• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Porro Prism restore (1 Viewer)

bruno28

Porro Prism Chipped/Cracked

Hello

I was given a micro binocular and wanted to restore it as it's lost paint and had some specs of dirt inside.

One side is not focusing far, but focuses close very well. The other focuses far perfectly.

Upon looking at it I noticed a small darkness on one corner of the left eye piece. I opened it up carefully and noticed the porro prism as a small chip/crack that is able to fit back into its location as its 90% in one piece. Is it possible to repair this? Glue it back or get a new prism?

I want to make this binoculars work again.

Thanks for any advice.

1c03c9d9ac33b4a5e3a5c05135d362a0.jpg
a755c53716fc04838bbde7b00250492d.jpg
b0cb07ed19243a56dcd16b5007927f9c.jpg
099dd54ac7c4ca969932933a0f18b5f6.jpg

Last edited:
It is probably better to leave the 90% prism as is.
I don't think you could get the 10% piece perfectly aligned unless the break is such that it has an exact position when attached to the 90%.
This binocular was probably dropped.

I had a 10x70 Ross monocular that I dropped on ice covered granite.
Only 2/3rds of the view remained because of a badly damaged prism, but I used the monocular like this for years.

B.

Last edited:
I will try to glue with Loctite Glass Glue.
I managed to sort the focusing issue on it. Its almost perfect with exception of the prism. Someone did play with it as the objective was incorrect direction. I flipped it and it worked perfectly.
Some other signs of it being tempered with.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I will try to glue with Loctite Glass Glue.
I managed to sort the focusing issue on it. Its almost perfect with exception of the prism. Someone did play with it as the objective was incorrect direction. I flipped it and it worked perfectly.
Some other signs of it being tempered with.

I agree with Binastro. But three things to consider.

1. Those prisms are not that hard to find.
2. If you are going to use the original prism, blacken the chip with paint or two coats of a thick black marker.
3. How do you propose to get it aligned? :cat:

Bill

Where can I find those prisms? I would be interested in swapping them if possible.

If you measure the prism carefully, length; breadth and height, I might have a replacement for you.
Ill have to measure once I settle down as I'm in middle of moving places. Then I can let you know.
Are these prisms easy to find? Where could I find them? Is there a specific website?

Thanks.

I have one that is close.
28x11.6x13.5
Do oyu want to try it?
Cost of post to you only

Thanks Richard,
that would be great. But since one is not the exact same size as the other, does it mean i would need to change both sides (left and right) or just changing one prism shouldn't affect?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back