suppose. In autumn I hear them quite often while at home or while jogging in late evening. In fact a loud flock passed over my home just a moment ago and it's almost midnight here. Pity I can't recognize geese by their voices
michalb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 22nd October 2017, 07:34   #10
Farnboro John
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 12,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmeister View Post
Several years ago I watched the Winged Migration documentary. It had footage of Snow Geese migrating at night.
Winged Migration is not a documentary, it is a fiction feature film that relies heavily on imprinted birds for the shots as well as green screen or other technology: Barnacle Geese do not migrate across London accompanied by camera aircraft!

John
Farnboro John is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 23rd October 2017, 16:06   #11
birdmeister
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
Winged Migration is not a documentary, it is a fiction feature film that relies heavily on imprinted birds for the shots as well as green screen or other technology: Barnacle Geese do not migrate across London accompanied by camera aircraft!

John
Good point John, a rather poor word choice on my part.

I did enjoy watching it very much, though.
birdmeister is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 23rd October 2017, 16:55   #12
Farnboro John
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 12,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmeister View Post
Good point John, a rather poor word choice on my part.

I did enjoy watching it very much, though.
I admit I didn't, but then I enjoyed the complete hokum of The Big Year on DVD recently - book was better though - we're all different!

John
Farnboro John is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 25th October 2017, 02:27   #13
birdmeister
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
I admit I didn't, but then I enjoyed the complete hokum of The Big Year on DVD recently - book was better though - we're all different!

John
Still haven't seen the DVD or read the book about The Big Year. I will probably get around to it sometime. I've never been too much into Big Years and chasing/twitching, though the WP Big Year has been interesting to follow.
birdmeister is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bar-headed geese migration JTweedie Birds & Birding 0 Thursday 8th November 2012 22:33
I heard Geese last night Euan Buchan Birds & Birding 5 Thursday 22nd October 2009 18:39
Geese migration - natural hierarchies? regmus Migration 2 Saturday 27th December 2008 23:30
Geese Migration margox10 Say Hello 7 Wednesday 12th November 2008 14:29
Migration of geese - natural hierarchies regmus Say Hello 5 Sunday 2nd November 2008 22:18



Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.35801411 seconds with 25 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 23:52.