• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (1 Viewer)

Jays jays jays all day every day. 4 so far this morning. Its cool because I had never seen one before this year now all of a sudden they are as common as the blackbirds that show up. The feeders seem to have become super active since the hawthorn trees have been emptied. Great tits mostly but also a blue. Collared dove, dunnock and chaffinch also feeding on the ground.

1st ever woodpecker about 20 minuts ago, Great spotted.. had a silver ring on its leg.

Lately, it's been an all-day crow party round my feeder: I got a new kind of suet, and they absolutely LOVE it. Crows are not quite what I'd been hoping to attract, though. That suet was for the northern flickers!

I did get a house finch this morning, though. Haven't seen one of those, in a while.

Also, I recently had an overflight by a great blue heron! It didn't stop--I can't imagine such a bird would have much use for feeders--but I was nonetheless pleased to see it.

Attachments

• finch_enjoying_suet_snacks.jpg
    finch_enjoying_suet_snacks.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 53
  • cling_crows.jpg
    cling_crows.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 54
  • rumpled_herons.jpg
    rumpled_herons.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 49
A couple of Redwings and Mistle Thrushes arguing over the last of the Holly berries yday. Just put out my feeders et al as of today so looking forward to the return of all my regulars.

Buzzard swooped down into the field behind the garden this morning. 60 seconds later the big cat appeared at the window with a shrew.

Wonder if Wicca stole the buzzard's catch ? :king:

And currently 3 collared doves on the bird table, think one is a youngster.

Elsewhere, 15,000 sparrows are attacking the feeders.

Not Busy at Our Feeders

Our feeders have been unusually quiet for weeks. Perhaps our new neighbor (see photo) is to blame.
Jeff

Attachments

• DSC04851.jpg
    DSC04851.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 48
18 collared doves, bullfinch (male) 24 goldfinches, 12 greenfinches, great and blue tits,house sparrows were the highlights this morning

After my first Great Spotted woodpecker the other day I have just seen a Green Woodpecker poking at the floor.

All day long has been around 5 collared doves about 12 Chaffinch and 1 solitary dunnock. The endless Blackbird/Tit numbers also and the 2 jays that have been coming everyday for over a week now.

Nearly forgot the noisy little wren! :t:

I guess everyone is hungry this week.

Lots of activity here too, mainly the Coal Tits caching away more than they could ever eat.

Christmas is coming up and I'm being hounded to think of a present list, so I thought the birds could do with a new sunflower heart feeder. Any recommendations of easy to clean, squirrel-proof caged feeders?

I've had 3 dead birds in the past 2 months...1 in my bird bath. I am concerned not keeping everything clean enough.
This is from audobon's web site:

"Disinfect your feeder and birdbath: To keep pathogens at bay, immerse your seed feeder or birdbath in a nine to one water-bleach solution, rinsing it thoroughly, one to two times per month (for tips on cleaning hummingbird feeders, click here). In the presence of outbreaks, disinfect twice as often.
Empty water from your birdbath every day: Brush or wipe it clean and rinse, then refill the birdbath with fresh water.
Discard old seed and hulls: When you clean your feeder, get rid of the old seed. Rake or sweep up any uneaten hulls on the ground. The disease-causing Trichomonad protozoan, for example, can live for up to five days in food and several hours in water.
Avoid overcrowding: If possible, provide more than one feeder and spread them out. Crowding only expedites the spread of disease, so give the birds variety and plenty of room."
..... However there is no way I could even come close th this schedule, these groups always seems to be overboard. I would have to take my feeding station down first. I am not retired. Anyway, what does everyone Else do to maintain sanitary conditions?

I clean my feeder and disinfect the railing where birds like to perch on Saturday mornings--it takes less than an hour, unless crows have poked suet into the gaps in the railing with their beaks. (I don't know why they do that, but they do, and it's a pain and a half to clean up.) So far, I haven't had any dead birds on my balcony. I had a sparrow I THOUGHT was dead, a while ago, but it was just sleeping, and very dirty. When it woke up, it started digging in the windowboxes with its beak, which I imagine was how it got so dirty.

If you have a whole lot of feeders, you could probably clean them all at the same time, if you have a large enough sink, like a laundry sink.

Hello guys been a while since I've been online! Garden is now very busy as we approach Winter! Had our first real frost yesterday, and to my amazement we enticed a female GSW on to the suet feeder, first one for this garden! Amazingly, a male showed up today, and I was able to grab a quick picture (through the window), I'm hoping they return as there is a cemetery nearby, fingers crossed!

Attachments

• woodpecker002.jpg
    woodpecker002.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 74

Users who are viewing this thread

Back