• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orlando area bird photography (1 Viewer)

Eos9

United Kingdom
I will be dropping a friend off at the Florida mall hotel ( Orlando ) later in November and will have the day free for some bird photography before picking them up once again later in the day.
Not knowing the area or distances to suitable sites etc I would therefore appreciate any suggestions or advice concerning suitable sites where I can spend a good few hours on bird photography without having to travel too far from Orlando.
Your help is much appreciated.

I will be dropping a friend off at the Florida mall hotel ( Orlando ) later in November and will have the day free for some bird photography before picking them up once again later in the day.
Not knowing the area or distances to suitable sites etc I would therefore appreciate any suggestions or advice concerning suitable sites where I can spend a good few hours on bird photography without having to travel too far from Orlando.
Your help is much appreciated.

Gatorland is not far from the Florida Mall and is supposed to be good for photography.

http://www.gatorland.com/blogs/rookery

Yes I must admit Merrit island was already on my list of places to visit tho not until a little later on.
I will be driving from Sarasota that day and not being sure of distances etc didn't really want to travel too much further then Orlando itself as it will make for a much longer drive home in the evening.
I've read many good thing about Merrit island but perhaps you may be able to advise of the best place for photography on the island especially if I only have limited time on that day.

I would attempt photography from your vehicle and would recomend the Shiloh Marsh road on Merrit Island and the nearby Viera Wetlands reserve. Both we good areas for photography when visted in Late October 2007.

Regards
Robin

Ok - have taken note and will give it a try. I hope to visit Merrit island in my second week when hopefully I will have a little more time to explore the area and do it justice.

I would attempt photography from your vehicle and would recomend the Shiloh Marsh road on Merrit Island and the nearby Viera Wetlands reserve. Both we good areas for photography when visted in Late October 2007.

Regards
Robin

Merrit Island is much more an hour from the Florida Mall and Viera Wetlands are not "nearby"...

You'll waste the whole day driving if you're not careful and it's dark at 6 pm.

Yes I suspected as much and that's really why I was trying to find any good area's around Orlando so my time was spent behind the camera and not all day behind the wheel. I would imagine their must be a park / lake etc nearby that would suit the bill for a few hours.

Yes I suspected as much and that's really why I was trying to find any good area's around Orlando so my time was spent behind the camera and not all day behind the wheel. I would imagine their must be a park / lake etc nearby that would suit the bill for a few hours.

I would recommend Mead Gardens in Orlando. Excellent for woodland species and there's plenty of ponds and streams to see a good collection of wildfowl.

Another excellent location is Orlando Wetlands Park, although this is a little out of town - much closer than Merritt or Viera though.

If you do get to Merritt I would strongly recommend the BlackPoint wildlife drive.

good luck
Kevin

I would recommend Mead Gardens in Orlando. Excellent for woodland species and there's plenty of ponds and streams to see a good collection of wildfowl.

Another excellent location is Orlando Wetlands Park, although this is a little out of town - much closer than Merritt or Viera though.

If you do get to Merritt I would strongly recommend the BlackPoint wildlife drive.

good luck
Kevin

Not really the time of year for Mead Gardens, but it is a pleasant location and is just off Interstate 4.
Orlando Wetlands Park is closed between November 15 and February 1.
Still think Gatorland would be a good bet.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back