• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinovid (1 Viewer)

dries1

Does anyone know why Leica changed the diopter on the new Trinovid (Model 40009) from the focus wheel to the right ocular tube.

Andy W.

It was talked about a lot in reviews back when it was introduced. The central diopter adjuster is
simpler when mounted on the barrel, and less expensive to make I'm sure. This is a common method on many of the midrange models like Zeiss Conqest HD, Nikon Monarch HG, and most others.

The Trinovid HD is a totally different design compared to the Trinovid, Ultravid models.

If you do a net search for reviews this will become clear.

Jerry

Thanks for the info Jerry I saw one 10X42 on the eprey site and it had the diopter on the focuswheel, from what i have read it is better built than the new HD, but not sure of the optics. I have the UV 8X42 HD and to me it is like a bright 8X32, small light package, nice glass.
Thanks again.

Andy W.

Thanks for the info Jerry I saw one 10X42 on the eprey site and it had the diopter on the focuswheel, from what i have read it is better built than the new HD, but not sure of the optics. I have the UV 8X42 HD and to me it is like a bright 8X32, small light package, nice glass.
Thanks again.

Andy W.

Andy:

That Trinovid model you refer to was the incarnation of the Trinovid that
was built on the Ultravid chassis, but did not have any HD glass.
Optics on that one were very similar to the original Ultravid.

I have closely compared that Trinovid and the newer Trinovid HD, and I
agree the build may be better in that reintroduced Trinvovid, but optically I found the newer HD better as in a larger sweet spot, and was brighter.

The Trinovid HD reminds me of the newer mid-range models such as the
Conquest HD and the Nikon Monarch HG.

Jerry

The Trinovid 10x42 (40009) with CF made from 2011-15 was an interesting model, completely different from the current "HD" (40319). We still have one, which my partner uses as it's about the largest she wants to carry. (Leica 42s are among the most compact.) I got very excited about it initially because it seemed to have a different ocular design for Leica with less field curvature (a rare experiment which they apparently gave up on), and for some reason the eyecup depth worked for me when the UV 42s didn't. I still think it's a nice glass that feels and handles like an UV for less money. It just never won me over because I'm used to a 32mm, and if I do go larger I want more than 42.

Thanks Jerry and Tenex for the update on these latest Trinovids. I have been looking through more 10X glass as of late and was just curious about that Trinovid in 10X42. I have been using a brand new FL T 10X42 and even though it is out dated to some, I find it a bright portable glass with excellent optics.

Andy W.

I bought what must surely have been one of the very last available 2011-2015 Trinovid 8x42's from Leica Mayfair in London last July. It was an ex-dem model with a slightly scruffy box, but the price was 60% of what they had been new and the bin itself was mint.

I bought it to compliment to my NV 10x42 and UVHD+ 7x42 as a relatively inexpensive all-round option when heading out with no particular purpose in mind. I have to say that I love that bin. The build quality is indistinguishable from the NV and UV, and the image, whilst not on the same level as the more expensive pairs, is truly excellent. Not quite as bright or contrasty as the NV and UV, as you would expect, but very much the same involving Leica view of the world. I had considered the Trinovid HD but after comparing them in the store it was a very easy decision (for me) to take the older model.

If you have the opportunity to snap a 10x42 I would recommend it!

I bought what must surely have been one of the very last available 2011-2015 Trinovid 8x42's from Leica Mayfair in London last July. It was an ex-dem model with a slightly scruffy box, but the price was 60% of what they had been new and the bin itself was mint.

I bought it to compliment to my NV 10x42 and UVHD+ 7x42 as a relatively inexpensive all-round option when heading out with no particular purpose in mind. I have to say that I love that bin. The build quality is indistinguishable from the NV and UV, and the image, whilst not on the same level as the more expensive pairs, is truly excellent. Not quite as bright or contrasty as the NV and UV, as you would expect, but very much the same involving Leica view of the world. I had considered the Trinovid HD but after comparing them in the store it was a very easy decision (for me) to take the older model.

If you have the opportunity to snap a 10x42 I would recommend it!

That is a terrific line-up of binos you have there Mike, pretty much a perfect balance.

We are on holiday just now and have been searching for some tiny rare flowers including Bog Orchid, Hammarbya paludosa, and have been using Trinovid HDs because of their genuine 1 metre close focus and all-round good performance. I could criticise them for their modest field of view but they did a really great job allowing us to identify and count Bog Orchids in sensitive habitats, surrounded by taller vegetation in situations where we could not just take one step closer due to the risk of trampling. In between plant spotting the smooth and fairly quick focus got us onto goodies such as Arctic Skua, Sea Eagle and Black-throated Divers. Troubadoris actually used them more than her Ultravids.

Lee

That is a terrific line-up of binos you have there Mike, pretty much a perfect balance.

We are on holiday just now and have been searching for some tiny rare flowers including Bog Orchid, Hammarbya paludosa, and have been using Trinovid HDs because of their genuine 1 metre close focus and all-round good performance. I could criticise them for their modest field of view but they did a really great job allowing us to identify and count Bog Orchids in sensitive habitats, surrounded by taller vegetation in situations where we could not just take one step closer due to the risk of trampling. In between plant spotting the smooth and fairly quick focus got us onto goodies such as Arctic Skua, Sea Eagle and Black-throated Divers. Troubadoris actually used them more than her Ultravids.

Lee

Thanks, Lee!

I can totally understand the attraction and usefulness of the close focus capabilities of the Trinovid HD's, and yes, I also noticed the smoothness of the HD's focus when compared to the 2015 Trinovid. Personally I preferred the more positive feel of the later though.
There's no denying that the HD is an excellent bino with very attractive properties at an attractive price, and I think Leica did what it had to do in order to stay competitive in the mid range market, but personally I bemoan the loss of traditional Leica build quality and feel compared with the previous Trinovid. Additionally, close focus is not a priority for me so it's not a consideration. If that changes I know what to buy! :)

Enjoy your holiday!

...have been using Trinovid HDs because of their genuine 1 metre close focus and all-round good performance. I could criticise them for their modest field of view but they did a really great job...
Wow, I hadn't noticed how narrow the FOV is on the Trinovid HD 8x42, compared to the 10x which seems quite good. Why would there be such a difference?

Trinovid 40008 /9

After procuring the archived Trinovid in 10X42 (40009), I picked up a 8X42 (40008) and could not be more pleased. They are built extremely well, (the original price for these new was approaching $1500, I got both for a bit more in price. I could see why Leica discontinued these, too close in price and quality to the Ultravids, so perspective buyers would spend a bit more and get the UVs.
They handle glare quite well, to me they are not heavy at all, others require less weight will likely be disappointed.
The FOV on the 8X42 could be a bit larger, the FOV on the 10X is in line with my other premium 10X42s. The eye relief/eyecups fit my facial features perfectly like the UVHDs. The 10X eyecups are a bit longer than in the 8X42.
Both IMHO have perfect ergonomics focus, shape and size, well done Leica.

They are a step up optically from the UV BR that is for sure, and about the same as the HD 8X42 in quality of view. Contrast and resolution is excellent and they are bright, not dull.
Overall I am very pleased with my new glass, and I know they are built the way the older BA/BNs were, to last.

I think the only glass I have with all the latest ED, HD, etc is the Bushnell Forge, and after comparing them in fun with the new Leica Trinovid, well there is no comparison, I was just having fun. These are definite keepers that will be thoroughly enjoyed.

There have been some historical comments regarding the newer Trinovid with HD being a brighter glass, well if I need a glass for very low light, I just reach for my FL 8 or 10X56. If I can't see anything at dusk with either of those, then I might as well hang it up.

Some pics below.

Andy W.

Attachments

• DSCF5220.jpg
    DSCF5220.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 234
  • DSCF5219.jpg
    DSCF5219.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 294
  • DSCF5221.jpg
    DSCF5221.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 241
Canip,

I got the 10X42 on CN, and boy I was impressed so I obtained the 8X42, it was sitting on a shelf in a Montana store for years, got a discount the MSRP and could not be happier.

Andy W.

Andy
What a great set of Leicas. Enjoy!
Bins like this deserve a good home and they have got one.

Lee

After procuring the archived Trinovid in 10X42 (40009), I picked up a 8X42 (40008) and could not be more pleased. They are built extremely well, (the original price for these new was approaching $1500, I got both for a bit more in price. I could see why Leica discontinued these, too close in price and quality to the Ultravids, so perspective buyers would spend a bit more and get the UVs.Andy W.

Hi Andy,

As I said a few posts back I also have the Trinovid 8x42 (40008) and think it's a great bino, and that's comparing it to my UVHD+ 7x42 and NV 10x42!

I too have wondered why the best ever iteration of the Trinovid (not saying anything against the current HD version, but it is a lower priced bino with cheaper build) lasted for only about three years, which is an extremely short time compared to most Leica models. I think one of the reasons is probably that rather than people buying the Ultravid instead because the price difference wasn't great, it may well have been the other way around! Some reviews suggest that the difference between the Trinovid and the UV was so small that many people could not detect a difference in the optics, and I think it likely that many people bought the Trinovid instead of the Ultravid for that reason. Leica probably found that they were competing against themselves and that the less expensive but virtually indistinguishable Trinovid was taking sales away from the Ultravid. Just speculation of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the reasons why they discontinued it. I'm very glad to have picked mine up for an excellent price as an ex-dem model from Leica Mayfair in London.

I'm not saying that there is no difference between the Trinovid (40008) and the current UV's, and indeed the 7x42 is a spectacular optic, but in my opinion the Trinovid is a beautiful bino in every respect, with performance very close to the current alphas, and I enjoy it immensely. Glad you managed to get a pair!

Michael.

Lee,

The Leica Trinovids have been a great surprise to me, both from an optical perspective and build quality.
I consider myself lucky to have obtained them since they are quite rare.

Andy W.

I've had my 2011-15 vintage Trinovid 10x42 for a couple of years now. The last of the Leica Portugal Plant binoculars before Leica moved Trinovid production to Kamakura Ltd. in Japan.

Based on mine I've found:

Pro's- excellent build quality with solid feel. No play in focus wheel which has got smoother with age. Well baffled. Focus wheel friction doesn't change in high or low temperatures. Leica rubber seems more robust than most. Unmatched value for money once they were discontinued. Rare

Con's- the last of the traditional Leica so no ultra-low dispersion glass types. Some CA. Not the widest FOV. The 10x42 is not as bright as Alphas in low light. Dry focus wheel design, so it will never feel silky like the better Nikons.

Last edited:
I've had my 2011-15 vintage Trinovid 10x42 for a couple of years now. The last of the Leica Portugal Plant binoculars before Leica moved Trinovid production to Kamakura Ltd. in Japan.

Based on mine I've found:

Pro's- excellent build quality with solid feel. No play in focus wheel which has got smoother with age. Well baffled. Focus wheel friction doesn't change in high or low temperatures. Leica rubber seems more robust than most. Unmatched value for money once they were discontinued. Rare

Con's- the last of the traditional Leica so no ultra-low dispersion glass types. Some CA. Not the widest FOV. The 10x42 is not as bright as Alphas in low light. Dry focus wheel design, so it will never feel silky like the better Nikons.

Leica is still making the Blackline and Silverline binoculars.

My 8x42 ULTRAVID Blackline was made in Portugal. I bought it in 2014. Do you know where they are being made now?

BOB

All my info suggests only the recent Trinovid HDs are made in the far east and all others made in Portugal, none in Germany. If this is wrong I would be very happy indeed to be corrected.

Lee

|:S||:S||:S|
All my info suggests only the recent Trinovid HDs are made in the far east and all others made in Portugal, none in Germany. If this is wrong I would be very happy indeed to be corrected.

Lee

Self deleted, after re-reading your post. Note to self..... don't post after a large Laphroaig!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back