• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eponyms and other names in North American journals (1 Viewer)

Tyrannus chubbii Davis 1979

I don't find the actual thing, but Vuilleumier & Mayr, 1987 noted about it:
Tyrannus chubbii Davis, 1979, Pan American Studies, 2 (1) : 39 -- no type locality given.
= Tyrannus melancholicus (Bd).
Although called a "new species" by DAVIS (op. cit.) this taxon is no more than a new name for T. satrapa, the name used by CHUBB (The Birds of British Guiana, Vol. 2, 1921) for a bird from British Guiana (= Guayana). DAVIS (op. cit.) did not give diagnostic characters and did not designate a type specimen, although he described CHUBBS's cited specimen. DAVIS (op. cit.) stated that the use of satrapa for this kingbird was incorrect and that "Accordingly, I will provide a name for Chubb's 'Lesser Yellow-breasted Kingbird' for the benefit of our Field Students." T. chubbi has no nomenclatural validity, and the name must remain in the synonymy of T. melancholicus. Once again we deplore the practice of some ornithologists of naming putative new species without any regard for the rules of zoological nomenclature or for the basic rules of evolutionary biology, and also for publishing such "descriptions" in journals so obscure that they are extremely difficult to obtain, even for authors like ourselves, who have the advantage of superb library facilities at our disposal.
Given the above, the name refers to Charles Chubb (31 December 1851 – 25 June 1924), British ornithologist, author of The birds of British Guiana, the second volume of which appeared in 1921. His obituary, published in Ibis, is freely accessible [here] (p.780-782).
Not sure why, but this one didn't make it into the key. Is there something that I'm overlooking?

Last edited:
So what´s left of James's list (in post #1):Not much!
●Contributions from the Institute for Regional Exploration. Ann Arbor, Mich.
1954 Bambusicola fytchii rincheni Koelz, 1, pp. 1+
1954 Gallus sonneratii wangyeli Koelz, 1, pp. 1+
1954 Suthora poliotis patriciae Koelz, 1, p. 2
1954 Alseonax muttui khosrovi Koelz, 1, p. 14*
1954 Dicrurus macrocercus tsipi Koelz, 1, p. 15*
1954 Aethopyga gouldiae melittae Koelz, 1, p. 21

...is still unseen. (We have only explained two of the names based on later publications of the same author.)

●Contributions from the Institute for Regional Exploration. Ann Arbor, Mich.
[...]
...is still unseen. (We have only explained two of the names based on later publications of the same author.)
Maybe so, at least here, but there´s nothing in today's HBW Alive Key indicating that those OD's are still unseen. I simply assumed James had found them himself, without informing us here in this thread.

If he did is unknown to me.
--

Last edited:
Maybe so, at least here, but there´s nothing in today's HBW Alive Key indicating that those OD's are still unseen. I simply assumed James had found them himself, without informing us here in this thread.

If he did is unknown to me.
Correct -- I should have checked the key itself indeed, but didn't. James received the ODs from Mark, it seems.

BTW, scotti and chubbi are now updated. :t:
(And a Merry Christmas to all.)

Last edited:
Well ... I think that´s it, for the missing Eponyms and other names in North American journals. A fitting Seasonal gift. Wrapped and done! Yet another true team effort.

I assume we have to look for the answers of the few still unexplained ones elsewhere.

If found; don´t hesitate to keep this thread cooking!

Merry Christmas!

I assume Vincent Danis with an Orbituary in L'Oiseau et la revue française d'ornithologie 1945 is no option for danisa as I see as well no relationship to Oberholser.
Danis (Vincent), Boursier de recherche au Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle, né en 1915, mort au Champ d'Honneur, en Tunisie, le 24 mars 1943. Un goût inné pour toutes les choses de la nature désignait V. Danis, dès sa première jeunesse, pour devenir un naturaliste de qualité. Tout en poursuivant ses études classiques, puis ses études supérieures, où il avait acquis brillamment son diplôme de licencié ès-sciences, il n'avait cessé de fréquenter assidûment le Muséum de Paris, où l'étude des riches collections...
No, I don´t think so ... but most likely for danisi as in:

• Indochinese Fulvetta (Alcippe) Fulvetta (ruficapilla) danisi DELACOUR & GREENWAY 1841 (OD unseen by me) a k a Fulvetta/Alcippe de Danis (in French) or Danis' Nontimalia (in Dutch) ... as today's HBW Alive Key gives us:
danisi
Lt. Vincent Danis (d. 1943) French ornithologist, Free French Army 1940-1943 (subsp. Alcippe ruficapilla)

Last edited:
I don't find the actual thing, but Vuilleumier & Mayr, 1987 noted about it:

Given the above, the name refers to Charles Chubb (31 December 1851 – 25 June 1924), British ornithologist, author of The birds of British Guiana, the second volume of which appeared in 1921. His obituary, published in Ibis, is freely accessible [here] (p.780-782).

Just a question about the author. Is his name L. Irby Davis of Harlingen, Texas married with Anna Tarrence Davis? Think he was born in 1898. A couple of publications e.g http://bionames.org/authors/L Irby Davis but also here https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/249272#page/88/mode/1up

Anyway the The Eponym Dictionary of Birds is once again wrong with Cichlopsis leucogenys chubbi as OD here states:

I have named this beautiful solitaire Cichlopsis chubbi as a tribute to
the memory of the late Charles Chubb, an earnest student of tropical
American birds who, as the author of the 'Birds of British Guiana' and
(with Lord Brab6urne) of 'A List of the Birds of South America' rendered notable service to neotropical ornithology, and to whom I am indebted for much valuable cooperation.

So from the names only one is left for the son Ernest Charles Chubb.

So from the names only one is left for the son Ernest Charles Chubb.

Martin, in my MS [and notes] I have the following chubbi birds:

• Chubb's Cisticola Cisticola chubbi SHARPE 1892 (here), a k a Brown-backed Cisticola
• Rufous-brown/ Chestnut-throated Solitaire ssp. Cichlopsis leucogenys chubbi CHAPMAN 1924 (here, on p.15), as "Cichlopsis chubbi"
[• "Tyrannus chubbi" (or "chubbii"?) DAVIS 1979 (syn: Tropical Kingbird Tyrannus melancholicus VIEILLOT 1819), simply following/trusting this thread]
= Charles Chubb (1851–1924), ...

• (North Rhodesia/n) Red-capped Crombec ssp. Sylvietta ruficapilla chubbi OGILVIE-GRANT 1910 (here), as "Sylviella [sic] chubbi"
• (Marsabit) Green-backed Twinspot ssp. Mandingoa nitidula chubbi OGILVIE-GRANT 1912 (here), as "Pytelia chubbi"
= (the Son) Ernest Charles Chubb (1884–1972), ...

Thus; two for Ernest ... ;)

However; as always, don't hesitate to prove me wrong.

/B
--

Last edited:
Pan American Studies
1979 Tyrannus melancholicus chubbi Davis, 2 (1), p. 39

Just a question about the author. Is his name L. Irby Davis of Harlingen, Texas married with Anna Tarrence Davis?
I know (or knew) nothing (or very little) about "L. Irby Davis" (and absolutely nothing about his wife), but his full name (and years) seems to have been: Louie Irby Davis (1897–1987), a k a "Birdman of the Valley", author of "A Field guide to Birds of Mexico and Central America", etc., etc. ... see here, here, here, here ... or elsewhere.

In 1958 he described (for example) "Corvus sinaloae" (here, on p.163).

In The Auk (of July 1980, Supplement, of Recent litterature, here) you find:
[...]
A NEW PERIODICAL​

PAN AMERICAN STUDIES. Published by the Pan. American Field Students Assoc., c/o L. Irby Davis, 2502 Keating Lane, Austin, TX. 78703. ... The first volume (1979) includes several papers that propose new avian species and new genera. --H.W.K.

[...]
And, in the Bulletin of the Texas Ornithological Society (2017) you find "Louie" himself (with a Photo), here.

Hopefully of some help/use.

Either way; enjoy!

Björn

PS. Ouups! While I was typing away, inserting links, etc., etc, ... you managed to answer your own query.

Thus, no real need for this post, but instead of deleting it I will leave it here (as it might, could be, of value for someone).
--

Last edited:
Martin, in my MS [and notes] I have the following chubbi birds:

• Chubb's Cisticola Cisticola chubbi SHARPE 1892 (here), a k a Brown-backed Cisticola
• Rufous-brown/ Chestnut-throated Solitaire ssp. Cichlopsis leucogenys chubbi CHAPMAN 1924 (here, on p.15), as "Cichlopsis chubbi"
[• "Tyrannus chubbi" (or "chubbii"?) DAVIS 1979 (syn: Tropical Kingbird Tyrannus melancholicus VIEILLOT 1819), simply following/trusting this thread]
= Charles Chubb (1851–1924), ...

• (North Rhodesia/n) Red-capped Crombec ssp. Sylvietta ruficapilla chubbi OGILVIE-GRANT 1910 (here), as "Sylviella [sic] chubbi"
• (Marsabit) Green-backed Twinspot ssp. Mandingoa nitidula chubbi OGILVIE-GRANT 1912 (here), as "Pytelia chubbi"
= (the Son) Ernest Charles Chubb (1884–1972), ...

Thus; two for Ernest ... ;)

However; as always, don't hesitate to prove me wrong.

/B
--

What about Oceanites nereis chubbi probably a syn of Garrodia nereis?

What about Oceanites nereis chubbi probably a syn of Garrodia nereis?
According to my "reference library"; the dear old HBW (no longer Alive) Key had the following entry (per 8th of July, 2017):
chubbi
● Charles Chubb (1851-1924) British ornithologist at BMNH 1877-1920 (Cichlopsis, Cisticola, syn. Garrodia nereis, syn. Lamprotornis splendidus lessoni, syn. Tyrannus melancholicus (Laurent Raty in litt.)).
● Ernest Charles Chubb (1884-1972) British ornithologist (son of Charles Chubb), Assistant Curator Bulawayo Museum, Curator Durban Museum (subsp. Mandingoa nitidula, subsp. Sylvietta ruficapilla).

Note: my MS is far, far less comprehensive in comparison to James's ditto (and certainly so when it comes to scientific names), simply as I've been focusing on the Common/Vernacular Bird names (and mostly the Swedish ones, which makes it even less complete).

There's no need to reinvent the wheel ;)

/B
--

Last edited:
Yes Mark I wondered the same but this guy was a monk:

"When the Communist Chinese invaded Tibet in the early 1950s, Geshe Wangyal escaped to India. Then in 1955, he was sent to the United States by the Dalai Lama to work as a lama"

There is a chance it was but I think Wangyel is quite a common name...Ngawang Wangyal is quite famous and even worked for the CIA and I assume Koelz would have mentioned this - unless Koelz was a deep-cover CIA agent masquerading as an ornithologist - stranger things have happened.

Charles Bells "Wangyel" was Sönam Wangyel (Kusho) Palhese.

He is illustrated here: https://lecatablog.wordpress.com/20...e-des-nations-lettres-charles-bell-1927-1928/ and is too old.

P

Last edited:
"unless Koelz was a deep-cover CIA agent masquerading as an ornithologist - stranger things have happened."
Koelz traveled to Iran on a project of plant exploration (sponsored by the U.S. Department of Agriculture) from late 1939 to early 1941.
https://www.press.umich.edu/11396345/persian_diary_1939_1941 .
And in 43 and 44.
https://lsa.umich.edu/content/dam/ummz-assets/ummz-docs/koelziranlocalities.pdf . notice Vaurie as author.
Ripley from the Smithsonian was a spy:
The Lives of Dillon Ripley: Natural Scientist, Wartime Spy, and Pioneering Leader of the Smithsonian Institution
Roger D. Stone
University Press of New England, 2017

Taken from: Koelz WN. 1957. Persian diary, I. Asa Gray Bull. 3(2):133-176. [on archive.org]
p.137:

p.140 (with a picture):
Nothing new just what The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Mountain Bamboo Partridge ssp. Bambusicola fytchii rincheni Koelz, 1954, NCR [JS Bambusicola fytchii hopkinsoni]
Rinchen Gyaltsen (DNF) was a Tibetan friend of Koelz and one of his companions during his travels in India, Afganistan and Iran.

This states

rincheni: Tibetan term for ‘jewel’ or ‘precious’. Etymology not given by Koelz, but another example of his deep interest in Tibetan culture

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back