• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where can you get Opticron's HR WP 8x42 Porro's in the US? (1 Viewer)

Also, I contacted almost everyone of the US dealers and none of them had this model in stock and they acted like they didn't even care to bother ordering it. It was a total lack of interest on their part. [/QUOTE]

Exactly the impression I got also, that they didn't want to be "bothered" by placing the order. I decided I was done with the US dealers when the last one inferred I must not no that much about binoculars since I wanted a porro design instead of one of the roofs he had in stock.

Steve

Also, I contacted almost everyone of the US dealers and none of them had this model in stock and they acted like they didn't even care to bother ordering it. It was a total lack of interest on their part.

Exactly the impression I got also, that they didn't want to be "bothered" by placing the order. I decided I was done with the US dealers when the last one inferred I must not no that much about binoculars since I wanted a porro design instead of one of the roofs he had in stock.

Steve[/QUOTE]
Exactly. I got the feeling that they were put out by shipping a pair of binoculars to me. Selling binoculars is definitely NOT on these US Dealers priority list. If I want some more Opticrons I know where I am going. East of England.

Steve
Exactly. I got the feeling that they were put out by shipping a pair of binoculars to me. Selling binoculars is definitely NOT on these US Dealers priority list. If I want some more Opticrons I know where I am going. East of England.[/QUOTE]

Discountbinoculars.com in Mendocino California sells a wide range of Opticron binoculars and will happily order what they don't carry directly from Opticron. These folks are exceptionally knowledgeable and very friendly and responsive. Shipping time and pricing is essentially identical to East of England but Opticron binoculars from this shop carry the U.S. warranty while the East of England glasses must be returned (at the owner's considerable expense) to Opticron in Luton, UK. To use a Texas expression, I now think I know all that I need to know about this particular subject.

Last edited:
Tucson Audubon Society indicated to me that they were both able and willing to take an order for the SRGA 8x32 porro. They seemed quite earnest and I've worked with them successfully in the past, but ultimately didn't place the order. Unless someone on the forum has already tried and failed to order an unlisted Opticron product from this organization, I'd give them a shot.

Clint

Related to the topic of this thread, I did just notice that Opticron seems to be going more mainstream in the US as B and H Photo, Adorama and Opticsplanet are now carrying them. Would sure love be to get my hands on an HR WP again. I miss the high quality porro image.

Be careful if you buy "new" Opticrons on Ebay. Opticron Dealers (us included) agree not to sell through 3rd parties, only their own websites and shops (at least here in the U.S.).

Last edited:
Be careful if you buy "new" Opticrons on Ebay. Opticron Dealers (us included) agree not to sell through 3rd parties, only their own websites and shops (at least here in the U.S.).

The policy is the same for the UK - dealers can sell off ex-demo and discontinued items only on eBay.

There are traders on that site though that will list ANYTHING as new even if they don't have a dealer account with the manufacturer. Often the listing they put up have vastly inflated prices - like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Opticron-T3-Trailfinder-8x25-Compact-Binoculars-Green-/251721450899

Try as we might, it is impossible to get eBay to take any action against such rogue traders - they don't have stock but they can and will take your money so Proudpapa's words of warning are very valid.

Cheers, Pete

Hi Frank. Have you had a chance to try any of the Imagic Porros? I've noticed that Opticscamp carries them.

Peatmoss,

No, sadly, I don't think I have. Maybe I can nudge one of the folks at Opticron to send me a demo unit for evaluation. ;) Any particular recommended configurations?

Hi Frank. I've been eyeing the 8x32 Imagic just because I like that particular configuration, but am also a bit intrigued by the 7x42 since this configuration is becoming increasingly rare, and, possibly, might give me what I like about 7x50s without feeling so front heavy. Maybe Peter G. could supply you with both! ;)

Peatmoss,

No, sadly, I don't think I have. Maybe I can nudge one of the folks at Opticron to send me a demo unit for evaluation. ;) Any particular recommended configurations?

Frank how about the Opticron HR80 GA ED spotter as well!! ;) I have been looking at that one for some time. Maybe that could replace my Celestron 80ED refractor and the Nikon 60ED spotter. I think I would have to keep the little Nikon 50ED.

Last edited:
I think we could happily keep Frank employed 24/7 for a year or more if we sent him everything in the catalog :)

We've initiated a new programme of independent product reviews so you should start to see more links on the website to those as they get published.

Frank - if you want to do the Imagic TGA line, we can fix that up through Kyla - let's discuss by email.

Cheers, Pete

Where can you get Opticron's HR WP 8x42 Porro's in the US? Is there any websites where you can order them.

I wrote them a few months ago to get a pair of T3 Trailfinder Compact Binoculars (8x25).

These are a few from an email that they sent. These are near here in the SF Bay Area:
================================
If you have any problems getting hold of them please call me at 704 895 3046 and I will get someone to order them in for you.

Kind regards
Michaela

Michaela Burgess
Company Administrator
Opticron LLC
Tel: (704) 895 3046
Web: www.opticronusa.com
www.facebook.com/OpticronUSA
Mail: Opticron LLC, 16501-D Northcross Drive, Huntersville, NC 28078

Hi Frank. I've been eyeing the 8x32 Imagic just because I like that particular configuration, but am also a bit intrigued by the 7x42 since this configuration is becoming increasingly rare, and, possibly, might give me what I like about 7x50s without feeling so front heavy. Maybe Peter G. could supply you with both! ;)

Peatmoss,

Just wanted to let you know that I have both the 8x32 and 7x42 Imagics in my possession. They arrived yesterday afternoon. Initial impressions of optical performance are very good. I have difficulty believing they haven't been discussed more often, especially at the price points that these are currently selling at. The only guess I have as to why this may be the case is because the apparent field of view is fairly narrow (7 degrees with the 8x32 and 7.2 degrees with the 7x42) and/or earlier comments about the eyepiece bridge being wobbly. I cannot confirm the latter as both sets have sturdy eyepiece bridges even in the 14 degree whether that I tried them out in last night.

More to follow.

Attachments

• imagic.jpg
    imagic.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back