• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which would YOU pick.... (1 Viewer)

Chuck. For a 10x I actually prefer my Swarovski SV 10x32 and my Swarovski Habicht 10x40 W. Both are under 23 oz. so they are way easier to carry than either a standard 10x42 or 10x50 roof. The Habicht's with 96% transmission are brighter than just about any 10x42 roof and the little SV 10x32 will be as good as any 10x42 roof 99% of the time and it is a whole lot easier to carry especially on rough terrain. I believe you have one but the Nikon Monarch MHG 10x42 is under 24 oz. also and ie is a very nice lightweight 10x42.

Normal birding light I would tend to agree with you about the SV 10X32. The Habichts just don't work for me as far as birding goes. I have had the 7X42, 8X30, and 10X40. For all except the 7X42, not enough ER and the 7X42 barely is which I still have. For all the focus is WAY to stiff for me to shift from bird to bird especially during migration and it's too narrow of a focus wheel on all IMO. I had a SV 10X32 too...but I ultimately liked the 10X42 SV a little better.

The real question was AK prism 10X42 vs SP prism 10X50.

Robert,

I'm not denying pupil dilation decreases with age. I've read well over a dozen reports on the subject, but it is something that is wildly exaggerated by some on the forum. That particular study has important design limitations, but at least shows us that many individuals would benefit to some degree from a 10x50 over a 10x42 binocular well into their seventies.

From my limited experience, many of the best birders I've met have little regard to the quality of optics they use. Their abundent skills lie elsewhere. On one occasion I had the opportunity to try the Swarovski binculars and scope of an eminent birder and was astonished to find the lenses were so filthy and scratched I would deem them totally unusable, yet he knew with certainty that a particular blurred blob bouncing around in the glare was a little ringed plover. I have no idea how!

Of couse there are exceptions. A well renown nature cinematographer tried very hard to persuade me of the virtues of one of his sponsor's products, only to eventually concede he could see it's shortcomings too. I suspect it's rather easy to be misled by our heros.

I know I will ever reach anything approaching the level of expertise of either of those guys. Just figure I'll get to appreciate what I see more by getting the most out of the optics.

David

Last edited:
Normal birding light I would tend to agree with you about the SV 10X32. The Habichts just don't work for me as far as birding goes. I have had the 7X42, 8X30, and 10X40. For all except the 7X42, not enough ER and the 7X42 barely is which I still have. For all the focus is WAY to stiff for me to shift from bird to bird especially during migration and it's too narrow of a focus wheel on all IMO. I had a SV 10X32 too...but I ultimately liked the 10X42 SV a little better.

Yes, not wearing glasses sometimes I forget people who do need more eye relief. The Habicht's for that reason would not be a good choice for you with their minimal eye relief. I understand about the 10x32 SV versus the 10x42 SV. The bigger glass is easier to use if you don't mind the weight. I was just throwing out some different 10x choices for you. I have started appreciating the smaller, lighter binoculars lately especially when I am hiking a good distance.

Take them both. Decide which you like better in those conditions and then you’ll know for sure which to take on that type of day next time.

It would depend on how far I was going to hike. For a shorter hike or from a stand I would take the 10x50 SV because it will give a superior view but for a longer hike I wouldn't want to carry it and the Zeiss 10x42 FL would be good enough.

aside from the weight I do not know

it would involve the feel, the ergonomics ,
my bonding to them-the subjective factors

edj

This is a question (% brightness vs EP size) I've wondered very often and, given my inexistent optics knowledge I have to rely on what I've seen. No experience with the above mentioned 10x, but I did extensive tests between a 7x42 FL T* and an 8x56 Delta Titanium (SP), starting at dusk and down to full darkness (so to speak). It was usually a tie, in some occasions the Delta would give my eyes (I'm always talking about my eyes, mid 40's, never had visual issues, no glasses, good eyesight) a little more... but under certain circumstances (fewer) the FL would have the lead. So it would be something like 70 % of the time it was a tie, 20 % the 8x56 SP, 10 % the 7x42 AK.

On another level, I've been comparing the 8x30 E2 against a 7x33 Celestron Granite, and its the E2 over and over, 100 % of the time that seems to give me a brighter view.

I know in both examples there is a difference in magnification that can add to the complexity of the comparisons, but I'm pointing it out as a personal example :)

This is a question (% brightness vs EP size) I've wondered very often and, given my inexistent optics knowledge I have to rely on what I've seen. No experience with the above mentioned 10x, but I did extensive tests between a 7x42 FL T* and an 8x56 Delta Titanium (SP), starting at dusk and down to full darkness (so to speak). It was usually a tie, in some occasions the Delta would give my eyes (I'm always talking about my eyes, mid 40's, never had visual issues, no glasses, good eyesight) a little more... but under certain circumstances (fewer) the FL would have the lead. So it would be something like 70 % of the time it was a tie, 20 % the 8x56 SP, 10 % the 7x42 AK.

On another level, I've been comparing the 8x30 E2 against a 7x33 Celestron Granite, and its the E2 over and over, 100 % of the time that seems to give me a brighter view.

I know in both examples there is a difference in magnification that can add to the complexity of the comparisons, but I'm pointing it out as a personal example :)
Your right there are a lot of variables in determining which binocular will be brighter. If the light transmission is within a few % when comparing equal quality binoculars with equivalent coatings a 50mm will generally outperform a 42mm. Higher magnification helps under low light because it allows you too see detail better. Porro's like your E2 and the Habicht have high light transmission in general and are going to perform a little better than most SP roof prisms of comparable aperture although a roof with an AK prism will give the porro's a run for their money!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back