• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Diamondback HD 8x28 (new 2018 ver.) - question about the focus wheel... (1 Viewer)

Pacci

Argentina
Hello to all the members. I've spent a lot of time alone as a reader, this is my first intervention writing.

Recently, I have purchased two new units of the Vortex Diamondback HD 8x28 (the latest version released in 2018). I bought two units, one for me and one for my sister. As I mentioned before, the binoculars are new, their boxes were sealed with a factory plastic.

The binoculars are great, they look very well built for their price, and optically they have a very good performance.

The problem I have is with the focus wheel, although mechanically it seems to work well, it turns well, but when it turns it makes a small annoying noise, something like: "crik-crik-crik". This happens with both binoculars, exactly the same.

Any suggestions? Does the same thing happen to someone else? It seems to be an endemic problem of this binocular model since I have two units and both with the same problem, this leads me to think that if I ask for a change, I would most likely have the same problem in the replacement units.

Thank you for reading. I hope you can help me.

I add one more question. Does anyone know if this noise in the focus wheel also occurs in the 32mm lens? Especially in the 8x32. I am referring to the 2018 version. Thank you.

Pacci,

I was holding back because I couldn't remember what the focus on the 8x28 was like. I quite liked the 8x32. I can't say I remember any crik-crik sound, but it wasn't smooth like the pricier Viper HD. More a slightly rough, dragging plastic feel. However there was no backlash or unevenness so fine for the price for me. Keep in mind, even top of the range Swarovski's have had their share of rough focus problems.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back