• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Prévost in Prevost's Ground-sparrow ... (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
This is just for the fun of it … it´s week-end!

Prevost's Ground-sparrow Melozone biarcuata PRÉVOST & DES MURS, (1842, 1846, 1855, citation years varies) was, according to its type description, in the eleven(!) volumes (and four different atlases!) of "Voyage autour du monde sur ... la Venus" (1840–1864) described by "FL. PRÉVOST ET O. DES MURS." . See attached file.

The two persons behind this description are, as I understand it:
the French naturalist and artist (illustrator of Naturalia): Florent Prévost (1794–1870).
(Also commemorated in for example: Green-breasted Mango Anthracothorax prevostii*. Not to be confused with his fellow countryman and colleague, the almost totally unknown Alphonse Prévost who is the one intended in Helmet Vanga Euryceros prevostii*) * according to Jobling 2010.

... and his fellow countryman, ornithologist: Œillet Des Murs (1804–1878) – whose full name was Marc Athanese Parfait Œillet Des Murs. His Christian name normally used, often written, without ligature, as; Oeillet.
(Also commemorated in Des Murs's Wiretail Sylviorthorhynchus desmursii*)

This time even Wikipedia seem to be on the right track! See links:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florent_Pr%C3%A9vost
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Athanase_Parfait_%C5%92illet_Des_Murs

But why I mention this here on Bird Forum was just the curious name the two gentlemen themselves choosed to call it: " BRUANT A DOUBLE CROISSANT " (= Double-croissant-sparrow). See attached file.

You just got to love the ingenious mind of some ornithologists!

Attachments

• Voy ... Venus. p. 177.jpg
    Voy ... Venus. p. 177.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Voy ... Venus. p.216.jpg
    Voy ... Venus. p.216.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Voy ... Venus. Plate.jpg
    Voy ... Venus. Plate.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 75
But why I mention this here on Bird Forum was just the curious name the two gentlemen themselves choosed to call it: " BRUANT A DOUBLE CROISSANT " (= Double-croissant-sparrow). See attached file.

You just got to love the ingenious mind of some ornithologists!

I'm very rusty with my French but could 'croissant' mean curve or crescent? It would make sense given the brown and white stripes around the ear coverts.

Lovely imagery though! :-O

Yes, "croissant" is the French word for "crescent". And while on the bakery theme, "baguette" is the French word for "stick".

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back