Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Migrations within tropical Asia?

Old Friday 18th August 2017, 15:05   #1
MalabarPiedPiper

Migrations within tropical Asia?

Hello birders!

I was wondering whether there are any species that migrate between India and the islands of Indonesia/Malaysia, specifically Borneo and Sumatra.

I'm working on a novel that involves a migration-related plot and am looking desperately for a species (or more) that travel between India and Indonesia. Google has been of little assistance.

Since most Asian migrations happen between temperate summering grounds and tropical wintering regions (Central Asia --> India; China/Japan --> SE Asia), are there any species that go between the tropical regions?

Northern India can get quite hot in the summer, and cold in the winter, and has excessive rain in the monsoon... so I was hoping that there might be some species who escape one of those seasonal changes to the more consistent equatorial climate of Borneo or Sumatra?

Any species or links would be of huge help! Thanks!
Old Friday 18th August 2017, 20:38   #2
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Large-billed Reed Warbler Acrocephalus orinus migrates from the Hindu Kush and Pamir mountains across northern India to winter in Thailand - would that work for you? A very rare bird too, very few birders have ever seen one.
Old Saturday 19th August 2017, 12:56   #3
MalabarPiedPiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Large-billed Reed Warbler Acrocephalus orinus migrates from the Hindu Kush and Pamir mountains across northern India to winter in Thailand - would that work for you? A very rare bird too, very few birders have ever seen one.
Wow, just looked it up... extremely interesting! Huge thanks for pointing this one out, don't know how else I would have been able to find it.

Unfortunately, I'm looking for one that goes further southeast to the islands of Malaysia and Indonesia, particularly Borneo and Sumatra. I guess we know sufficiently little about the large-billed reed warbler to hypothesize that they might reach the islands...

But your response really got me thinking about birds that fly over India on journeys from further northwest (Afghanistan, Iran, maybe even Asia Minor or Europe) down to Borneo and Sumatra. I wonder if you'd know any others like the long-billed reed warbler?

Thanks so much!
Old Saturday 19th August 2017, 13:42   #4
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Not sure about other species, there could be, just that I don't know myself.

Yes, you could easily use a search for Large-billed Reed Warbler down there: that there's no records yet, doesn't mean they don't get there, as there's only 2 or 3 records yet for Thailand. That leaves wide open the possibility that they are worth searching for further southeast too.
Old Saturday 19th August 2017, 16:24   #5
dalat

Hi, Himalayan Cuckoo could be one:

HBW (http://www.hbw.com/species/oriental-...us-saturatus):

Quote:
C. s. saturatus Blyth, 1843 Himalayan Cuckoo Kashmir through S Himalayas, Assam, N & E Myanmar (including Shan States) and Thailand to S China and Taiwan; winters from S Thailand, Peninsular Malaysia and Philippines S to Lesser Sundas and New Guinea.
Old Sunday 20th August 2017, 01:36   #6
viator

Hi, would think quite a few NE India species make it to to Sumatra on purpose and additional vagrants that normally stop in Thailand occasionally overshoot.

Square-tailed Drongo-Cuckoo, Indian Pond Heron, Himalayan Swiftlet would be fine for Sumatra. Suspect harder to find examples that go to Borneo.
Last Lifer: Beaudouin's Snake Eagle (#3795, Jun 22, '18)
Top 3 Countries: Indonesia (680), Thailand (576), China (568)
Last 2018 Bird: Banded Bay Cuckoo (#757, Aug 1)
www.viatorphoto.com/wildlife_galleries/birds
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: