• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Objective focus and eyepiece focus.Help!! (1 Viewer)

sir_robin

Last edited:
Hi, I bought a similar monocular secondhand from a local website. It looks exactly the same, and has "Bushnell 16x52 66m/8000m" written on it, which is pretty meaningless. By the objective focusser, it says "Day and Night 18 degrees". I think the mag is about 12x, really, and the objective lens is about 42mm. There was a box with it, that also bore the Bushnell logo. On amazon, there´s an identical monocular bearing the name "Daditong" rather than Bushnell, but with a similar box. Mine came with a nylon case. The two focussing rings had me confused, too...they both seem to focus normally, so I´ve no idea why there are two, although an advantage is that you can choose to focus with one or other hand. There´s no zoom though. Does your one really magnify to 36x?
The surprising thing is that the optics and build are pretty good, easily sufficient for my purposes, which was as a handy monocular for walking with the kids or the dog. I had it at the Cliffs of Moher two weeks ago, and because I couldn´t angle my Nikon ED50 downwards to the stacks below, the little monocular was fantastic hand-held for lying on the grass at the clifftops and looking down at the nesting puffins; very bright and clear in the sweet spot. The kids loved it.

Last edited:
It certainly isn't a Bushnell!

Lots of comments in these Amazon reviews http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00GMWR134
Thanks sir,saw this a bit too late:-C

Hi, I bought a similar monocular secondhand from a local website. It looks exactly the same, and has "Bushnell 16x52 66m/8000m" written on it, which is pretty meaningless. By the objective focusser, it says "Day and Night 18 degrees". I think the mag is about 12x, really, and the objective lens is about 42mm. There was a box with it, that also bore the Bushnell logo. On amazon, there´s an identical monocular bearing the name "Daditong" rather than Bushnell, but with a similar box. Mine came with a nylon case. The two focussing rings had me confused, too...they both seem to focus normally, so I´ve no idea why there are two, although an advantage is that you can choose to focus with one or other hand. There´s no zoom though. Does your one really magnify to 36x?
The surprising thing is that the optics and build are pretty good, easily sufficient for my purposes, which was as a handy monocular for walking with the kids or the dog. I had it at the Cliffs of Moher two weeks ago, and because I couldn´t angle my Nikon ED50 downwards to the stacks below, the little monocular was fantastic hand-held for lying on the grass at the clifftops and looking down at the nesting puffins; very bright and clear in the sweet spot. The kids loved it.

I agree Sancho, the optics is great and focus and clarity is good as well.But it cannot zoom,definitely not 36X.It is comparable to by camera which can do 12x but with more clarity.I thought something was wrong with mine.I think it is a fixed focus with two zoom rings and nothing changes which ever one you use.

Scratch that. I just took mine (my son´s, really) out to test it and it´s actually about 9x. Although in normal viewing it appeared pretty good, I looked at some tree branches against a grey sky and I don´t think I´ve ever seen CA quite as bad. Also the "sweet spot" is tiny. I wonder if I this one suffered a knock since using it last - very odd. Still okay as a cheap handy monocular, though.

two rings for focusing

Sirs,
i bought a Bushnell 36x52 for personal use(pic below) and I don't know why there exists two focus:Objective focus and eye piece focus. I thought Objective focus is to zoom and then find the right focus with eye piece zoom.But it doesn't seem to be working in this way.Anyone with a similar model know what to do?

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v1/1001283104/New-Generation-Dual-Focus-16x-Zoom-In-66M-8000M-Field-Monocular-Telescope-Sports-Hunting-Concert-Spotting.jpg_350x350.jpg

I have found that many monoculars are half a binocular and it is cheaper for the factory to use existing parts so the eyepiece focus is what would be the dioptre adjustment on a binocular. If left in the middle position it can be ignored and the focus can be set by using the front lens ring.

I have found that many monoculars are half a binocular and it is cheaper for the factory to use existing parts so the eyepiece focus is what would be the dioptre adjustment on a binocular. If left in the middle position it can be ignored and the focus can be set by using the front lens ring.

Some Asians know Americans and Europeans like big numbers, or don't know what they represent.

Bill

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 72
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back