• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

query birds Mallorca last may .... (1 Viewer)

yew

First photo is a Black headed bunting or something like that I think. The second two photos of same bird had a very long tail and didnt seem quite right at all for me for Great Tit.
The fourth looked a bit like an unusual Wren at first to me but not sure and last I think is a Meadow Pipit ....... Maybe somone will correctly identify please. I also saw and heard heaps of Cirl buntings but heartbroken I did not manage any sort of photo but hopefully will do next year.

Attachments

• Mallorca may 390.jpg
    Mallorca may 390.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 243
  • Mallorca may 174.jpg
    Mallorca may 174.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 171
  • Mallorca may 175.jpg
    Mallorca may 175.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 126
  • Mallorca may 273.jpg
    Mallorca may 273.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 203
  • Mallorca may 417.jpg
    Mallorca may 417.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 222
thanks but could it be Tree sparrow at all as all of head so dark and can see auborn brown, I could see the chest soft yellow but perhaps Sparrows can be sometimes. I see what you mean by juvenile blackbird but the bird had very pale ferny green on chest on it and rest all pale fawny so again odd coloured one. I did think Great Tit but again not indentical to our ones ....
Again thanks.

I suspect that due to the angle you can't see the grey crown on the Sparrow and also Tree Sparrows only have a very small black patch on the chin compared to a large black bib on this bird which makes it a house.

Blackbirds can be extremely variable in colour and I've seen paler birds here in the UK before.

Can't see anything wrong with the Great Tit

anyway a few more to identify.......... the first photo is of same bird as last two I think though just different bird in another location. Think Spotted Flycatcher is the second and third .....

Attachments

• Mallorca may 011.jpg
    Mallorca may 011.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 128
  • Mallorca may 296.jpg
    Mallorca may 296.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Mallorca may 297.jpg
    Mallorca may 297.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Mallorca may 463.jpg
    Mallorca may 463.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Mallorca may 466.jpg
    Mallorca may 466.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 88
anyway a few more to identify.......... the first photo is of same bird as last two I think though just different bird in another location. Think Spotted Flycatcher is the second and third .....

They are all Spotted Flycatchers.

Thanks and few more again ...... not great photos. I saw a pink bird and then got close and thought female pinky Sparrow ...... I showed photos of Corn buntings before and think one here too and last three same bird (I think) .......

Attachments

• Mallorca may 216.jpg
    Mallorca may 216.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 191
  • Mallorca may 064.jpg
    Mallorca may 064.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 165
  • Mallorca may 043.jpg
    Mallorca may 043.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 150
  • Mallorca may 048.jpg
    Mallorca may 048.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 117
  • Mallorca may 049.jpg
    Mallorca may 049.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 132
I could hear Sedge warblers in those trees and think thats what the last three photos are of ...... but they move that quickly that I could have got something else.

the pinky bird is a female sparrow (don't know what species they get on the Balearics) with something red reflected on it. Next is a young stonechat. The last three look like sardinian warbler (if they are the same bird - the first pic looks like one)

Thanks again and your wildlife paintings are really stunning (hope the right person). The Sparrows seemed to be drinking water from the pools or more likely to have been bathing perhaps and they are so tame its unbelievable. I have watched them eat crumbs out of peoples hands, my granchild was stunned at them landing on the table and wary of them. Pinky sparrow taken at the side of a plaza, cant recall if anything about causing the colour and could have been. No idea whats in the cages .....but not wild I dont think.

Attachments

• Mallorca may 364.jpg
    Mallorca may 364.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Mallorca may 349.jpg
    Mallorca may 349.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Mallorca may 358.jpg
    Mallorca may 358.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 47
  • Mallorca may 129.jpg
    Mallorca may 129.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 55
Am I the only one who thinks that the pinkish bird looks more Chaffinchy? I might retract this comment in the next thirty seconds.

Well there were Sparrows about everywhere especially female and to me it did not look Sparrow and reason I went across the plaza to look at it ...... actually pink streaky bird close up. Unfortunately did not stay and lucky to get one photo even. Thinking back there was just a whole open plaza facing it and sun only and photo has no colour or effects added whatsover.

Next is a young stonechat.

I'm not so sure on this one, Nick. It is a chat, obviously, but there's something not quite right structurally for Stonechat, for me. I've never seen a juvenile Black-eared Wheatear but looking at the BWPi illustration it would seem to fit.

I could hear Sedge warblers in those trees and think thats what the last three photos are of ...... but they move that quickly that I could have got something else.

They won't have been sedge warblers in that habitat. Sardinian warblers (which is what this bird is, as Nick says) have a scratchy song that might sound superficially similar.

Just seeing now ...... in same pine trees all along the sea I heard the really scratchy sounds and saw heaps of very small slithering birds which I thought sounded like Sedge warblers. Is that possible or again something similar. I now do not recall the sound of those birds photographed in pine tree in woods and think the first one probably is a different bird as lot of birds about. There were sounds I hadnt a clue about. I looked at photos of juvenile Wheaters and to me that is what is in that photo or very similar.
I think first three here I was told Sardinian warblers but to me as big as sparrows and couldnt have been the very small scatchy sounding birds all along the sea. It was like a violin out of tune totally. I have one more photo think of last bird which was one of the most stunning beautiful birds I think you could ever see but it stayed only seconds in each place and very jittery compared to ordinary looking Stonechats. Thanks for help everyone and hope to know a bit more for next April.

Attachments

• Mallorca may 075.jpg
    Mallorca may 075.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Mallorca may 074.jpg
    Mallorca may 074.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 84
  • Mallorca may 015.jpg
    Mallorca may 015.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Mallorca may 040.jpg
    Mallorca may 040.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Mallorca may 079.jpg
    Mallorca may 079.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I think I was told Yellow legged gull and there was three juveniles ...... she stood calling them out of cave for ages before they decided to finally appear. I watched as puzzled at her calling. They appeared slowly one by one like gorgeous balls of fluff still with spotted heads, yet the biggest one was trying to fly and the littliest one soon returned into the safety of the cave home and didnt seem that interested yet in the big world. A truly beautiful sight.

Attachments

• Mallorca may 038.jpg
    Mallorca may 038.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 54
  • Mallorca may 124.jpg
    Mallorca may 124.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Mallorca may 122.jpg
    Mallorca may 122.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Mallorca may 127.jpg
    Mallorca may 127.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Mallorca may 118.jpg
    Mallorca may 118.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 41
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back