• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Admiral manufacturer? (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
We have a trading company here in Switzerland that is well known for selling decent, yet relatively cheap optics, in particular binoculars. They run under the trade name Admiral. I wonder whether anybody might be able to at least guess on the manufacturer. I think the models come from China. Attached is a picture of the cheapest mid size model. It runs under the name Admiral 8x32 ED DFC Milan. They also have x42 versions of the same Milan type (8x42 and 10x42), but no 10x32. The Milan name is also used for rather different types sold under the name Dörr, but not sold by the same trading company. The attached Dörr model comes as a 8x34 size with the complete designation Dörr 8x34 Milan XP. There are many more all with the XP in the name. ED, I know what it is supposed to mean (I just wonder how much ED quality might be possible in such a relatively cheap model). But what does the XP stand for?

Both models are supposedly nitrogen filled, waterproof, and come with BAK-4 prisms and fully coated optics.

I'm only looking for something for my attic windows, so don't want to spend a fortune. There are enough alpha models in the house, but not normally in the attic. For years I had an original Leica Trinovid 10x40 from 1976 up there. But the view got so bad that I wanted to get rid of it.

Attachments

• Adm600090_gr[1].jpg
    Adm600090_gr[1].jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Dörr imp_1_180755.jpg
    Dörr imp_1_180755.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 47
The trading company you are referring to is GMC, and they are the importer into Switzerland for some really good brands such as Kenko and Kowa (I am sure you know that).

Their binocular portfolio is constantly changing. I few years ago, I purchased the Admiral Bernina (still being sold by GMC), their top binocular, which is in almost every respect quite a good binocular, except for the modest field of view. The Bernina was made in Japan, and I suspect by Kamakura. But it is well possible that GMC now also sources from China. Overall, the GMC binoculars seem to represent quite good value for money.

I have the Admiral Bernina still in my collection (https://binocular.ch/gmc-admiral-bernina-8x42/)

Canip

Last edited:
QC "demo"

...............Admiral 8x32 ED DFC Milan. They also have x42 versions of the same Milan type (8x42 and 10x42), ………...

Today, I bought the 8x42 instead of the 8x32: My local dealer had one each of the "Milan ED" models that I could look through. The two x42 versions were already there two weeks ago when I first inquired. And it was the 8x42 one that had then convinced me instantly. But I was actually looking for the smaller model. Well, today, all three were available for comparative testing. And if nothing else, I realized that I had a very instructive demonstration of variable quality due to the obviously insufficient quality control - typical for cheap models. The 8x32 that I had actually been waiting for was nicely compact, but the left barrel must have been suboptimal. Though I could not detect any faults, I had a hard time getting that side in focus. Mostly, it was just not quite sharp or there was a double picture. Since I need trifocal eyeglasses, it was often a question whether the problem was with my placement of the eye, but it was always just the left one. Going to the x42 versions, I again felt instantly comfortable with the 8x model, whereas the 10x was somehow less convincing (same as on my first visit). So there was no question that i would buy the 8x42 one. But it also made me aware that - at least for cheaper models - one needs to actually try the particular one one buys. Living a bit in the countryside, the temptation to buy via the internet has often been there, and also often from abroad due to our generally steeper Swiss prices. But it's obvious that one runs a risk, particularly for the low priced versions.

Anyway, the one I have now is a real joy, ease of view is not far from my standard Zeiss 8x42 FL. With similar instantaneous comfort when looking through. So it's mainly in the details that the Zeiss excels, such as being brighter and more "contrasty" and having a somewhat wider FOV (405 ft vs 368/1000 yards). Also, glare control is better with the FL. But edge distortion is actually slightly better in the "Milan", and it comes with a tripod mounting possibility. Over all the two models definitely would not seem that far apart in optical quality as the price suggests. I'd find it hard to say the Zeiss is 8 times better. But comparing my 10x42 FL with the "Milan ED" in 10x42, the price difference would certainly fit, same, and even more so, comparing my 8x32 FL with the Milan 8x32. So, it's obvious, one needs a "cherry" to get into the alpha range the cheap way.

One final remark: looking at the attached picture, it is obvious that this model is long, actually a bit longer that the x42 FL models. But in this case, there are ordinary SP prisms.

Attachments

• Admira Milan ED x42 Adm600093_gr.jpg
    Admira Milan ED x42 Adm600093_gr.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Andy (post #3),

I don‘t. I once almost bought one but then let it go since it was not in as good a condition as I had hoped.

So this is still on the „to get list“ ;)
Canip

……...
So this is still on the „to get list“ ;)
Canip

I presume the Kern 7x50 falls into the same category? When I was a teenager, I admired it a lot, but only much later learned that it was not as great as it looked. I think it was Henry Link who provided that insight.

Canip,

Why be sorry, I should have said your collection is extensive and additionally the website is very well done, excellent actually, I have it book marked.

Swissboy,

Thanks for the info on the Admiral/Milan model, sometimes there is a surprise with a lower price tag.

Andy W.

Potential cherry BW20s from other brands?

I found the manufacturer number for this series at another Swiss outlet, and it corresponds with the one by United Optics. (Manufacturer Part Number (MPN):BW20-0842ED) :eat:

As we now know that the ED Milan can (occasionally) come up with a cherry, it would seem obvious that other brands based on the same BW20 types might as well. Of course always under the condition that particularly good ones are not sorted out to be sold separately at a higher price. But if that should happen, we'd be back at the more serious quality control level.

So which are the potential candidates? I mean which other trade brand models are based on the BW20?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back