• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Up-grading bins. (1 Viewer)

Rob Chace

I am thinking of trading in my 7x42 Eschenbachs for some top line bins. I have already had a look at zeiss fl's & nikon hgl's. ( both of which are excellent, but did not like the look of the fl's.) I have heard a lot of negatives about the ultravids & the swarovskis are just plain weird looking. (Not that it should put me off!) Has anybody found of a comparison, with ratings too the above on the net? Any other coments on these would also be appreciated. (I am looking to buy 8x42's.)
Thanks in advance, Rob. :hi:

Surely there is somewhere in the UK not too far away from you where you can look at all of these models at the same time. Whatever negatives you may have heard about the Ultravid, how do you know those debits will matter to you? Most owners seem to love them. You shouldn't reject any of the top bins simply on the basis of a couple of negative comments on the Internet. As to the Swarovski looking "weird" -- chacun a son gout!

Rob,

I would agree with Curtis on this one... don't go by what you hear on the internet. See as many binoculars "in person" as you can, and make up your own mind based on the objective facts and your personal preferences. "Try before you buy"... this should be the slogon of the BirdForum optics forums.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Those ELs are weird looking. But, they are good. I don't think thay are as good as the FLs or Ultravids. Take a look at all of them side by side and decide. I think the FLs give the best overall view, but the Ultravids are close and argueably the most durable of the bunch.

ranburr

Rob Chace said:
I am thinking of trading in my 7x42 Eschenbachs for some top line bins. I have already had a look at zeiss fl's & nikon hgl's. ( both of which are excellent, but did not like the look of the fl's.) I have heard a lot of negatives about the ultravids & the swarovskis are just plain weird looking. (Not that it should put me off!) Has anybody found of a comparison, with ratings too the above on the net? Any other coments on these would also be appreciated. (I am looking to buy 8x42's.)
Thanks in advance, Rob. :hi:

Before you plonk down your money, compare the view through your intended purchase with that through a pair of Nikon 8x32se porros.

redshift said:
Before you plonk down your money, compare the view through your intended purchase with that through a pair of Nikon 8x32se porros.

Try the Nikon HGL's...In my opinion they beat the lot....look at the 8x32's also because they compare very well agianst the bulkier 8x42's. If you want to try most makes at the same time try your nearest large RSPB site,they usually have a good range in stock.

Stu

my advice is forget the debates that go on, find a pair that YOU like. anyone of those makes: leica, swaro, nikon and ziess are going to be top-end bins with top-end prices.

do more homework before you buy, and try them all first hand if you can. dont rush into buying the ones that get the best review, they may not suit you......

i can personally vouch for the ultravids, they are breathtaking, but try out others first.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back