• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX60HS in Action (2 Viewers)

Thanks for posting them Kevin,you've made me think about this camera for the times i dont want to carry my kit about.Have a good Christmas.........and that applies to everybody else too.

some recent shots

Attachments

• sx.jpg
    sx.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 187
  • sx2.jpg
    sx2.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 74
  • sx3.jpg
    sx3.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 72
  • sx4.jpg
    sx4.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 174
  • sx5.jpg
    sx5.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 66
Not exactly crown jewels or anything but...

I know some of you have requested to see some before-and-after when I "salvage" photos of questionable quality into decent ones and I may have one to show soon of a Dark-Eyed Junco taken in shaded canopy conditions without flash, which is hell on the SX60 at any decent shutter speed for capturing moving birds.

Both are nice photos. I like the detail shown in the wing of the Cormorant. Normally they look so plain.

I am one who likes to see the original photo and the end result. It lets me know what the camera can do and what can be done with editing software. It will be interesting to see the Junco photo.

Okay this wasn't the best example I could provide, and I'll try to find a better one at some point:

I'm not exactly "gallery happy" with this salvage/rescue but it does give some indication of how truly bad an SX60 photo can be and still get at least ID-quality results, if not mediocre record/showable photos.

I have done some that look dark (though a tad lighter than this) and then made them look like they were shot in broad daylight, but it depends on the incoming JPEG really; still requires a bit of luck and persistence. I still wish I'd had my flash with me on this one. |8)|

An interesting thread. I love my 7D MkII, but as I age the aprox. 2.7 kilo of weight in my camera and 100-400 mm lens and 1.4 extender is steadily becoming more and more limiting on the time actually spent on birding. Especially as I often walk several kilometers carrying my kit. I've already moved to a very light weight binocular that suits me fine and have to work freehand rather than tote in a tripod. Losing a couple of kilos of weight would help with the arthritis and I have recently been considering trying out an SX60 for everyday type use. The image quality was one of the main things that I was worrying about but it looks like that hasn't been an issue.

Again, the threads been helpful, thanks to all.

cheers kevin,forgot to mention this was a deleted pic,my inbuilt card reader on my laptop was playing up so I put a lead between my camera and laptop during the process I deleted the pics on my camera only to find I never copied them,used a free program called recuva ,the pic was taken yesterday and the recovered pic had a grey bar along the bottom but I was quite impressed as quite a few pics were recovered and all were the original size and some were complete without the grey bar :t:

a landscape under testing lighting,the pic was taken handheld on auto,iso 320 1/60 multi segment metering

Attachments

• clatto.jpg
    clatto.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 102
I know that I tried an SX60 once before and returned it because the IS was horrible when compared with the SX50 but all three of my SX50's are showing their age. Does anyone know if there been any word on whether Canon has perhaps done a firmware update or other changes to the IS in their most recently manufactured SX60's?

Does anyone know if there been any word on whether Canon has perhaps done a firmware update or other changes to the IS in their most recently manufactured SX60's?
Canon's site doesn't list any firmware updates to the SX60.

I had forgotten to check with the CHDK effort and it looks like they did finally dive into this camera, so maybe you'll find something there? It's still in Alpha though. Glad to see they are messing with it, it might add some interesting functionality/improvements (not sure IQ/IS will be one of them).

What issue are you having? Or did we already cover it way back in this thread?

EDIT: Looks like there are firmware versions according to the CHDK developers (1.00a, 1.00b, 1.00d, etc.). Whether they have actual improvements or are just minor things in the hardware I couldn't tell. It gets real technical in their forums and since it's in alpha it's still super-geeky beyond my ability to figure out what the letter designations are about. You might be able to find out more if you have the time to parse their forums.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back