• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Dohrn's … (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
A plausible minor addition on the following entry in today's HBW Alive Key:
dohrni / dohrnii
● Heinrich Wolfgang Ludwig Dohrn (1838-1913) German entomologist, collector on Príncipe 1865 (Horizorhinus).
● Dr Karl Augustus Dohrn (1806-1892) German businessman, entomologist (Ramphodon).
I think (!?) the correct full name of the latter was simply Karl August Dohrn, see links; here, here, here and here.

Born 27 June 1806, in Stettin (today's Szczecin, in Poland) … and he died in the same town, 14 May 1892. I guess "Augustus" is the Latin version of his Christian name?

And if we´re to be picky they were both Prussian, as Stettin, in Pomerania, was part of Prussia from 1720. I didn´t became part of the German Empire until 1871.

Cheers!

Björn

PS. And just for the fun of it, his second son, (the first-mentioned) Heinrich Wolfgang Ludwig Dohrn, is also found on Wiki (here)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back