• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Kingfishers (2 Viewers)

Kingfisher again on the Stanford Warren fishery.
It flew over the main lake.
A Coot was pecking away at a dead pigeon.
A Falcon flew past as it was getting really dark, I couldn't tell what it was.
Great!

Kingfisher yesterday and today on the Stanford Warren lake.
Yesterday it was near the nest islands, today it flew fast over the islands.
On the creek, 2 Little Egrets having a squabble and a Heron.
I think I heard another Kingfisher calling on the creek.
Great!

Last edited:
Shocking weather down the Warren, I've not had much luck seeing the Kingfisher but I can hear them.
Interesting to see a Coot has a nest and the Egyptian Geese had one surviving chick.

Wind, rain and a Kingfisher down Stanford Warren Fishery late afternoon today.
Last week there was a Marsh Harrier over the lake. Great low flying and it flew along the footpath.
Cracking!

The Kingfisher flew across Stanford Warren fishery yesterday.
Also I actually saw a Cetti's Warbler, it called right next to me and then flew to some reeds.
This evening the Barn Owl flew over.
(A dog walker saw the Bearded Tits in the sun on Sunday and got some good photo's)
Great!

It was cold down Stanford Warren Fishery so I could not hang about.
I did my best Ray Mears Kingfisher call and what called back? Yes a Kingfisher.
I could then hear it flying towards me and then another started calling. My first pair for sometime.
One Kingfisher flew past and did a u turn back down.
Great!

It's been quiet down the Stanford Warren fishery.
The Kingfisher is favouring flying down the other side of the islands so I can only see it in the distance fly past.
Still great!

It was too quiet down Stanford Warren, so I thought I best check out Chafford Gorge.
There were plenty of Cormorants, Greylag Geese and birds singing.
There were a few Shoveler, a couple Heron and Jays.
I couldn't find any Kingfisher until finally I heard a single call as I think a Kingfisher flew past.
So I gave a few call back and 2 Kingfisher started calling, tutting and then flew past.
Great!

My first ever Nightingale singing down Stanford Wharf. It was not as loud as I expected. At first it didn't sing that often but by 8.00 it was singing for longer periods of time. A Cuckoo started calling as well. Great!

Wat Tyler CP; 2 Nightingales singing & a Cuckoo calling.
Stanford Warren & Wharf; 2 Nightingales singing, a Barn Owl & a Cuckoo calling. Great!

Yesterday I visited EWT Fingringhoe on an evening Nightingale walk. There were Nightingales singing loudly everywhere.
This evening finally found a Nightingale singing at Stanford Wharf near Mucking Sluice. Great!

A Nightingale singing this evening down Stanford Wharf by Mucking Sluice, right next to me. I got a recording. There was another singing before the newt pond. Great!

The Nightingales not so vocal this evening at Stanford Wharf near Mucking Sluice. But I reckon I could hear a couple next to each other, definitely one. Great!

I was looking for a Kingfisher and instead found a Nightingale singing by Thurrock Thameside NP entrance gate and then a Kingfisher flew past. Great!
I reckon there could be a couple more Nightingales at Thurrock Thameside & Stanford Warren. There were the 2 usual ones singing by Stanford Wharf & Mucking Sluice.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back