• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mr. Lazdiņš and "his" bird (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s a small possible addition on a little-known naturalist and an even less known bird, that I happened to stumple upon:

lasdini
● in the invalid Emberiza cia "lasdini" ZARUDNY 1917 [syn. Emberiza cia par HARTERT 1904]
= most likely the Livonian zoologist Dr. Voldemārs (Y.?) Lazdiņš [In Russian: Владимир Яковлевич Лаздин] (1887—1916).

Disclaimer: OD unseen, but see the following links; here (in Russian) and here (Latvian Wikipedia).

Compare with today's HBW Alive Key:
lasdini
V. J. Lasdin (fl. 1915) Russian collector, ichthyologist (syn. Emberiza cia par).
Good luck figuring out his true, full name!

Last edited:
Well found!

Excellent, Mark ... twice!

I guess that OD also gave us James's "unseen" OD of "Montifringilla alpicola prosvirowi"! See the following page, page 101 (No. 129/222).

What it says, I do not know, but there it is!

Way to go!

PS. Regarding Mr. Voldemārs Y. Lazdiņš (Post No. 1), I assume he has Livonian (not Latvian as I guessed), in Russian a k a Vladimir Yakovlevich Lasdin.
---

Last edited:
Bonus!

"Montifringilla alpicola prosvirowi"! See the following page, page 101 (No. 129/222).
= the Russian ornithologist Nikolay Vladimirovich Prosvirov (alt. Prosvirow) (ca.1893–1916), explorer of the Pamir, together (and killed together) with his Livonian (alt. Livonian/Russian) colleague Mr. Lazdiņš (Lasdin/Lazdin, in Russian).

That is if Google Translate did its job!?

He was also mentioned in that Russian article! See first link, in post No. 1. He´s the guy on the photo (attached), leaning on a tree trunk.

Also see the attached patchwork pdf.
---

Attachments

• Nikolay Vladimirovich Prosvirov.jpg
    Nikolay Vladimirovich Prosvirov.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Voldemārs Y. Lazdiņš, 1887-1916..pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 339
Last edited:
Just to add what the The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:

Emberiza cia lasdini Zarudny, 1917 NCR [JS Emberiza cia par] W. Y. Lazdin (V. J. Lasdin) (DNF) was a Russian explorer, collector and zoologist. He is also described as one of the outstanding explorers of the Pamir-Alai mountains (1915) where, like Zarudny (q.v.), he collected bird skins. He wrote in regard to Caspian Sea ichthyology 'Der Bau und die Entwickelung [sic] des Schadels von Exocoetus' (1913).

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back