• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser/Greater Scaup - western South Dakota (1 Viewer)

veagle

I saw 3 Scaup yesterday near Wall, SD. Lesser are much more common around here, but I have seen Greater Scaup a few weeks ago. These were the best pictures I got. What do you think?

Veagle

Attachments

• P1000685_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    P1000685_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    127 KB · Views: 156
  • P1000686_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    P1000686_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 131
Gtr Scaup. on bulk, back/flank contrast ( or lack of it) and head shape, although the first photo appears to have a small crest that may just be displaced feathers. Was it windy at the time?
Chris

Gtr Scaup. on bulk, back/flank contrast ( or lack of it) and head shape, although the first photo appears to have a small crest that may just be displaced feathers. Was it windy at the time?
Chris

Very light wind, nothing too serious (particularly given the normal windy conditions out here)

IMO, I don't think it possible to nail down an ID based on these photo's, and there isn't another bird adjacent for reference to judge bulk, etc.

IMO, I don't think it possible to nail down an ID based on these photo's, and there isn't another bird adjacent for reference to judge bulk, etc.

fair enough. I realize the pictures aren't very good. I'm in the process of lobbying for a megazoom for the holidays.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back