• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ground-loving dragonflies, western Kenya, October (1 Viewer)

grmanners

Grateful for any assistance with ID of following individuals.

I suspect these represent a single species, with the bluish ones being the males, but I could be wrong.

Thanks

Guy

Attachments

• Dragon-1 2019-09-26 Mbita Point.jpg
    Dragon-1 2019-09-26 Mbita Point.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • Dragon-2 2019-09-26 Mbita Point.jpg
    Dragon-2 2019-09-26 Mbita Point.jpg
    962.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Dragon-3A 2019-09-26 Mbita Point.jpg
    Dragon-3A 2019-09-26 Mbita Point.jpg
    796.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Dragon-3B 2019-09-26 Mbita Point.jpg
    Dragon-3B 2019-09-26 Mbita Point.jpg
    818.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Dragon-4 2019-09-26 Mbita Point.jpg
    Dragon-4 2019-09-26 Mbita Point.jpg
    649 KB · Views: 10
Part 2

More images...

Attachments

• Dragon-5 2019-09-26 Mbita Point.jpg
    Dragon-5 2019-09-26 Mbita Point.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • Dragon-6 2019-09-26 Mbita Point.jpg
    Dragon-6 2019-09-26 Mbita Point.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
They are either Brachythemis leucosticta (Southern Banded Groundling) or Brachythemis impartita (Northern Banded Groundling)

The first two are females and the others are males - the darker ones being older.

In the paper separating the species Dijkstra & Matushkina write "None of the male characters applied well to females and no reliable distinction for that sex was found"... so we'll have to ignore the females.

In the last male pic the veins behind the pterostigma are certainly dark - as are the veins in all the other males as far as I can see. This is a pro leucosticta feature. However the borders of the pterostigma in the penultimate image aappear pale proximally (i.e. nearer the wing band) which is a pro impartita feature.

I have zero field experience of leucosticta so don't have any of my own photos I can use for comparison.

I would suggest e-mailing the images to KD Dijkstra (KD.Dijkstra AT naturalis.nl) together with the location information and I'm sure he'll ID them for you - he has always been helpful.

Attached the image of the two species in the Dijkstra & Matushkina paper

Attachments

• wings.JPG
    wings.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 8
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back