• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Hoverfly Thread (3 Viewers)

Evening,

I have attached two images of a Heliophilus hoverfly species of which I can not decide is H. hybridus or H. pendulus. Any ideas please?

Regards,
Andrew.

Attachments

• Hoverfly  BF 02.JPG
    Hoverfly BF 02.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Hoverfly  BF 01.JPG
    Hoverfly BF 01.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 79
Morning,

Me again! Three more images attached of a hoverfly from Ashclyst Woods in Devon near Exeter which is a mixed broadleaved woodland with rides and glades. I think this one might be Brachypalpoides lentus. Is that a good conclusion?

Regards,
Andrew.

Attachments

• Brachypalpoides 01.JPG
    Brachypalpoides 01.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Brachypalpoides 02.JPG
    Brachypalpoides 02.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Brachypalpoides 03.JPG
    Brachypalpoides 03.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 74
Morning again,

One more from Ashclyst Woods last week. The black lateral lines on the tergite edges give me this as Rhingia campestris. Yes or no?

Thanks,
Andrew.

Attachments

• RHINGIA BF02.JPG
    RHINGIA BF02.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 82
  • RHINGIA BF03.JPG
    RHINGIA BF03.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 83
Morning,

Me again! Three more images attached of a hoverfly from Ashclyst Woods in Devon near Exeter which is a mixed broadleaved woodland with rides and glades. I think this one might be Brachypalpoides lentus. Is that a good conclusion?

Regards,
Andrew.

correct

Evening Dave,

Thanks for the two confirmations. Any ideas on the Heliophilus species or is that a hard one from the images supplied?

Regards,
Andrew.

Morning,

Attached is a poor image of a Hoverfly species seen at Bystock Pools in Devon on Sunday which is a marshy cum woody pebble-bed heath habitat. It is the only one I managed to get.

Is it possibly Criorhina berberina or one that has to be binned from the 'in-tray'?

Cheers,
Andrew.

Attachments

• Bee Mimic BF02.JPG
    Bee Mimic BF02.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 85
Morning,

Attached is a poor image of a Hoverfly species seen at Bystock Pools in Devon on Sunday which is a marshy cum woody pebble-bed heath habitat. It is the only one I managed to get.

Is it possibly Criorhina berberina or one that has to be binned from the 'in-tray'?

Cheers,
Andrew.

it is

Hello,

This hoverfly was hard to photograph at rest so I tried some flight shots and nailed it enough to think I have it down as Xanthogramma pedissequum. Yes or no?

Cheers,
Andrew.

Attachments

• Hoverfly 01 WEB .JPG
    Hoverfly 01 WEB .JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Hoverfly 02 WEB .JPG
    Hoverfly 02 WEB .JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 80
Hello,

I have attached two poor images of a hoverfly species seen at Orcombe Point near Exmouth on Monday. Even with the distinctive appearance and wings I am stumped as to what it could be so is anyone able to help me out with this one please?

Regards,
Andrew.

Attachments

• Hoverfly Species 01 WEB .JPG
    Hoverfly Species 01 WEB .JPG
    223.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Hoverfly Species 02 WEB .JPG
    Hoverfly Species 02 WEB .JPG
    233 KB · Views: 81
Hello,

I have attached two poor images of a hoverfly species seen at Orcombe Point near Exmouth on Monday. Even with the distinctive appearance and wings I am stumped as to what it could be so is anyone able to help me out with this one please?

Regards,
Andrew.

Leucozona lucorum, melanic

Evening,

Attached are three poor images of a hoverfly species from the Grand Western Canal in Devon back on Friday afternoon. After careful squinting at the images, I think this could be a Meliscaeva auricollis. Any opinions would be highly appreciated on this one.

Thanks,
Andrew.

Attachments

• Canal Hoverflies 01.JPG
    Canal Hoverflies 01.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Canal Hoverflies 02.JPG
    Canal Hoverflies 02.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Canal Hoverflies 03.JPG
    Canal Hoverflies 03.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 66
Hello again,

Another one from the canal, regrettably the only image I got so no views of the hind femur. Could this be a good one for Syrphus ribesii though?

Regards,
Andrew.

Attachments

• Canal Hoverflies 04.JPG
    Canal Hoverflies 04.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 74
Evening,

Attached are three poor images of a hoverfly species from the Grand Western Canal in Devon back on Friday afternoon. After careful squinting at the images, I think this could be a Meliscaeva auricollis. Any opinions would be highly appreciated on this one.

Thanks,
Andrew.

miles out! Syritta pipiens

Users who are viewing this thread

Back