• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Here we go again: cooper's or sharp-shinned hawk? USA (1 Viewer)

nartreb

Speak softly and carry a long lens
This bird was photographed in 2012. I initially misidentified it as a broad-wing, then became firmly convinced it was a juvenile sharp-shin, but now I think it's more likely to be a juvenile Cooper's.

I have a few more photos, including some side views, but I don't think they add any useful info. In particular, there are no better views of the tail.

edit: added one of the side views anyway, since some of you seem to be able to differentiate on the basis of head size relative to body

Attachments

• hawk.JPG
    hawk.JPG
    506.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_2827_1500.JPG
    IMG_2827_1500.JPG
    606.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2832_1600.JPG
    IMG_2832_1600.JPG
    475.2 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Even though the 2nd photo may be misleading with the tail, where it appears "rounded", you can see in photo #3 that when the bird takes off, the tail-feathers are evenly lengthed from a profile view.

That plus the legs, "cute" look, and projecting 'wrists' in 3rd photo as it takes off. Certainly a Sharpie.

Cooper or sharp-shinned Redux

One of life's unending mysteries.

I too had a similar dilemma with the attached bird. Cooper's or sharp-shinned.

My guess was sharp-shinned because it was in a forested area, and I read that cooper's prefer more open spaces and sharp-shinned preferred more forested areas.

I could be wrong, and am open to rebuttal.

Attachments

• hawk.jpg
    hawk.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 74
One of life's unending mysteries.

I too had a similar dilemma with the attached bird. Cooper's or sharp-shinned.

My guess was sharp-shinned because it was in a forested area, and I read that cooper's prefer more open spaces and sharp-shinned preferred more forested areas.

I could be wrong, and am open to rebuttal.

RE: Armadillo's bird - my vote is Sharpie here, too. Thin legs, more hooded look than capped (no pale nape). Seeing the tail would help if you have other shots, but that's what I get from this one.

This is a juvenile Cooper's Hawk, as discerned by the hooded look, the lack of any reddish barring below, and the forward-placed eyes.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back