• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few more from Southern Greece (1 Viewer)

Deb335077

Please help with a few more from Southern Greece

1 not sure which Buzzard
2 thought a wheatear but not sure which
3 I thought a Zitting Cisticola

Thanks Debbie

Attachments

• A96A5B88-974C-4D48-86FF-D03EE346CF3B.jpg
    A96A5B88-974C-4D48-86FF-D03EE346CF3B.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 157
  • D6EC9CF7-4252-4E3F-A26E-EF922F7124E7.jpeg
    D6EC9CF7-4252-4E3F-A26E-EF922F7124E7.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 167
  • CB0259D5-29BA-41A2-80F5-B4572817D6F6.jpg
    CB0259D5-29BA-41A2-80F5-B4572817D6F6.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 114
Difficult from this angle, without seeing wings and tail but dark lores an rather brownish wing feathers look better for Isabelline Wheatear IMO.

It’s not the easiest angle indeed but I would call it a Northern.
I am sure Roland remember the last Izzy/Northern from Greece that prompted a good debate last year. One of the feature highlighted at the time was the prominent broad pale fringes to the covers (to the point that the feathers centers are concealed) Izzy show in fresh plumage.
On this bird, the alula isn’t particularly blacker than the center of the greater coverts.
Note also the face pattern with a bulging supercilium above the eye and indistinct fore-supercilium, a typical Northern pattern, likewise the ear-coverts appear slightly darker than the throat.

It’s not the easiest angle indeed but I would call it a Northern.
I am sure Roland remember the last Izzy/Northern from Greece that prompted a good debate last year. One of the feature highlighted at the time was the prominent broad pale fringes to the covers (to the point that the feathers centers are concealed) Izzy show in fresh plumage.
On this bird, the alula isn’t particularly blacker than the center of the greater coverts.
Note also the face pattern with a bulging supercilium above the eye and indistinct fore-supercilium, a typical Northern pattern, likewise the ear-coverts appear slightly darker than the throat.

Yes I remember. And I also remember that you are right usually - as in this case. It was a quick look (still happens after so many years :-C) and as I look again now I have to agree the alula doesn't look black enough and the fringes of the coverts not broad enough.

these photo's were taken in the same place and a couple of days later if this is any help

Attachments

• 105A8089 wheatear.jpg
    105A8089 wheatear.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 105A8080 wheatear.jpg
    105A8080 wheatear.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 22
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back